Automate 24/7 Stream for a scheduled Playlist

bcoyle

I'm just going to launch a small TV channel. I tried almost all the functions of the program and there were no difficulties so far.
The only thing I couldn't manage was installing it on Windows (I use it on my Debian VPS) because there are no instructions for it, and the program is practically not adapted to this system.
Hi. I too am running a 24/7 channel. see https://www.youtube.com/@dccatvnv . You'll see a live channel. this is my test channel. So what kind of tv channel do you wish to run? Also,where are you located? If you try my channel, you will see it is a real SCHEDULED 24/7 channel with tv guide (EPG).

Last edited:

andreuzi

Hi @bcoyle , I am also building a 24/7 web tv channel that runs through our own website with a decentralized video host provider called Livepeer. As everyone in this thread I've been struggling to find an affordable playout or one that simply works as we need.
We would be streaming a 7 days schedule that repeats itself every new week, and we would substitute the old programs with new ones while we create them.

We basically need a program that schedules this mp4/mov videos to play at a certain time through OBS (or streamlabs), also it would be nice if the playout played randomly from a music video folder when no show is being played (sort of inbetween shows entertainment)

I've tried INSTA PLAYOUT and it worked decent for most of it but still feels a little wonky and the live input for the music videos is laggy.

Looking forward to hear from you

bcoyle

I can help translating to Italian, Spanish & Catalan!
I AM looking for beta testers. I have my own channel and also a news channel running in the netherlands , run by Danny (beta 1). This is round 2 for beta testers, so have already gone thru one round. I looked at your web site but haven't yet been able to see your stream run. We can talk more on the DM you already started. Thank you for the language locale offer. Currently I use a translate program to translate all the prompts and labels. Basically, Castor tells OBS what to do. If obs can do it, then casttor can tell it to do it Graphics and video editing is done thru your own outside editors, like premier pro. Casttor is a compositor program that can schedule you program and uses a graphical interface to design a running (viewable) scheduled program. It runs on win 7 and up, but currently uses OBS 27.2.4. (works fine). No MAC support other than trying it on bootcamp, but have no experience trying that.

Saint Roger

in's in beta, but I do need beta testers. fyi : its windows only, not a plugin, a microsoft studio program, tell me about yourself and what you are trying to do?
Hello I have A Web Site GrandOleChurch.com I Stream Native American Gospel Was On Roku For 2 mo. And 24/7 On youtube But I Have It On Standby At The Moment Need Scheduling Software That Would Allow Me To Put In Station Breaks In Randomly And Designate A Program On The Hour Can You Recommend Something THX

els777

Hello everyone!
For three days I have been looking for a solution with scheduling video files, but I have not found solutions for all Russian-speaking communities.
And so, having switched to foreign (for me) resources, I came across this wonderful topic! Thank you very much to everyone for the proposed ideas and in particular thank you very much to bcoyle. If there is an opportunity, I would really like to try.

I'm sorry, I'm writing using Google Translator. My English is not very good.

dairytech

I AM looking for beta testers. I have my own channel and also a news channel running in the netherlands , run by Danny (beta 1). This is round 2 for beta testers, so have already gone thru one round. I looked at your web site but haven't yet been able to see your stream run. We can talk more on the DM you already started. Thank you for the language locale offer. Currently I use a translate program to translate all the prompts and labels. Basically, Castor tells OBS what to do. If obs can do it, then casttor can tell it to do it Graphics and video editing is done thru your own outside editors, like premier pro. Casttor is a compositor program that can schedule you program and uses a graphical interface to design a running (viewable) scheduled program. It runs on win 7 and up, but currently uses OBS 27.2.4. (works fine). No MAC support other than trying it on bootcamp, but have no experience trying that.
Hi Bill,

