Resource icon

Closed Captioning via Google Speech Recognition 0.0.8

Matthew Sigal

I've just started using this plugin and it seems to work pretty well! I was just wondering if all there is a reference page somewhere that goes over all the options?
I've been using the plugin to record lectures and find that the captions will run *very long* (like take up the entire screen long) since lectures don't really have as much silence as, say, dialogue. In particular, I am hoping to find a way to have the plugin display less lines at a time.

MonicaElleRose

I've been using this for over a year and I love it. I never wanted to use any other kind of addon that requires me to keep a browser source open during my streams or broadcast.
This saves that. In the last year I have noticed my computer doesn't spike in cpu usage because of this app, my streams are accessible, and this also works on mobile apps using twitch's native close captioning feature. I like that it is done through twitch and google and not causing burn in on my stream. It is pretty close to accurate translation of what I say. I hope that this becomes a built in feature in future obs updates soon.
I also like that it gives me the option to preview my captions, save them for vods, export them, and it also lets me save my close captions on twitch vods/ clips too.
On top of that, it also lets the user select the audio source for the captions which is great if someone uses multiple input devices

johnbyrne

Seeing as how you made this work with Google Speech Recognition, do you think you could make it work with Google Translate? While I get that it wouldn't be perfect, it would be pretty damn amazing! :)

chrislim

Very cool. I don't suppose it is possible to also invoke Google translation on the captions (with more delay as it needs more words) to give subtitles in another language? That would be very cool when I present to other parts of the world.

And it may seem strange, since properly embedded text subtitles are the best way to do this, but if not using twitch, it could make sense to create a virtual video source to include in your scene which overlays the subtitles into the video as hardsub. Then they could go out OBS virtualcam or go into recordings -- or is there another way to do that?

I've been working on a solution for OBS closed captioning/subtitles that combines speech recognition and automatic translation both via overlays for hardsubs and as closed captions (which as of now is working on Twitch).

Would like to hear more about how you're doing multilingual presentations today if you'd like to DM me!

FelipeGlauber

Captioning is amazing! Very accurate, very rapid.

One issue.

Here is a VOD from before I added the captions to my OBS stream (sent to Restream, then Youtube, then of course re-encoded by Youtube into their quality presets).

Here is a VOD of mine from now, from now, after I added the captions.
Here is that same VOD on Twitch.

YouTube does not seem to play nice with these captions while re-encoding video. For some reason it causes massive encoding errors in the final product that look absolutely garish.

EDIT: And notice is still goes nuts every 30 seconds or so in this VOD of a much more low-noise, low-motion game...

Hi, it seems to be Restream related problem. I sent this bug to their track. Waiting some solution. I tested senting caption directly to YouTube and Twitch and the problems gone.

mortega

Hi,
I comes here looking for an obs plugin to transcribe meetings on different kind of softwares ( teams, skype, zoom and so on), I know this is not the core project, but I think the plugin you developed can accomplish the task, altought I know nothing about twitch and streaming. I simply tried to start recording with the plugin and I notice that it can transcribe my voice locally, but it cannot transcribe what I hear, nothing changes if I change the source audio input. Just to know if i'm doing something wrong and if you'll generalize the plugin to be also local only - streaming exlude. anyway thank you.

FerretBomb

Hi,
I comes here looking for an obs plugin to transcribe meetings on different kind of softwares ( teams, skype, zoom and so on), I know this is not the core project, but I think the plugin you developed can accomplish the task, altought I know nothing about twitch and streaming. I simply tried to start recording with the plugin and I notice that it can transcribe my voice locally, but it cannot transcribe what I hear, nothing changes if I change the source audio input. Just to know if i'm doing something wrong and if you'll generalize the plugin to be also local only - streaming exlude. anyway thank you.
You can work around this with Voicemeeter; just add a new virtual microphone, and run lines from your mic and your desktop audio together, and point the plugin at that device. Do NOT use that device in your meeting software. This plugin works fine local-only, if you configure it that way, though may have to be recording for it to enable.

mortega

You can work around this with Voicemeeter; just add a new virtual microphone, and run lines from your mic and your desktop audio together, and point the plugin at that device. Do NOT use that device in your meeting software. This plugin works fine local-only, if you configure it that way, though may have to be recording for it to enable.

really thanks for the suggestion, i'll give a chance in someway, but I really miss a native way to do it since i'm not local windows administrator and I think I cannot elevate my user as administrator to install voicemeter, in this state OBS is perfect in his portable version. Since voicemeter create virtual devices I thinks it need it. I'l try to install onto another pc and simply brutal copy paste the folders.
Thanks!

