Question / Help Best Settings for Low-end PC.

D

Deleted member 230101

I have a PC with very low specs. It has a 2.00GHz Intel i3-5005u processor, integrated Intel HD Graphics 5500, 4Gb RAM and 64-bit system. I want to record and not stream my game. So, I request anyone to tell me the settings that can give me a lag-free gaming and recording experience.

Note: The quality can be a bit deteriorated. I do not want full HD content or such. Just a recording in which the game content is just visible.

Here is a log of my previous COD 4 recording: https://obsproject.com/logs/Hw5thohFf36YzRLX

Thanks,

Regards,
TheMindlessBeast.

Sukiyucky

An i3-5005U is a very slow CPU. If you compare say a very good gaming CPU (like the i9-9900K) versus an i3-5005U, you will see that the i9 is going to be 600-700% more powerful. I say this for you to realize that is the gaming standard today.

The onboard HD GPU you are using is also very slow. The standard GPU today is a RTX 2060 or GTX 1070. The difference in performance against your HD Graphics 5500 is that the GTX 1070 is 1800% faster than your HD 5500.

So in summary, your computer is not meant for gaming against todays standards. Its designed for general computing use.

Even though you can use it to game, adding OBS on top of it to capture will stress it out even more. The types of games you can use it for are lower end FPS types. Not for first person shooters that demand high FPS as its going to stress your computer, let alone be unplayable. You need to be doing at least 60FPS to be competitive and to make your recordings look naturally good. Even 60FPS is on the low end. Most FPS gamers do 144FPS and above these days.

Which brings me to your viewers who will be watching your content. Those that play COD do so at high FPS and expect to watch others playing at high FPS. If they watch your recordings, the fluidity and slowdown is going to be obvious and most likely, few will even watch it.

So I think you know this already. You really need a better computer. I just wanted to say the above to wrap your head around what you are dealing with and not to expect much with your computer.

Here's some suggestions on how you can try to make things a little better:
- Turn down all in game video settings to their lowest. Its not going to make the game look its best but will reduce CPU/GPU load.
- Reduce OBS recording resolution to 16:9 ratio 720p (1280x720) or 480p (854x480) and use Bicubic downscale filter.
- Lower OBS FPS to 24 or 30
- Set OBS Audio sampling rate to the lowest to save some bits - 44.1khz
- Avoid running services and other applications while you play. Its just your game and OBS Studio only.

RemonNoYatsu

An i3-5005U is a very slow CPU. If you compare say a very good gaming CPU (like the i9-9900K) versus an i3-5005U, you will see that the i9 is going to be 600-700% more powerful. I say this for you to realize that is the gaming standard today.

The onboard HD GPU you are using is also very slow. The standard GPU today is a RTX 2060 or GTX 1070. The difference in performance against your HD Graphics 5500 is that the GTX 1070 is 1800% faster than your HD 5500.

So in summary, your computer is not meant for gaming against todays standards. Its designed for general computing use.

Even though you can use it to game, adding OBS on top of it to capture will stress it out even more. The types of games you can use it for are lower end FPS types. Not for first person shooters that demand high FPS as its going to stress your computer, let alone be unplayable. You need to be doing at least 60FPS to be competitive and to make your recordings look naturally good. Even 60FPS is on the low end. Most FPS gamers do 144FPS and above these days.

Which brings me to your viewers who will be watching your content. Those that play COD do so at high FPS and expect to watch others playing at high FPS. If they watch your recordings, the fluidity and slowdown is going to be obvious and most likely, few will even watch it.

So I think you know this already. You really need a better computer. I just wanted to say the above to wrap your head around what you are dealing with and not to expect much with your computer.

- Turn down all in game video settings to their lowest. Its not going to make the game look its best but will reduce CPU/GPU load.
- Reduce OBS recording resolution to 16:9 ratio 720p (1280x720) or 480p (854x480) and use Bicubic downscale filter.
- Avoid running services and other applications while you play. Its just your game and OBS Studio only.

What about:

i3-5005u @ 2.00GHz
GEFORCE 920m
8GB RAM
64 bit operating system

Is this good ?

TheLostHacker

Wrong My pc is trash and it can run obs pretty good i have opened obs minecraft and firefox my pc is
intel core duo
2gb ram
intel integreted graphics
and also 2-3 years old
never lose hope you can do it i am going to upload too in youtube

And IT DOES NOT MELT FlamBleue

FerretBomb

Wrong My pc is trash and it can run obs pretty good i have opened obs minecraft and firefox my pc is
intel core duo
2gb ram
intel integreted graphics
and also 2-3 years old
never lose hope you can do it i am going to upload too in youtube

And IT DOES NOT MELT FlamBleue
That system is well below the minimum spec for using OBS at all. I don't believe you.

ADNThunderYt

then what about this
core i5 3230m 2.9ghz
8gb ram
intel hd 4000 graphics
i want it to just record minecraft in 720p and still get like 20fps in minecraft

ADNThunderYt

then what about this
core i5 3230m 2.9ghz
8gb ram
intel hd 4000 graphics
i want it to just record minecraft in 720p and still get like 20fps in minecraft
or this will also be good i have two laptop i wantto know which will run obs and minecraft better
intel core i5 4200u
intel hd 4400
12gb ram

FerretBomb

Bro... my pc is a fx6300 8gb 1600 ram 1060 6gb gpu and i cqn run and stream warzone... dont believe me proof is on my twitch...
Which is significantly better than a Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM and integrated graphics, like the guy I was responding to.

Hassan00

I have ryzen 7 3700X 8GB ram
what is the best setting for obs to have lag-free streaming
I stream FIFA 19. I get too many frame drops and encoder overload.
PLEASE HELP

B3Y4N

I am looking to start streaming on twitch but i don't know if my laptop is good enough to do so because it is very old. It has an i3 5005u processor so before i invest in a capture card, microphone, camera, etc. i need to know if it is possible to stream from this laptop in at least 720p or if i need to buy a new one. I only need to be able to manage the stream and obs on my laptop since i game on console (ps4).

qhobbes

As long as the motherboard supports Intel Quick Sync Video (QSV), that will work for 720p. I use a 3 year older processor for 1080p.

Haikal Prasta

But, how about my laptop? Here are the specs:
4 GB RAM
Intel Core i3-4010U @ 1.70 GHZ
Intel Iris Graphics 5100

Would you tell me the best configuration? I'm just want the smooth recording for my YouTube purposes.

qhobbes

@Haikal Prasta if your recording from a capture device, that should be fine (use QuickSync). You should be able to get 1080p30fps or 720p60fps. I have Win10 with OBS streaming and Chrome with 2 tabs and only use 3.7 GB of RAM. Just keep external programs and sources to a minimum. My OBS uses ~470 MB of RAM when completely minimized to system tray. My processor is a year older.

Ravinevil

I am having a very low specs laptop
Intel i5 and I have no other Graphics Card
4gb Ram
So you guys get it
I didnt get a smooth video as it was lagging in some parts and the cursor was teleporting while watching the video
So I did some settings stuff and I got good results
And mind that I got these good results with some background app running as I have classes
And I was trying to Display Record
So here you go the settings
Recording and Stream bits = 2250
FPS to 30
Lower Audio Settings
Yes I saw another persons reply and I got inspired but this actually helped which is why I am recommending people to do it
I havent tried playing a game cause I have exams and other stuff
But you guys can say what fps you all get
So try this out