I read this entire thread today. I have learned a ton! I have been looking off and on for the past five years for an automation solution for the cable channel our church leases. I am not sure if your solution is a good fit for me or not; I will leave that up to you. Here is what we currently do:
One output of our BMD Videohub is connected to the cable company. During the week we have one instance of VNC looping a PowerPoint Slide deck saved as an MP4 with no sound. We have a second instance of VNC playing looping through a folder of mp3 audio files. This happens on a dedicated Windows PC (Cable PC). On Sunday at 9:00 pm we had been using our BMD Videohub to switch the input routed to the cable company from the Cable PC to our live broadcast feed. This is an instance of OBS on our Presentation PC compositing content from PowerPoint, live open captioning, a PTZ camera, and our audio mixer. This same live content is livestreamed to Boxcast though another VideoHub output to an encoder they provided. At the end of the live event we use the Videohub to restore the Cable PC content to our cable channel. Then at 1:30 PM a tech from second church in our community remotes into our cable PC via TeamViewer, pauses our audio playlist, opens a browser over our looping slide deck video and plays their YouTube live stream from the previous week. Approximately and hour later he closes the browser and resumes our audio playlist. At 3:30PM I connect via AnyDesk and open a single slide PowerPoint with a static image provided by third church in our community. This overlays our looping slide deck video. I pause our audio playlist, open a browser, load the sermons page from their website, and play the audio they recorded the previous Sunday evening. When their audio finishes, I close their webpage and PowerPoint, and I resume our audio playlist. I would absolutely LOVE to be able to automate this. I would also love to be able to add other content to our schedule such as broadcasts of special events from the schools and other churches in the area. I've never dared offer this without automation.

I have written a lot of industrial control software and a little PC software; I understand how software works, and doesn't, :P I think I could be a helpful beta tester if you think your program would be an adequate fit for us.

bcoyle

Hi Bill,

I read this entire thread today. I have learned a ton! I have been looking off and on for the past five years for an automation solution for the cable channel our church leases. I am not sure if your solution is a good fit for me or not; I will leave that up to you. Here is what we currently do:
One output of our BMD Videohub is connected to the cable company. During the week we have one instance of VNC looping a PowerPoint Slide deck saved as an MP4 with no sound. We have a second instance of VNC playing looping through a folder of mp3 audio files. This happens on a dedicated Windows PC (Cable PC). On Sunday at 9:00 pm we had been using our BMD Videohub to switch the input routed to the cable company from the Cable PC to our live broadcast feed. This is an instance of OBS on our Presentation PC compositing content from PowerPoint, live open captioning, a PTZ camera, and our audio mixer. This same live content is livestreamed to Boxcast though another VideoHub output to an encoder they provided. At the end of the live event we use the Videohub to restore the Cable PC content to our cable channel. Then at 1:30 PM a tech from second church in our community remotes into our cable PC via TeamViewer, pauses our audio playlist, opens a browser over our looping slide deck video and plays their YouTube live stream from the previous week. Approximately and hour later he closes the browser and resumes our audio playlist. At 3:30PM I connect via AnyDesk and open a single slide PowerPoint with a static image provided by third church in our community. This overlays our looping slide deck video. I pause our audio playlist, open a browser, load the sermons page from their website, and play the audio they recorded the previous Sunday evening. When their audio finishes, I close their webpage and PowerPoint, and I resume our audio playlist. I would absolutely LOVE to be able to automate this. I would also love to be able to add other content to our schedule such as broadcasts of special events from the schools and other churches in the area. I've never dared offer this without automation.

I have written a lot of industrial control software and a little PC software; I understand how software works, and doesn't, :P I think I could be a helpful beta tester if you think your program would be an adequate fit for us.
Hi Oi

Casttor works best on pre-recorded material.

1. casttor can't switch external equipment - never meant to do that. - you will still have to switch between live feed and casttor at the end of the live cast. Casttor has a secondary program that a runs off-the air program while waiting for the next video scheduled to run. You would run casttor with this off air program and set the next scheduled program to start , lets say at 10am. You would switch from your live program back to the cable pc , you would see casttor and then at 10, it would start the 10am segment. casttor would never know, you weren't using it's feed from 9 to 10. (all automated except video hub manual switch)

2. 1:30pm
It can stream a youtube video, but it has no idea when the sermon from last week ends and youtube goes on to the next program. Since this sermon is from last week, you could upload the video to a local file and we could run it from there because casttor would know the video length. It can't download files from youtube, you have to get the file during the week proceeding sunday. .So casttor knows the max length of the 1:30 video,
it will schedule that and when done, play the off air video until 2:30 or whatever you want. All automated, you do nothing.

3: 3PM
before sunday, you would cross-load the worship notes, and mp3, and casttorwould play the audio file. At the end of the audio file, it would again play the off air program to lets say 3:45. (all automated , you do nothing)

4. ' 3:45pm. Casttor would run the next scheduled program. You could run previous sermons, whatever for the rest of the week.

