Bug Report Crashing while OBS is left running without capturing

devguy

Hello I am using Linux Kubuntu 16.04 LTS and my system will crash after some time with OBS running but not in capture mode.

I have done this a few time and each time after a few minutes my entire system crashes and reboot automatically, and I can't figure out why?

I am using the official ubuntu ppa to install obs and have upload the following log files:

https://hastebin.com/oxagutuvul
https://hastebin.com/eyiqehakay

uname -a
Linux karma 4.15.0-24-generic #26~16.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jun 15 14:35:08 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I also have a dual monitor setup, when the crash happen I have firefox quantum "61.0 (64-bit)" running and I am watching youtube as a way to put some load on the system.

devguy

This seems to manifest after I switch to use the NVidia recommended driver, even after I switch back to Nouveau driver the crashing still occurs.

devguy

I've updated my NVidia driver to the latest using the PPA and OBS still keeps crashing, mind you this is on a fresh installed version of Kubuntu Linux.

https://hastebin.com/yoqigotini

Can anyone help me figure out how to fix the crash, it is really annoying that the entire system goes down.

Tuna

Userspace applications should never cause the system to freeze, crash or reboot. In worst case the application should exit or crash. This either sounds like a faulty driver or a general hardware issue. Did you try to track cpu/memory utilization while running? Maybe something extraordinary happens before the reboot?

devguy

Userspace applications should never cause the system to freeze, crash or reboot. In worst case the application should exit or crash. This either sounds like a faulty driver or a general hardware issue. Did you try to track cpu/memory utilization while running? Maybe something extraordinary happens before the reboot?

devguy

Well this only occurs after I switch to using the NVidia driver, so I was leaning towards a bug in the driver + OBS. I don't see this problem however until OBS is open.

I do notice the CPU gets maxed out when I have OBS opened and I am watching video. So it could also be something with OBS pushing the CPU load, which is just at 60% without OBS opened when watching videos.

It can't be memory as I have tons to spare. Not to rule it out, but if it was some hardware issue I should have see this kind of crash already occur with general usage, but only happen when OBS is open.

Tuna

This seems to manifest after I switch to use the NVidia recommended driver, even after I switch back to Nouveau driver the crashing still occurs.
So it does happen with nouveau driver too? Also memory not being enough should be handled by the OS. It may be faulty though which may be a problem. But 60% CPU in idle sounds quite high too imo.. Did you check which process take up the CPU? Is it OBS? Some other? Where is 60% in OBS indicator? in top?

devguy

So it does happen with nouveau driver too? Also memory not being enough should be handled by the OS. It may be faulty though which may be a problem. But 60% CPU in idle sounds quite high too imo.. Did you check which process take up the CPU? Is it OBS? Some other? Where is 60% in OBS indicator? in top?
It does not happen on a fresh install with nouveau, which however doesn't seem to keep up with simple screen capturing. The problem happens only after I install the nvidia driver, even then if I switch back to nouveau my system will crash.

Most of the load is coming from firefox when watching youtube, obs in idle seems to be taking 8% of the CPU.

Last edited:

devguy

On Linux, crash logs, if made, are located in: ~/.config/obs-studio/crashes
I just got OBS to crash and as I suspected there is no crash log. I also looked for the core file and there is none.

ulimit is set to unlimited

catblue44

Hi, did you find a Solution? I have the exact same problem, leaving the application running for about 2 minutes (not recording) and then my OS (Lubuntu 22.04) freezes, The only solution is to force a reboot.

UVCRR20

Sorry to necro this, but I am also having this issue now. I've just spent the better part of my night trying to configure OBS for a dual-PC streaming setup, only to have at least 3 unexpected resets of my computer in the meantime. This has persisted even after I reinstalled through Flathub (because all I wanted to do was add VLC as a source).

It may have been caused by me upping the resolution on my second monitor after changing its aspect ratio (from 1280x720 to 1600x900), or it could have been from me adding filter effects to my microphone to improve the audio. (Speaking of which, one reset happened while I was trying to re-order the filters in the menu, I was trying to click-drag right at the moment my system crashed, while VLC was playing a recording I made.)

I note that when OBS is open, one of my CPU's 8 cores will be loaded to near 100% at a time. The others will be below 20%, but one goes between 80-98%, and the load seems to shift between cores (unfortunately, I did not check this before today, so I don't know if this is historical or a "now" problem).

As with the others in this thread, this crash/reset happens even when I'm not even recording, let alone streaming, as does the odd high thread load. At least a couple of times, when I started recording just a feed of a static image to test audio, it threw up the "encoding overloaded" error, which then went away.

(FWIW, I have the canvas set to 1920x1080, but my actual native resolution is 2560x1440. For all I know, I probably just need to tweak my settings so that I actually have more overhead/use less CPU, or even just switch encoders.)

I've attached the most-recent OBS log, but there's the caveat that this was almost certainly on the non-Flathub installation. I can post more from earlier in the day, if that might help. I've tried digging through my system event logs, but I can't find exactly what happened with my system at those moments.

For specs:
OS: Fedora 37 (Workstation Edition, 64-bit, GNOME, X11)
Mobo: ASUS/ASRock P8Z77-V LX
CPU: Intel i7-3770K (8-core)
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti (with Nvidia's driver)
Memory: 16 GB

Attachments

• 2022-12-05 22-08-39.txt
    22 KB · Views: 15