Cant get fps to stay above 30

Mochread

my pc specs are:
Nvidia 2060
I9-10900k
16g of ram
MEG z490 Godlike

my problem:
No matter what settings i set my OBS to it just wont stay above 30 frames. I try to run it at 60fps but it will drop down to even 5 fps. I did a little reading and somewhere it said maybe my gpu is getting overloaded so i threw a second gpu in (gtx1050) for my second monitor to run OBS alone and now it says its streaming/recording at 60 frames (mostly) but then when you go back its actually recording at 1 frame per minuet.
I have been fiddling with this for months and it just dosent work no matter what so help is greatly appreciated

ckbrewer15

I am running the 2060 super. I have been having similar issues since updating to Windows 11. Whether it's because Windows 11 itself or if it reset some settings somewhere, I am unsure. I am not sure what you are recording but for me the most issues are with gaming. If I start OBS and then start the game, it will drop to 10-20 fps and all over the place. If I start the game and then open OBS, it's a stable 60fps. On Win 10 I never had these issues, I am not sure exactly what it is.

FerretBomb

I have been fiddling with this for months and it just dosent work no matter what so help is greatly appreciated
Post a logfile from a recording or streaming session at least 30 seconds in length, and we will be able to diagnose and troubleshoot.
Spoiler: Putting in a second GPU is only ever going to HARM performance in OBS, not help. Remove it.

Mochread

Thank you for the replies, I'll post a log when I get home and I'll remove the 1050
I'm also on windows 10 if that helps at all

Mochread

Post a logfile from a recording or streaming session at least 30 seconds in length, and we will be able to diagnose and troubleshoot.
Spoiler: Putting in a second GPU is only ever going to HARM performance in OBS, not help. Remove it.

Attachments

• 2021-11-28 02-24-55.txt
    80.8 KB · Views: 26

FerretBomb

Unfortunately that logfile only shows OBS being started, switching between a few scenes, then being exited again. No recording or streaming session present.

It DOES appear you have a Monitor Capture in the same scene as a Window Capture (your 'windowed game' scene) which can cause performance issues; MCs very regularly conflict when present alongside a WC or GC, and should be avoided when at all possible.

Mochread

Unfortunately that logfile only shows OBS being started, switching between a few scenes, then being exited again. No recording or streaming session present.

It DOES appear you have a Monitor Capture in the same scene as a Window Capture (your 'windowed game' scene) which can cause performance issues; MCs very regularly conflict when present alongside a WC or GC, and should be avoided when at all possible.

Im sorry about that ill try a different Log

Attachments

• 2021-11-24 22-34-19.txt
    131.5 KB · Views: 22

FerretBomb

Unfortunately that log also does not contain any recording or streaming session.
You can open OBS, do a streaming/recording test, end the stream/recording, then go to the Help menu, Log Files, Upload Current Logfile and paste the URL it gives you here. :)

FerretBomb

01:11:29.332: Output 'adv_stream': Total frames output: 11317
01:11:29.332: Output 'adv_stream': Total drawn frames: 11427 (11459 attempted)
01:11:29.332: Output 'adv_stream': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 32 (0.3%)
Yeah, that few rendering stalls could just be due to game-loading delays and bus jamming. :/
We'll need to see one from when it's really misbehaving to be able to figure out what's going on.

Recommendations:
-NEVER stream over wifi. Run a cable. Wifi is meant for lightweight content consumption on mobile devices; it isn't a replacement for a cable, and is VERY susceptible to interference.
-Is there a reason you aren't using NVENC as your encoder? On the 20-series card it will deliver video quality on-par with x264 Slow, with no in-game impact so long as you don't use the Max Quality preset, and make sure Lookahead and Psychovisual Tuning are turned off. NVENC is a separate part of the GPU that just sits idle if you aren't encoding video.

Mochread

Yeah, that few rendering stalls could just be due to game-loading delays and bus jamming. :/
We'll need to see one from when it's really misbehaving to be able to figure out what's going on.

Recommendations:
-NEVER stream over wifi. Run a cable. Wifi is meant for lightweight content consumption on mobile devices; it isn't a replacement for a cable, and is VERY susceptible to interference.
-Is there a reason you aren't using NVENC as your encoder? On the 20-series card it will deliver video quality on-par with x264 Slow, with no in-game impact so long as you don't use the Max Quality preset, and make sure Lookahead and Psychovisual Tuning are turned off. NVENC is a separate part of the GPU that just sits idle if you aren't encoding video.
Last night my card was running at 100% with a game open and obs. i figured it might run better with how beefy my pc is. Ultimatrly i have no idea what im actually doing so i can change it back to the NVENC encoder

Mochread

Recommendations:

Attachments

• 2021-11-30 09-40-03.txt
    17.4 KB · Views: 18

FerretBomb

09:44:49.775: Output 'adv_stream': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 2852 (18.4%)
09:44:49.776: Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 4012/10521 (38.1%)
The rendering lag indicates that your GPU is overloaded, or unable to complete rendering each frame in time to provide it to the encoder (which can be caused by slow sources, browser sources most commonly). This also could be partly because the 1050 is still in the system, and is likely splitting the bus bandwidth for your primary GPU down to x8 mode, which will make any bus-jamming worse. You might also enable vsync/fastsync (but NOT gsync) in your game to limit the GPU utilization.

The encoder lag means that your CPU is being overloaded and cannot keep up with the encoding load, even on x264 Ultrafast. Some of this MAY be from the rendering lag, but as the number is almost double, it is its own standalone problem. Which is very strange given the CPU in your system should be able to handle that.

As the next step (aside from removing the 1050, and running a network cable) I'd recommend creating a new blank Scene Collection, add just a Game Capture to it, and see if the issue persists.