It's doable, but church 2 and 3 will have to copy their stuff to the pc cable local files.

I also did programming on robots, testers, ic reactors, customer demo software etc. It's a lot more fun when you can make lights blink.

Basically, your flow is a little different in that you only have to manually switch from casttor to live feed and back again at the 9am service.
The rest you would cross-load from the other churches before sunday, the mp4 previous weeks sermon (church 2) and the jpeg (worship notes) and mp3 from church 3. Church 2 and 3 would run autiomatically.

Does this make sense?

bcoyle

ffplayout is very usefull for my 24/7 playout.
thank you for this information. I went to the suggested webpages and found it interesting. Basically, Casttor is a full GUI based program (windows) with fully generated (timed) schedules or simple playout. It allows auotmatic scheduling weeks and months in advance. It does timelines and overlays for the timeline using some premade temples or ones you make or modify using a timeline and overlay editor. It has meta data so that things like titling can be embedded in the file name and automatically linked into OBS scenes and sources. It is designed, if you want to create broadcast style programs or playouts. If is designed in tiers. Once the person that sets it up finishes, it can be turned over to a person that just selects the programs/timeslot you want to run. It has a tv guide functions that allows next program coming up to be shown . Lots here. see my youtube test channel - search for "dccatv" and you will see my live test channel running old tv shows 24/7.

ilCenacoloWebTv

Hi Bill. Sorry for my absence but unfortunately I have had serious health problems and hospital visits. Now it seems to be going better even if the disease is heavy and continues. But despite everything I'm trying to react and carry on my passion. I wanted to ask you what stage the CASTOR program is at? Is it possible to have it and install it and start testing it? Thank you and goodbye

bcoyle

Hi Bill. Sorry for my absence but unfortunately I have had serious health problems and hospital visits. Now it seems to be going better even if the disease is heavy and continues. But despite everything I'm trying to react and carry on my passion. I wanted to ask you what stage the CASTOR program is at? Is it possible to have it and install it and start testing it? Thank you and goodbye
I went out to your site. One of the things that I noticed was that you have in advance. created a bunch of youtube upcoming scheduled videos. To me , that means, you stream to one instance of youtube, when ended, close it down, and the next time obs connects, it is to the next upcoming. Casttor doen't work htat way. OBS is expected to contimously stream to the same rtmp youtube stream. and cssttor takes care of scheduling and off the air-time content to fill in the time between regualr content. More like a regualar tv station. It's nice that the user can see pictures of the upcoming, but the most you will get from casttor is a tv guide showing inbtween scheduled content. Casttor will generate a txt file with the schedule for the next 2 weeks which you can send out? Also, a ascii excel file (CVS) with the schedule is also available. Basically, i think we have to discuss this. Please explain a little more about how you physically program your website.

dairytech

Hi Oi

Casttor works best on pre-recorded material.

1. casttor can't switch external equipment - never meant to do that. - you will still have to switch between live feed and casttor at the end of the live cast. Casttor has a secondary program that a runs off-the air program while waiting for the next video scheduled to run. You would run casttor with this off air program and set the next scheduled program to start , lets say at 10am. You would switch from your live program back to the cable pc , you would see casttor and then at 10, it would start the 10am segment. casttor would never know, you weren't using it's feed from 9 to 10. (all automated except video hub manual switch)

2. 1:30pm
It can stream a youtube video, but it has no idea when the sermon from last week ends and youtube goes on to the next program. Since this sermon is from last week, you could upload the video to a local file and we could run it from there because casttor would know the video length. It can't download files from youtube, you have to get the file during the week proceeding sunday. .So casttor knows the max length of the 1:30 video,
it will schedule that and when done, play the off air video until 2:30 or whatever you want. All automated, you do nothing.

3: 3PM
before sunday, you would cross-load the worship notes, and mp3, and casttorwould play the audio file. At the end of the audio file, it would again play the off air program to lets say 3:45. (all automated , you do nothing)

4. ' 3:45pm. Casttor would run the next scheduled program. You could run previous sermons, whatever for the rest of the week.

It's doable, but church 2 and 3 will have to copy their stuff to the pc cable local files.

I also did programming on robots, testers, ic reactors, customer demo software etc. It's a lot more fun when you can make lights blink.

