Automate 24/7 Stream for a scheduled Playlist

bcoyle

For any other people thinking of becoming a beta tester, I will tell you that this is very late stage beta. I've been running the test channel for months now and have fixed any of the problems that have come up. My main goal has been long term stability in both my program and also obs. My program takes full advantage of obs's compositing features, is able to schedule a months worth of programs in mere minutes. It can do playout as well as network style programing. It's serious enough that it has language locale

cabledog

For any other people thinking of becoming a beta tester, I will tell you that this is very late stage beta. I've been running the test channel for months now and have fixed any of the problems that have come up. My main goal has been long term stability in both my program and also obs. My program takes full advantage of obs's compositing features, is able to schedule a months worth of programs in mere minutes. It can do playout as well as network style programing. It's serious enough that it has language locale
hello, been lurking here for a while and would absolutely love to test it out, sounds wonderful - feel free to email me at arby@cabletwo.tv

bcoyle

Hi Bill,

I read this entire thread today. I have learned a ton! I have been looking off and on for the past five years for an automation solution for the cable channel our church leases. I am not sure if your solution is a good fit for me or not; I will leave that up to you. Here is what we currently do:
One output of our BMD Videohub is connected to the cable company. During the week we have one instance of VNC looping a PowerPoint Slide deck saved as an MP4 with no sound. We have a second instance of VNC playing looping through a folder of mp3 audio files. This happens on a dedicated Windows PC (Cable PC). On Sunday at 9:00 pm we had been using our BMD Videohub to switch the input routed to the cable company from the Cable PC to our live broadcast feed. This is an instance of OBS on our Presentation PC compositing content from PowerPoint, live open captioning, a PTZ camera, and our audio mixer. This same live content is livestreamed to Boxcast though another VideoHub output to an encoder they provided. At the end of the live event we use the Videohub to restore the Cable PC content to our cable channel. Then at 1:30 PM a tech from second church in our community remotes into our cable PC via TeamViewer, pauses our audio playlist, opens a browser over our looping slide deck video and plays their YouTube live stream from the previous week. Approximately and hour later he closes the browser and resumes our audio playlist. At 3:30PM I connect via AnyDesk and open a single slide PowerPoint with a static image provided by third church in our community. This overlays our looping slide deck video. I pause our audio playlist, open a browser, load the sermons page from their website, and play the audio they recorded the previous Sunday evening. When their audio finishes, I close their webpage and PowerPoint, and I resume our audio playlist. I would absolutely LOVE to be able to automate this. I would also love to be able to add other content to our schedule such as broadcasts of special events from the schools and other churches in the area. I've never dared offer this without automation.

I have written a lot of industrial control software and a little PC software; I understand how software works, and doesn't, :P I think I could be a helpful beta tester if you think your program would be an adequate fit for us.
still there ?

Rumdel

bcoyle,​

hello. I have a similar task as you - creating a TV channel with the ability to play videos on a schedule.
I would really like to test your development. Is it possible?
Thank you.

bcoyle

bcoyle,​

hello. I have a similar task as you - creating a TV channel with the ability to play videos on a schedule.
I would really like to test your development. Is it possible?
Thank you.
Hi LOL, Is RUMDEL you cats name???? I looked at your other posts with advanced scene switcher. They are really a nice crew and really helpful. Please tell what you are trying to do. i understand that you want to play clips, add a .png overlay saying over 18, starting some amount of seconds after the start and disappearing after a while, and also schedule the clips over a days period, or longer. But what are your trying to do with your station. I always ask this, becomes sometimes there are simpler ways to do something and I don't want to steer you the wrong way. This is link to my current running live test channel.

bcoyle

I'm running a movie channel with OBS. @bcoyle Can you give me a test of your software? Thank you.
Hi/ you can dm me if you like. I really need a lot more personal information and also more about your movie channel. I treat my beta users like family. There's more to being a beta tester than "testing the software". If invited to the casttor discord channel, you are joining a community and are required to help others, even your competitors. If you think about it, I'm sharing my software with potential competitors of my own youtube channel. In my youtube channel, I can already do a movie channel. One of my new beta testers already is planning on multiple channels including a movie channel and I'm working on the documentation for it. So you really need to think about this. Beta users get a lot of private attention but it's not for free (your time, not money)

Your idea of a movie channel is very simple, run a movie mp4 and put a png overlay on top of it (for 18 + only) What casttor can do is given a folder with movies it, given a folder with trailers in it, some bumper graphic maybe, it will create an automatic schedule of xx/60/75 minutes movies with intros, main movie,trailers to fill out the desired time slot. and run them at the desired time with it's own player. Casttor can record any and all individual movies with all the composites, ready to upload to youtube if desired, ie. can be used to create new videos.

for scheduling, casttor will generate a months worth of scheduled 24/7 movies in a few minutes. So DM me if interested

abusuzuki

Hello Mr.bcoyle, Thank you for your great efforts in serving the community, I have read many pages of this topic, and I have an interest in this type of program. What I am looking for is a software that play a new episode of the series every day at the same time automatically. (For example, I have a folder containing video files called Video 01, Video 02, Video 03) I would like the program to play Video 01 today at 01:00pm and tomorrow at the same time play Video 02 and the day after tomorrow at same time Video 03 automatically. I have tried the Advanced Scene Switcher plugin but it did not help me in this as the plugin requires creating macro for each video files manually, I have hundreds of video files that I want to play daily for months, so I hope that your project will be useful for this purpose, and I would like to try your project, if you please.

