Question / Help Capturing VHS only black and white

Deckdentisch

Hey, I know this is probably not the most interesting problem to you guys, but I am trying to capture old VHS home videos. So, I got one of those capture sticks (CSL USB 2.0 Grabber) and my dads old VCR (Panasonic NV-FJ615) hooked up to my computer. When I configure OBS I don't get a picture using PAL (any of them), on NTSC_M and NTSC_M_J I do, but only in black and white. Same with any other capture software I tried (even the shitty one they include with the stick). On a TV it's all fine, so it has to be either the shitty USB grabber or something software related, right?

I was wondering if anyone had experience with this in any way and could maybe help.

Thanks!

koala

According to the Amazon reviews, this device is widely used. From an installation base so huge, you can safely assume the device definitely supports PAL. In german Amazon, there is this review:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/customer-r...ef=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00EOMIDXG
Ich habe den CSL USB 2.0 Audio/Video Grabber gekauft, um meine alte S-VHS-Familienvideosammlung zu digitalisieren, nachdem einer meiner zwei Recorder kaputtgegangen ist.
Anschließen und Installation mit der mitgelieferten CD waren problemlos, ein kleines deutsches Handbuch war dabei.
Mein PC: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit.
Das mitgelieferte Programm zur Digitalisierung "honestech VHS to DVD" habe ich zwar installiert aber nicht zum Digitalisieren verwendet, da ich Magix Video Deluxe habe (2014).

Wichtige Hinweise, damit das Digitalisieren ohne Probleme klappt:
- richtiges Device (Gerät) als Eingang auswählen
- verwendeten Videoeingang auswählen (S-Video oder Compisite), sonst wird das Bild z.B. schwarzweiß oder fehlt
- richtige Einstellungen für PAL-Video wählen, sonst kann es z.B. sein, dass der Ton fehlt oder das Bild oder beides:
PAL, 720 x 576 Pixel, 25 Frames/sec., Seitenverhältnis 4:3 oder 16:9 je nach Quellmaterial, Stereo.
Bei Magix kann man die Videoqualität des Encoders noch wählen.
Ich nehme maximale Bitrate und maximale Qualität bei MPEG-2 Format.
I have the feeling you might be German, so you will understand the settings it mentions. If not, I apologize, and then Google Translate is your friend.

Deckdentisch

Yeah, I will try using Magix.
The thing is, yes I am German (half American), but we used to send home videos to my grandparents in America filmed on a camera and tapes bought in the US, so I'm not too sure about the whole NTSC or PAL thing. I don't see what my problem would be using OBS, though. I've tried basically all the settings, it's weird.