Console Streamers, any tips on camera getting desynced?

caseythegamer91

Hi!

So I've been streaming off my PC for the longest time and have no issues. I've done a few console streams from my switch using the Elgato Game Capture HD. And I know there's a delay so you have to account for it. All of the audio stuff works out just fine. But my camera seems to get desynced after a while even with the video delay put on. It'll desync and then randomly resync. Any ideas what to do?

carlmmii

Disable buffering under the capture properties.

Keep in mind though, there will usually be sync issues with older Elgato capture devices, especially if they are USB2.0. This is inherent to the capture device, not OBS.

caseythegamer91

Disable buffering under the capture properties.

Keep in mind though, there will usually be sync issues with older Elgato capture devices, especially if they are USB2.0. This is inherent to the capture device, not OBS.
Thank you! Just to clarify. Should I disable the buffering for the Elgato or for the web cam? Or both?

And yeah I'd definitely love a newer Elgato soon. Just using what I had on hand.

carlmmii

If you disable your webcam, is the game footage still choppy? You may be running into a bandwidth bottleneck if both devices are connected to the same USB host controller.

caseythegamer91

If you disable your webcam, is the game footage still choppy? You may be running into a bandwidth bottleneck if both devices are connected to the same USB host controller.
Unfortunately disabling the webcam did not help. Whether we get it figured out or not, I greatly appreciate all the help

carlmmii

Sounds like it's time to upgrade the capture card then if it's having issues just by itself. Make sure to avoid USB2.0 capture cards -- PCIe or USB3.0 will have no issues with latency/bandwidth.

Vasile

Get a upgrade to Capture Card HD S+ 3.0 USB I even pick up HDMI splinter for my ps3 LOL. The audio was fine for both of them my webcam was Nexigo/with mic.

caseythegamer91

Sounds like it's time to upgrade the capture card then if it's having issues just by itself. Make sure to avoid USB2.0 capture cards -- PCIe or USB3.0 will have no issues with latency/bandwidth.
Yeah I was just trying to make do with what I already had. Thanks for the advice! Will definitely have to upgrade asap

FerretBomb

So I turned off the buffering and it makes the game footage really choppy. I'm not sure what to do about that.
Yep. That's what buffering does. Smooths out the video coming from a bad video source. But yeah, as you've noticed, it makes things drift to accomplish this.
I'd recommend temporarily swapping to a 1080p30/720p60 max USB 2.0 'cantlink'; they're about $10-20 on eBay, but from my testing they provide stable video and are an insane value for the price, if you don't absolutely NEED 1080p60. And being entirely honest, for a streaming capture, it isn't a need... you should be splitting the video out to a monitor rather than playing on the capture, just due to the capture latency inherent with all cap cards, plus OBS' additional handling/compositing/rendering delay.

Best-case though is a PCIe cap card like the Elgato 4K60 or just about any Magewell or Datapath. USB 3.0 device if you're stuck on a laptop.

caseythegamer91

Yep. That's what buffering does. Smooths out the video coming from a bad video source. But yeah, as you've noticed, it makes things drift to accomplish this.
I'd recommend temporarily swapping to a 1080p30/720p60 max USB 2.0 'cantlink'; they're about $10-20 on eBay, but from my testing they provide stable video and are an insane value for the price, if you don't absolutely NEED 1080p60. And being entirely honest, for a streaming capture, it isn't a need... you should be splitting the video out to a monitor rather than playing on the capture, just due to the capture latency inherent with all cap cards, plus OBS' additional handling/compositing/rendering delay.

Best-case though is a PCIe cap card like the Elgato 4K60 or just about any Magewell or Datapath. USB 3.0 device if you're stuck on a laptop.
Oh yeah I don't play from the capture. I look at my TV while playing. Everything works fine with the capture itself with buffering on. Just messes with the webcam.

I do greatly appreciate the advice. I'm going to try to upgrade as soon as I can.