Capturing audio file in OBS and sending it to Zoom, while recording Zoom audio in OBS.

chle

Hello!
This is more of a "Am I right in trying to do it this way" and "If there's a simpler way, please let me know" kind of question.
My team is doing a live play of sorts, where we are using Zoom to bring actors and sound design to OBS, which we then live stream to Twitch. So right now, my set up is setting VB Cable Input as speakers in Zoom and using Audio Input Capture, set to VB Cable Output, in OBS.
Now, we have a video clip that we are using in OBS where the actors would need to hear the audio to time their lines appropriately. So I would need to somehow capture the audio in OBS and send it to Zoom. While s
Do correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe using New Tek NDI allows you to capture sound in OBS and send it to Zoom. My question is it too much to use both VB Cable and NDI to what I'm looking to do? I do have VB Cable A and B, but after playing around with it, I haven't had any luck in get sound from OBS to Zoom. So before I try NDI, I'm curious to see what other people think.

Hello!
This is more of a "Am I right in trying to do it this way" and "If there's a simpler way, please let me know" kind of question.
My team is doing a live play of sorts, where we are using Zoom to bring actors and sound design to OBS, which we then live stream to Twitch. So right now, my set up is setting VB Cable Input as speakers in Zoom and using Audio Input Capture, set to VB Cable Output, in OBS.
Now, we have a video clip that we are using in OBS where the actors would need to hear the audio to time their lines appropriately. So I would need to somehow capture the audio in OBS and send it to Zoom. While s
Do correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe using New Tek NDI allows you to capture sound in OBS and send it to Zoom. My question is it too much to use both VB Cable and NDI to what I'm looking to do? I do have VB Cable A and B, but after playing around with it, I haven't had any luck in get sound from OBS to Zoom. So before I try NDI, I'm curious to see what other people think.

There are many ways and most of them don't work right, you always going to have some problem here or there. Your goal it to have the sound working the way you want before entering to OBS or exiting OBS to any other application or streaming. I made a how to do that but I am not allow to share links here of youtube. The problem is that I will have to write two bibles showing all the steps you need. So here goes a very short version or just watch what I did in YT.

1. Always use a audio mixer, virtually or hardware to control your sound. PERIOD!
2. By using a software like VoiceMeeter, you get all the inputs just right, but you need to know how that work and what not work. The simple Virtual Cable is not great with sound, too many things that can go wrong with. So, don't use for important sound. use the VoiceMeeter Aux Vaio with Sample rate on everything to 48khz.

Make sure you have this on the sound control:
1601349468254.png

1601349516708.png

1601348249814.png

Now on VoiceMetter make sure you use Vaio for the voice/Zoom/Skype call and the music AUX and sent them to B2. So OBS or any other application will use as the audio source.
1601348351285.png

Now, In OBS, if you have a video with sound, then you do this: You change the video source in OBS to Monitor Only (Mute Output) so it goes to voicemeeter. Adjust the audio out sinc if exti with the Sync Offeset, try around 90. see if that fix is any out sync comes about.
1601348846632.png

So, when you are in ZOOM, Streaming, etc... the main audio is being mixed on a hardware or VoiceMeeter, got it? then you send the audio to whatever platform, record, etc. So, you always going to have a perfect audio no matter what. Always use dedicated software or hardware that does best what it was created for. OBS is not an audio mixer. it is a digital switcher that you can mix some audio. And adding plug-ing is a nightmare in OBS. Use a real dedicate audio software and feed what you want to do. Got it?

I hope this helps. hard to show when is not in video.

Best,

For more YT InteractiveDNA

Last edited:

chle

There are many ways and most of them don't work right, you always going to have some problem here or there. Your goal it to have the sound working the way you want before entering to OBS or exiting OBS to any other application or streaming. I made a how to do that but I am not allow to share links here of youtube. The problem is that I will have to write two bibles showing all the steps you need. So here goes a very short version or just watch what I did in YT.

