Closed Captioning via Google Speech Recognition 0.0.8

Supported Bit Versions
32-bit, 64-bit
Source Code URL
https://github.com/ratwithacompiler/OBS-captions-plugin
Minimum OBS Studio Version
Supported Platforms
Windows, Mac OS X
Provides closed captioning via Google Cloud Speech Recognition API as a standalone OBS plugin. It's fully optional to viewers and uses Twitch's built in caption support which works on livestreams and in VODs on PC, Android and iOS, no Twitch extension required.

Features:
  • Captions only when the microphone source is unmuted and active to ensure safety
  • Works live and in VODs, no Twitch extension required
  • Completely optional for viewers
  • Supports OBS delay
  • Requires no extra tools or website open
  • Supports many common languages with western character sets
Notes:
  • The caption delay is usually less than half a second and should not be noticeable to viewers.
  • The plugin only captions the selected audio source when it's not muted and when it's used on the current active scene to ensure safety and avoid any captioning when the mic is muted for the stream.
  • Video players with caption support like VLC can also show captions on downloaded VODs if enabled.
  • Only tested on Twitch.tv, other streaming services with native caption support might work but not very likely.
  • You can enable and disable the caption preview dock in OBS under View -> Docks -> Captions
  • The quality of Google's Speech Recognition heavily depends on the speaker and what is being said. The results are usually be pretty good in normal conversational settings like talking to chat but the recognition quality can go down noticeably when using ingame terms or other specialized vocabulary or during hectic speaking.
Captions should be off by default for most viewers but Twitch does sometimes have them enabled for some viewers for unknown reasons so occasionally some will be confused on how to turn them off and might need it explained.
  • On PC viewers can turn captions on and off using the CC button on the bottom right of the player.
  • On iOS it's a system wide setting: Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Subtitles & Captioning -> Closed Captions + SHD
    • If it's already off but viewers still see captions they have to turn it on and off again (appears to be a bug on some iOS versions)
  • On Android it's Closed Captions under the player settings options right beneath the quality selection. The option will only show up once the streamer has talked.
Requires OBS 23.2.1 (released June 15th 2019) or newer!
Author
RatWithACompiler
Downloads
Views
First release
Last update
Rating
5.00 star(s) 5 ratings

Latest reviews

Great plugin easy implementation and checks all my boxes might not be 100% correct all the time but that's to be expected :) It seems to get better from day to day.
Plugin works fine on Mac, but I no longer stream with it.

Any plans to find a way for it to work with the AMD Hardware encoder on Windows? I can tell that it's hearing my voice but it doesn't get sent to my streams.

Thanks for providing this, hope we can get that resolved though. Great resource as accessibility is a must!
For anyone wanting to add closed captioning to their stream, this is the absolute best way to go about it. No extensions, nothing cluttering your screen. The speech-to-text gets things right almost all of the time, barring things like usernames in chat. The best part is, since the closed captions are embedded with the stream, they save to the VOD, which doesn't happen with extensions!
As well as zigarot, I agree and have been waiting for an update to provide an extension that gives cloud speech recognition or an improvement over the experimental one integrated with OBS. This should be fully integrated and replace obs's experimental one. I strongly urge any streamer who uses OBS over any other platform (slobs, xsplit, ect) that this will make you drool. it's a great tool. Use it!
While there are many "closed caption" options available for streaming, They usually involve a twitch extension or an overlay that you put in as a source, rendering them mandatory viewing for all viewers.
Meanwhile, the existing OBS studio Closed caption (experimental) option works as a great CC option that viewers can turn on and off on stream, HOWEVER it is absolutely abysmal to the point of I only used it as a joke. It just doesn't recognise Australian English at all, even if you train the Microsoft Speech Recognition in Windows.
This completely changes the game and I have been waiting YEARS for someone to make it. If you are a twitch streamer, make sure to put a tag on your stream for "closed caption" so our hard of hearing viewers can benefit!