Question / Help Best settings for i5-7200U? (2 PC setup. Using this as dedicated streaming system)

GenoOnAir

Hey,

I am new to streaming and to this forum too. I have been playing with OBS settings for like last 2 weeks. I use 2 computers, my desktop (i-5 6500 CPU 3.20GHz) as Gaming PC, and my laptop (i5-7200U CPU 2.50GHz) as streaming PC but the steam suffers with stuttering. I was looking for some suggestions to make it smooth. Preferably 720p.
Both the PCs are connected via ethernet, I use OBS on the desktop to stream at high bitrate and i capture that on VLC player and then use another session of OBS on laptop to stream VLC output on twitch.

Issues.

• My streams stutter quite too much.
  • The main issue seems to be with CS:GO. I don't use V-sync for CS:GO and have tried capping max FPS at 60 using console command, it didn't help.
  • Things used to stutter on VLC as well, but I just increased stream cache in preferences to 10000ms. Now, VLC output runs smooth.
  • OBS session on Laptop shows stutter in its preview.

Info
PS : The Internet is connected via Wifi, I know it isn't recommended, but my ethernet ports are already occupied.

Boildown

There's three streams in Streaming PC logs and all three had something like this:
03:55:39.249: Output 'adv_stream': Total frames output: 108548 (111436 attempted)
03:55:39.249: Output 'adv_stream': Total drawn frames: 111574
03:55:39.249: Output 'adv_stream': Number of dropped frames due to insufficient bandwidth/connection stalls: 2888 (2.6%)

You need to get on wired. Get a couple of cheap gigabit switches if needed.

GenoOnAir

There's three streams in Streaming PC logs and all three had something like this:

You need to get on wired. Get a couple of cheap gigabit switches if needed.
Well, about the dropped frames, I tried streaming at 540p, and had negligible dropped frames. But still the stream stuttered like a slide show. I doubt if that's just the wireless network issue.

Edit:

I just figured out it is VLC issue. VLC itself shows the stutter. I have tried increasing process priority of VLC, increasing stream outpot cache, network cache etc, doesn't help. Any suggestions anyone?

Last edited: