Best Downscale Filter

Josshhh

Hello,

I typically downscale my videos, and I'm wondering what downscale filter is the best. I've used Lanczos for some test videos, and it looks fine to me, although I don't know if it's the best option out there. I'm recording gaming videos if you needed that information by the way. Thanks!

qhobbes

It depends on the content.
"Normally bicubic is recommended. It's a standard rescale and provides good quality.
Lanczos is more of a personal-preference/situational thing; it's normally used for face-cams and other real-life video... it does have a higher sampling count, and OBS' implementation includes a sharpen pass; good for real video, not so much for synthetic video (like gameplay) where you may get some minor over-sharpen artifacting (like halo effects in solid color blocks). But you likely won't even notice unless you're specifically looking for it.

Default: bicubic (especially for full-frame downscales)
Face-cam: right-click, Scale Filtering, Lanczos"

Josshhh

It depends on the content.
"Normally bicubic is recommended. It's a standard rescale and provides good quality.
Lanczos is more of a personal-preference/situational thing; it's normally used for face-cams and other real-life video... it does have a higher sampling count, and OBS' implementation includes a sharpen pass; good for real video, not so much for synthetic video (like gameplay) where you may get some minor over-sharpen artifacting (like halo effects in solid color blocks). But you likely won't even notice unless you're specifically looking for it.

Default: bicubic (especially for full-frame downscales)
Face-cam: right-click, Scale Filtering, Lanczos"
Thanks for your explanation! I'll make sure to switch to bicubic for gaming videos