bcoyle

Hello Mr.bcoyle, Thank you for your great efforts in serving the community, I have read many pages of this topic, and I have an interest in this type of program. What I am looking for is a software that play a new episode of the series every day at the same time automatically. (For example, I have a folder containing video files called Video 01, Video 02, Video 03) I would like the program to play Video 01 today at 01:00pm and tomorrow at the same time play Video 02 and the day after tomorrow at same time Video 03 automatically. I have tried the Advanced Scene Switcher plugin but it did not help me in this as the plugin requires creating macro for each video files manually, I have hundreds of video files that I want to play daily for months, so I hope that your project will be useful for this purpose, and I would like to try your project, if you please.
please dm me and tell me about yourself and your project. Sorry, i didn't answer earlier, been sick

blavidais

Has no one solved this yet? Bcoyle I sent you a DM to inquire about your offering. I just need a weekly playout scheduler where I can drag and drop files onto specific time slots for each day throughout the week, not just a random playlist. Copy and paste function for day to day or at least time blocks a big plus. I found PlyCast, formerly Redcast, but with a quick install and playing around, it doesn't allow for specific time slot designation.

Thanks for any leads. Little more info, this software doesn't "have" to work with OBS, but I need to be able to designate it to a specific physical output of the graphics card like I can in OBS.

Cheers

bcoyle

Has no one solved this yet? Bcoyle I sent you a DM to inquire about your offering. I just need a weekly playout scheduler where I can drag and drop files onto specific time slots for each day throughout the week, not just a random playlist. Copy and paste function for day to day or at least time blocks a big plus. I found PlyCast, formerly Redcast, but with a quick install and playing around, it doesn't allow for specific time slot designation.

Thanks for any leads. Little more info, this software doesn't "have" to work with OBS, but I need to be able to designate it to a specific physical output of the graphics card like I can in OBS.

Cheers
hi . Relied to your dm. Casttor is so so much what you want

canal25

Hi. I too am running a 24/7 channel. see https://www.youtube.com/@dccatvnv . You'll see a live channel. this is my test channel. So what kind of tv channel do you wish to run? Also,where are you located? If you try my channel, you will see it is a real SCHEDULED 24/7 channel with tv guide (EPG).
Greetings from Chile: I'm helping a friend to run a scheduler for his small TV Channel. Actually he is working with VMIX and playlists. I think it's possible to create a better opensource solution with OBS with a small home server. I have read some forums and videos, for example openbroadcaster (i like this project), or Castr (not free, maybe as a backup when electricity is off could be affordable) but the installation and guides are not fully available. I hope I can receive some orientations from your experience. Very interesting your channel (DCCATV).

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english!

bcoyle

Any link to casttor? I couldn't find it
You won't find it. Currently casttor is in beta test. It is a windows program and is not currently open source. I usually have a beta volunteer DM me. We then talk about want they are trying to do. I try to see if casttor fits Sometimes, simple needs can be done elsewhere. . I then invite them to the casttor discord server. On that server is tutorial sections that explain the operation and theory of casttor. Casttor is a full featured program that uses obs as the encoder and compositor. There is a learning curve like anything else. Since you are a new member on this forum, you will need to know obs. There would be work on your part before you get links to an install.

bcoyle

Greetings from Chile: I'm helping a friend to run a scheduler for his small TV Channel. Actually he is working with VMIX and playlists. I think it's possible to create a better opensource solution with OBS with a small home server. I have read some forums and videos, for example openbroadcaster (i like this project), or Castr (not free, maybe as a backup when electricity is off could be affordable) but the installation and guides are not fully available. I hope I can receive some orientations from your experience. Very interesting your channel (DCCATV).

Thanks in advance and sorry for my english!
what would you like to know?

canal25

what would you like to know?
Hello:
Put it simply: How to automatize a playlist with some ads for continuous streaming, in other words to use OBS with a software like Instaplayot or Marsis Playout

For considering: I think that the whole question behind this thread is to obtain affordable solutions for small creative channels. The solutions does exist, but only big networks can pay that. I have learned IMHO that the content is the most valuable think for the future of small TV channels, but spending thousands of dollars for a software is out of the budget.
If you are working on a affordable solution for linux, believe me, many people out there will support that idea and pay a reasonable price.

Thank you for your interest in asking

bcoyle

Hello:
Put it simply: How to automatize a playlist with some ads for continuous streaming, in other words to use OBS with a software like Instaplayot or Marsis Playout

For considering: I think that the whole question behind this thread is to obtain affordable solutions for small creative channels. The solutions does exist, but only big networks can pay that. I have learned IMHO that the content is the most valuable think for the future of small TV channels, but spending thousands of dollars for a software is out of the budget.
If you are working on a affordable solution for linux, believe me, many people out there will support that idea and pay a reasonable price.

Thank you for your interest in asking
First off, Sorry, windows only program. Main design is public access station with pre-recorded content. The design target is to schedule shows similar to a network tv time slot. It automatically creates these timeslots. Does autofill,ads, psa, clips, playout, inserts, etc. It is not meant for a live studio. If you would like more details, pleas DM me. Support is via a discord server channel with support from members/volunteers. It also has language locale support. We currently have a news channel running in the netherlands and a new beta tester setting on a 6 town community access network with live ( town meetings) recorded feeds and older recordings. Plus they want to do an educational channel.