Question / Help CPU Preset

scurra

Hey everyone,

I've got a question if it's worth to set up CPU Preset higher than Veryfast (I mean Faster, Fast, etc...).
Yesterday I've upgraded my pc so my current setup is:
Monitor: 24" AOC g2460PG
Case: SilentiumPC Gladius M35
Motherboard: ASUS TUF X470-PLUS GAMING - AMD X470
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
Ram: G.SKill RipjawsV 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING+ 8G
SSD: WD Black, M.2 2280 - 512GB
HDD: WD Caviar Blue WD10EZEX, 3,5" SATAIII, 64MB - 1TB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2, 80+ Gold, 550W
Mouse: ASUS Cerberus Arctic, bílá
Keybord: ASUS Cerberus Arctic, bílá, CZ
Headphones: Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum
Webcam: Logitech HD Webcam C525

I had i7-6700 and I was streaming on Veryfast/NVENC.
Now that i have the possibility to go for a "better" quality settings I wanna know if it's worth and perceptible on stream.
I've only had time to test stream on PUBG with CPU preset Veryfast and CPU Usage was 35-40%.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/269777480

Thanks all of you for the answers and help!

Boildown

6000 Kbps solves a lot of problems that people used to want a better Preset to solve before, when the softcap was 3500. With that CPU I think you can safely use a better preset though. Try it one step at a time and look for dropped/skipped/whatevered frames in the OBS log after each stream. You should, within a few streams, discover which is the best preset you can use while having no impact on your game.

scurra

Ok .. So far i tried to stream a few games (fortnite, r6: siege, pubg, poe and wow).

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/270036108

Settings was:

x264
CBR
6000 bitrate
Faster preset
High profile
720p/60fps
Lanczos

CPU usage wasn't higher than 45%.
I'm thinking if I can get a better quality without a significant loose of FPS.
Would love to know your opinion about a quality of video i've posted in this reply.

Thank you and have a great day

Quality looks pretty good. No blurry effects, no artifacts. As I'm seeing you are affiliate partner on twitch, so you could go up to 8000kbps bitrate.
But be aware of the fact that maybe not everyone will have good internet to watch your stream when using 8000 bitrate.

Also watch out your CPU when using 8000 bitrate. The higher the bitrate the more encoding needs to be done.

scurra

Srsly? I thought only partners can go above 6k bitrate. Thanks for this information.
I'm gonna try that asap and will try to write here same info about how that looks.

I'll wacht out for that but like I said CPU usage wasn't higher than 45% during playing and streaming PUBG and R6:Siege so I hope everything's gonna be Ok.

Thanks

scurra

Also... Do you think my upload will be ok if i put bitrate to 7-8k?
It's around 17Mbps (I can't try it right now, I'm not at home).

Thanks

scurra

So I tried to stream with 8k bitrate. Apparently as an Affiliate I'm not able to stream with bitrate higher than 6k. I set up bitrate to 8k but obs (streamlabs obs) was sending constantly 6k only and didn't go above that.

DEDRICK

SLOBS will limit your bitrate to 6K as that is the maximum Twitch allows, OBS has the option to bypass this by disabling "Enforce streaming service encoding limits"

You can push your preset to Slow on a 2700x @ 720p60, Medium @ 1080p60, as long as you don't mind losing a tiny bit of FPS. This will use up to 60% CPU during high motion

ScaryRage

Hey,
You are Streaming at 720p 60fps.
You can actually use NVENC with a 6000Bitrate and it would not look much worse. The Bitrate of 6000 makes even NVENC looks good.
You should really think about going for 1080p 60fps if you want better quality. But in my opinion its not worth stressing the cpu for a 720p 60fps stream if you are using an 6000Bitrate anyways. I would only stream with CPU if you are lowering the Bitrate which isnt really a bad idea for an non-partner.
Ofcourse x264 still looks better, but its not worth it losing so much fps for a little bit better quality.

SLOBS will limit your bitrate to 6K as that is the maximum Twitch allows, OBS has the option to bypass this by disabling "Enforce streaming service encoding limits"

You can push your preset to Slow on a 2700x @ 720p60, Medium @ 1080p60, as long as you don't mind losing a tiny bit of FPS. This will use up to 60% CPU during high motion

Medium @ 1080p? That's pretty high CPU usage. I have a dedicated Streaming PC with a 1800x OC (3,8GHz) and I can do medium@900p or faster@1080p. I know a stream who has a Threadripper (1950x) and can stream 1080p on slow.

scurra

Hey,
You are Streaming at 720p 60fps.
You can actually use NVENC with a 6000Bitrate and it would not look much worse. The Bitrate of 6000 makes even NVENC looks good.
You should really think about going for 1080p 60fps if you want better quality. But in my opinion its not worth stressing the cpu for a 720p 60fps stream if you are using an 6000Bitrate anyways. I would only stream with CPU if you are lowering the Bitrate which isnt really a bad idea for an non-partner.
Ofcourse x264 still looks better, but its not worth it losing so much fps for a little bit better quality.

I've got locked fps on 144 so even when i was streaming with Medium preset I was ok and reached 144fps without any problem .. I was streaming on NVENC but this just looks much better ... anyway thanks for reply ^^

DEDRICK

Medium @ 1080p? That's pretty high CPU usage. I have a dedicated Streaming PC with a 1800x OC (3,8GHz) and I can do medium@900p or faster@1080p. I know a stream who has a Threadripper (1950x) and can stream 1080p on slow.

With about 20-30% to spare on a 2700x, it helps that I am playing 1440p or 4K at times. PUBG use around 15-30% CPU with everything on Ultra @ 1440p, so 1080p60 Medium is the most it can do without skipping frames.

1080p60 Medium or 720p60 Slow use up to 50-60% during motion, 720p60 Medium only uses 30%, it's the best balance between quality and usage