Bitrate is causing my recording/streaming to look pixelated/blurry when moving around.

JoeMama2

Specs:
GTX 1050 TI
Intel Core i7-10700F 2.9GHz

Whenever I try recording/streaming the video/vod looks very pixelated and blurry whenever I start to move in game. (I'm playing 1.16.1 in Minecraft btw)
I've tried experimenting with different bitrate by changing it and doing a test recording for each amount of bitrate and I can never really find a sweet spot
Yesterday I found that 29k bitrate made it look OKAY it wasnt as pixelated but it was still bad, the next day (today) I test record and the bitrate is terrible again, and I was still on the 29k bitrate, so I'm not sure what the problem is, I only have google chrome, discord, Minecraft and OBS running while I record/stream, does anyone know the issue and how to resolve it? thanks :)

my obs settings:
Output for recording:
Encoder: NVIDIA NVENC H. 265 (new)
Rate Control: CBR
Bitrate 21000 (for right now, still looks pixelated even when changed higher or lower)
Preset: Quality
Profile: high
GPU: 0
Nax B-frames 2

Output for Streaming:
Encoder: NVIDIA NVENC H. 264 (new)
Rate Control: CBR
Preset: Quality
Keyframe Interval: 0
Profile: main
GPU: 0
Max B-frames: 2

Video:
Base (Canvas) Resolution 1920x1080
Output (Scaled) Resolution: 1920x1080
Downscale Filter: Bicubic (Sharpened scaling, 16 samples)
Common FPS Values: 60

Harold

Regular session logs are in %appdata%\obs-studio\logs
The last 10 launches of OBS (including the current one if it's running) are there

Harold

Ultimately, you should not be using a fixed bitrate for recording. You should be using CQP rate control for recording with a CQ level between 14 and 23. This tells the encoder to use the correct bitrate for your quality target, regardless of resolution, framerate, picture detail and content motion level.

JoeMama2

Ultimately, you should not be using a fixed bitrate for recording. You should be using CQP rate control for recording with a CQ level between 14 and 23. This tells the encoder to use the correct bitrate for your quality target, regardless of resolution, framerate, picture detail and content motion level.
Alright so I attempted to test record with CQP with numbers 14-23 and all of them we're still blurry/pixelated when moving around, although the best looking one was 18, but it was still quite blurry around the edges of things a bit burther away from me (I'd say 10 blocks cause im using Minecraft) also, after testing the last CQP level obs crashed when attempting to stop the recording, I'll attach both files of my attempts and the crash.

Attachments

• Crash 2022-02-09 13-51-23.txt
    101.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 2022-02-09 13-12-47.txt
    61.2 KB · Views: 28

Harold

At this point I suspect the crash is in the source record plugin.

CQP 14 should actually give you the least amount of pixelation.

JoeMama2

alright it's not pixelated as much anymore I appreciate it! also whats the difference between CQP and CBR? any tutorial that I watch always uses CBR, it seems to be the best one for quality sake.

Harold

CBR stands for Constant BitRate
CQP stands for Constant Quantization Parameter
You get one of two things when you record using it as your rate control:
1> Hard cap on picture quality
2> wasted disk space
There is no in between.

CQP sets a quality target for the video and lets the encoder choose the correct bitrate for the content.

If you're following youtube "best settings" guides, avoid them. They have a LONG history of giving terrible advice, regardless of what program they're for.