MarshMaui

Sooooo, followed plugin install directions precisely and the plugin does not show up in tools or anywhere else. Any help? Just updated OBS as well.

blckspkz

I recently downloaded the latest version of the CC app, and I'm having some issues. I followed the directions from the information on GitHub.

*** I know the screenshots show OBS is open the entire time, but I definitely closed the App and restarted my computer twice. After realizing I can't figure this out, I came to the forum.****

What I've done so far -

Download the macOS folder, unzipped the file, copy and pasted the cloud_captions_plugin in the ~/Library/Application Support/obs-studio/plugins

When I move the cloud_captions_plugin folder into ~/Library/Application Support/obs-studio/ - OBS will launch, but when I move it into the ~/Library/Application Support/obs-studio/plugins folder, the app crashes and doesn't open?

I appreciate everyone who put this app together, but I'm lost on what I did wrong?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 10.24.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 10.24.03 AM.png
    417.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 10.24.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 10.24.13 AM.png
    408.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 10.25.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 10.25.51 AM.png
    400.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 10.24.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 10.24.36 AM.png
    302.3 KB · Views: 106

ghast

Hi, I've been trying to get this plugin to work but for some reason it never does. So I'm thinking I just be doing something wrong and hoped you guys could help me.
I've tried the newest version, previous version and the version before that.
After I install the plugin I set it up to listen in on my muted mic source when my goxlr stream mix plays audio. I've also tried just using the Mic source and muting all other sources, tried using it directly with the goxlr source and tried doing clean installs of older versions doing the same thing but to no avail.
Whenever I talk, no CC is recorded, not in the built in CC function on twitch, nor on text sources set up to record them.
I've also tried to cycle between different versions of english in the language setting.
Does anyone know how to fix this?

KingTDN

Hi,

I have been testing this plugin with Viemo live. I am using OBS and streaming on a PC. I am having an issue with the text not being able to generate apostrophes when contractions are used, such as can't wouldn't, and shouldn't. The plugin text on OBS displays these works fine, but when I check the Vimeo stream the text does not display an apostrophe. The Viemo stream just inserts a space where the apostrophe should be. The Viemo text would generate like this "can t"

I am not sure why this is happening is there a solution to fix this?

DerHusky

I have a problem.
When I use the plugin, the captions are almost in realtime on twitch. When I save it as a srt-file: I got every 20 – 30 seconds, a section full of words that I’ve said in this time. Is it possible to save the srt-file like the captions on twitch? So, that I am able to import the file in Adobe Premiere and have only five words that I say and then the next one? I mean that the system will save it more like it was in the livestream / recording and I don’t have to waste my time to move all the words to the right positions?

I attach a screenshot from an example of the srt-file.

Attachments

• SRT_file_preview.png
    SRT_file_preview.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 79

RealGameCulture

I have an issue where open captions on screen via text work fine, but there seems to be no closed caption option when I stream.
Anyone else have this issue?

RicohLA

RatWithACompiler submitted a new resource:

Closed Captioning via Google Speech Recognition - Provides closed captioning via Google Speech Recognition Cloud API

Read more about this resource...
Hi! I've been using your plugin on Windows and it works like a charm. However, I couldn't install this plugin on Linux. I saw your Linux release on GIthub, and I've followed your every step on how to install it, but it doesn't work. (im a noob linux user btw). I'm trying to find your contact so I can DM, if you see this, please leave help me. By the way, I am using OBS 27 running on Zorin OS 15, it should be Ubuntu based distro. It would be appreciated if you could assist me. Here's my discord: RIcohLA#3915

JnrBones

Awesome plugin!!!

Really useful for transcript generation. Would be great to be able to output WEBVTT file format as well.

A small problem I ran into was trying to get the transcript file to save in a local account so when different users are using the computer it saves to their user folder path (i.e. C:\Users\%userprofile%\Videos). using '%userprofile%' in the file path field didn't work. Any suggestions????

To give context, I'm setting up OBS as a background software so the user doesn't interact with the interface and settings per se. . .

joealfonso98

I've been working on a solution for OBS closed captioning/subtitles that combines speech recognition and automatic translation both via overlays for hardsubs and as closed captions (which as of now is working on Twitch).

Would like to hear more about how you're doing multilingual presentations today if you'd like to DM me!
Is it possible to use this auto-generated speech-to-text feature to assign specific words to hot keys (commands). I’d love to be able to use this plugin to get an autogenerated profanity filter or use my voice to change scenes.

silentsands

Hi there,
it seems like there is some sort of bug or an issue. When using the plugin it stops working after a while and shortly it works fine again. Using German settings. Why are there breaks in the transaltions?