Automate 24/7 Stream for a scheduled Playlist

bcoyle

Greetings from Chile: I'm helping a friend to run a scheduler for his small TV Channel. Actually he is working with VMIX and playlists. I think it's possible to create a better opensource solution with OBS with a small home server. I have read some forums and videos, for example openbroadcaster (i like this project), or Castr (not free, maybe as a backup when electricity is off could be affordable) but the installation and guides are not fully available. I hope I can receive some orientations from your experience. Very interesting your channel (DCCATV).

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english!
Please tell me more about what you are trying to do?

bcoyle

Hello:
Put it simply: How to automatize a playlist with some ads for continuous streaming, in other words to use OBS with a software like Instaplayot or Marsis Playout

For considering: I think that the whole question behind this thread is to obtain affordable solutions for small creative channels. The solutions does exist, but only big networks can pay that. I have learned IMHO that the content is the most valuable think for the future of small TV channels, but spending thousands of dollars for a software is out of the budget.
If you are working on a affordable solution for linux, believe me, many people out there will support that idea and pay a reasonable price.

Thank you for your interest in asking
Casttor can do all that, it's just that it's a window program. It is written using Visual studio. I agree with you about the need for small stations and is why i'm going thru the beta process now to share with people. I think you have to decide whether it's worth it to you to deal with windows. Cast-tor is what you want.

bcoyle

I would be happy to try it, when will you release the program?
Hi, I'm bill. The program is in beta test right now. Could you tell me what you have planned or whether this is general interest. You can DM me if you wish to keep your answer private.I will need contact info etc. This is not open source yet and is a windows only program. It does work well. Here is the current test channel - sort of retro tv. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP0cpeiC6i8

Last edited:

bcoyle

Hello:
Put it simply: How to automatize a playlist with some ads for continuous streaming, in other words to use OBS with a software like Instaplayot or Marsis Playout

For considering: I think that the whole question behind this thread is to obtain affordable solutions for small creative channels. The solutions does exist, but only big networks can pay that. I have learned IMHO that the content is the most valuable think for the future of small TV channels, but spending thousands of dollars for a software is out of the budget.
If you are working on a affordable solution for linux, believe me, many people out there will support that idea and pay a reasonable price.

Thank you for your interest in asking
Hi. I'm curious. Would linux users not use a windows solution even if it was the solution to their problems. Just curious. I do understand that having to have an extra computer / expense might not be possible

Last edited:

Imbar

Hi .... this is interesting
I did some experiments and managed to create an integrated system using RadioDJ as an automation system and use OBS to visualize all the items that played. This becomes possible since RadioDJ can play MP4 files. To do this, I write some script to give orders to the 'OBS command line' a local files path reference from RadioDJ to the 'Media Source' in OBS.

bcoyle

Hi .... this is interesting
I did some experiments and managed to create an integrated system using RadioDJ as an automation system and use OBS to visualize all the items that played. This becomes possible since RadioDJ can play MP4 files. To do this, I write some script to give orders to the 'OBS command line' a local files path reference from RadioDJ to the 'Media Source' in OBS.
I've seen radiodj before and it seems like a powerful app and importantly, supported. I guess my question is about the script you write. Is this a one time script or do you have to write/update this script each time you wish to use it? Also, is linux use, part of the "this is interesting" comment. Sometimes when many people are talking, it's hard to tell whos comment you are refering to.