Question / Help codec comparable to xdcam for recording?

k_huntington

(i thought i posted this already today, but i don't see it amywhere... so maybe i forgot to actually confirm the post??)

system specs:
windows 10 v1909
amd ryzen 9 3900x (clocked to 4.1 ghz)
gigabyte auros 570 mobo
evga nvida rtx 2060 super
32gb crucial 3200 mhz ram
4 samsung 1tb 860 evo ssd (media)
1 samsung 1tb 970 evo ssd (system)

settings2.JPG

the settings here for video recording. image quality looks great, but i can't get buttery smooth high speed scrubbing in premiere with the AVC codec. and i've tried a bazillion formats and encoders to try to get crisp, clean, image at a decent bit-rate that is super efficient on the processor... but i can't seem to find anything that matches what i was doing on my old system with XDCAM Ex 25. and ic an't for the life of my figure out how i even had that codec, or how OBS was even able to record with it.

i'm including a video i recorded real quick of performance with avc vs xdcam. can anyone think of any settings i can put in that will give me a very easy and light compression decoding at about 20mbps, with a clean and sharp image quality? i just can't find it. i tried HEVC, but it wasnt as clean and sharp. :(

video showing performance of xdcam vs avc

log file, but i don't think it's necessary for this...

FerretBomb

Don't EVER record to MP4 directly with OBS. Ever.
Record to MKV or FLV, and if you need MP4s, use the File menu->Remux Recordings to remux them into the mp4 container format.

Many video editors have severe problems with the MP4s that OBS records directly... especially Premiere, which can crash outright when fed an OBS native-mp4. The remuxed versions generally work perfectly though.
MP4 is also not a recording-safe format; if ANYTHING goes wrong during the recording (before the file is completely finalized), the entire recording will be irrecoverably corrupted... just a pile of digital garbage to delete and start the recording over.

k_huntington

Don't EVER record to MP4 directly with OBS. Ever.
Record to MKV or FLV, and if you need MP4s, use the File menu->Remux Recordings to remux them into the mp4 container format.

yeah i went to mp4 because premiere no longer supports flv or mkv both. lol i tried TS, but it seemed like it was even more sluggish. i'll try the remux thing and see if that performs any better.

k_huntington

recorded a 90 minute video in mkv, then remuxed to mp4, ts, mov, none of them are buttery smooth scrubbing. have no idea why with a pc that will rip the paint off the walls screaming, i have to make proxies to efficiently work with this video. it has to be the type of AVC codec that OBS uses, cause the xdcam files i made in OBS worked perfectly. :( current project i recorded about 18 hours of playing Dark Souls 3 to make a 4 minute video on. i broke it up into several 90 minute recording sessions. so i make a sequence, put all 22 clips in the sequnce. i should be able to load that sequence into my source monitor and quickly zip through finding shots i want to use and piece it together. but it was just a slow miserable experience, so i ended up making standard def 600kbps mpeg2 proxies to rip through at light speed. but with my old rig when i was making xdcam clips i never once had to make proxies. it just worked. however with the old rig it was also just as miserable to work with obs's AVC files.