Basically, your flow is a little different in that you only have to manually switch from casttor to live feed and back again at the 9am service.
The rest you would cross-load from the other churches before sunday, the mp4 previous weeks sermon (church 2) and the jpeg (worship notes) and mp3 from church 3. Church 2 and 3 would run autiomatically.

Does this make sense?
Thanks for the detailed response Bill, at the same time I am working on playout solution I find I have to revisit my live open captioning solution. The one I am using is being sunsetted next month and I haven't found anything that is ready to replace it. I have identified an open source project that I think will be ready in a week or so per the developer. I need to spend a little more time processing what you wrote; it makes sense but I need to think about what it really means for ongoing workflow. I will respond more very soon.

bcoyle

Thanks for the detailed response Bill, at the same time I am working on playout solution I find I have to revisit my live open captioning solution. The one I am using is being sunsetted next month and I haven't found anything that is ready to replace it. I have identified an open source project that I think will be ready in a week or so per the developer. I need to spend a little more time processing what you wrote; it makes sense but I need to think about what it really means for ongoing workflow. I will respond more very soon.
Hi. One thing I would like you to think about is this: You have a flow right now that requires a lot of work. You have limited yourself to what you can personally handle riight now and are looking for a solution to handle your current flow. The question is: do you want more? Do you want to play past sermon series on wedesday, stream a women's meeting. Do and broadcast fireside chats. The solution you should be looking for is the want you want for the future.

bcoyle

oh - i suddenly thought that you might only have a limited number of timeslots on the cable channel?

Filip S

thank you for this information. I went to the suggested webpages and found it interesting. Basically, Casttor is a full GUI based program (windows) with fully generated (timed) schedules or simple playout. It allows auotmatic scheduling weeks and months in advance. It does timelines and overlays for the timeline using some premade temples or ones you make or modify using a timeline and overlay editor. It has meta data so that things like titling can be embedded in the file name and automatically linked into OBS sceneand sources. It is designed, if you want to create broadcast style programs or playouts. If is designed in tiers. Once the person that sets it up finishes, it can be turned over to a person that just selects the programs/timeslot you want to run. It has a tv guide functions that allows next program coming up to be shown . Lots here. see my youtube test channel - search for "dccatv" and you will see my live test channel running old tv shows 24/7.

The need to pass information to OBS is possible but ffplayout does not need OBS to stream - it can stream who
Have you used it yet. If so, can we see your channel?hls
I run ffplayout on https://live.undergroundnews.dk but its running the player from https://datarhei.com/ that pulls the hls localy
what I like its I can overide the sheduled programs and if I reboot the ffplayout it can return to the sheduled program.
I can also pull input from ffplayout and stream from obs with more overlays etc, while messages possible to make inside ffplayout is limited compared to what you can do with obs. ffplayout can also pull streams from other locations as sheduled input but - what I also like is it does not need alot of power I can run in a container with only 512mb of ram also a raspberryPI4 with rasbian64bit can run the ffplayout player.
The option to overide the sheduled stream is very useful where it can return to the sheduled playout - but I use docker image restreamer alt it allows me to restream to more destinations also and mixing srt/rtmp etc - one of my chanals is from the ffplayout and the other one is obs playing some scenes - anyway you can set ffplayout to play random stuf from a directory or make timeslots. I small vps can run it but not handle alot of users but to push your stream to something ;)

ilCenacoloWebTv

I went out to your site. One of the things that I noticed was that you have in advance. created a bunch of youtube upcoming scheduled videos. To me , that means, you stream to one instance of youtube, when ended, close it down, and the next time obs connects, it is to the next upcoming. Casttor doen't work htat way. OBS is expected to contimously stream to the same rtmp youtube stream. and cssttor takes care of scheduling and off the air-time content to fill in the time between regualr content. More like a regualar tv station. It's nice that the user can see pictures of the upcoming, but the most you will get from casttor is a tv guide showing inbtween scheduled content. Casttor will generate a txt file with the schedule for the next 2 weeks which you can send out? Also, a ascii excel file (CVS) with the schedule is also available. Basically, i think we have to discuss this. Please explain a little more about how you physically program your website.
Hi Bill. Your program would serve the transmission of a continuous stream on the website www.ilcenacolowebtv.it
There is already a continuous flow there but unfortunately I do it using the Advanced Scene Switcher plugin but unfortunately it doesn't give good results.

bcoyle

nice to hear from you. When you use google translate, what is your favorite language. casttor and do languages