1. Always use a audio mixer, virtually or hardware to control your sound. PERIOD!
2. By using a software like VoiceMeeter, you get all the inputs just right, but you need to know how that work and what not work. The simple Virtual Cable is not great with sound, too many things that can go wrong with. So, don't use for important sound. use the VoiceMeeter Aux Vaio with Sample rate on everything to 48khz.

Make sure you have this on the sound control:
View attachment 61489
View attachment 61490

View attachment 61486

Now on VoiceMetter make sure you use Vaio for the voice/Zoom/Skype call and the music AUX and sent them to B2. So OBS or any other application will use as the audio source.
View attachment 61487

Now, In OBS, if you have a video with sound, then you do this: You change the video source in OBS to Monitor Only (Mute Output) so it goes to voicemeeter. Adjust the audio out sinc if exti with the Sync Offeset, try around 90. see if that fix is any out sync comes about.
View attachment 61488

So, when you are in ZOOM, Streaming, etc... the main audio is being mixed on a hardware or VoiceMeeter, got it? then you send the audio to whatever platform, record, etc. So, you always going to have a perfect audio no matter what. Always use dedicated software or hardware that does best what it was created for. OBS is not an audio mixer. it is a digital switcher that you can mix some audio. And adding plug-ing is a nightmare in OBS. Use a real dedicate audio software and feed what you want to do. Got it?

I hope this helps. hard to show when is not in video.

Best,

For more YT InteractiveDNA
Thank you so much! I will definitely be looking into this!!

EdK

Hi InteractiveDNA......found your solution most helpful. I understand what you described to chle.
Was wondering if you could help me out also. Here's my setup:

-I have live actors in a studio which I'm capturing video with a camera and audio with overhead (hanging mics).
Mics are plugged into an external mixer and that mixer's output is being sent into 'line in' of a sound card in my PC.
-I also have live actors participating via Zoom.
-Playing pre-recorded music tracks via Multiplay (program) for all to sing to (including the Zoom participants). To avoid latency
issues, the Zoom participants were video pre-recorded individually then those videos were mixed together video editing software
to create a single video file. During the livestream, I simply play that video at the appropriate time.
-Live Zoom participants need to see and hear what's taking place in the studio and vice-versa (studio participants need to see and hear the live Zoom participants).

I've got all that working. Experiencing a little bit of latency here and there but not enough to worry about. My main issue is....
I need to prevent the audio being capture live in the studio from being sent back into the studio to minimize feedback issues.
I'm using Voicemeeter Banana/Potato along with VB-Cable. To minimize feedback, I want to send all audio that's being captured
in VoiceMeeter (EXCEPT the in-studio mics) back into the studio because OBS only has one "monitor output" and OBS does not provide and "Output Only" for each source. The only options available are "Monitor Off", "Monitor Only" and
"Monitor and Output".

Therefore in VoiceMeeter I'm mixing together input channels (A1, A2, etc) and the "virtual inputs" and selecting which channels
I want to sent to VoiceMeeters outputs (B1, B2, etc). B1=local speakers, B2=virtual output to OBS.

I'm running into a situation in OBS. Seems OBS won't capture the virtual audio signal coming from VoiceMeeter. I can see the
audio signal in VoiceMeeters VU meeters everywhere I expect it to be. OBS (Audio Input Capture) can see the virtual outputs from VoiceMeeter (B2) but OBS's VU meters show no activity.

After searching this forum as well as VoiceMeeters forum I discovered that OBS has a problem capturing ASIO output from VoiceMeeter. So, in place of that I thought I'd try using VB-Cable instead however that doesn't work either. (OBS 'sees' VB-Cable but again, there's no audio signal present....yet I can see the audio activity in VoiceMeeter VU meter).

Do you have any idea what's going on? Am I missing something? Or perhaps there's better way to send selected audio channels from Voicemeeter into OBS?

Thanks! Ed