Question / Help Audio Problems - Focusrite Scarlett 18i8

JAH93

I'm trying to use my Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 (2nd Gen) digital-audio interface to get direct audio through OBS for live streaming DJ sets, but I can't get any audio to come thru on the mixer displays in OBS despite configuring my audio source/channel to run audio from the Scarlett. I'm running OBS on a 2017 MacBook Pro that has version 10.15.4 of macOS Catalina. The audio is registering on the Scarlett itself (channels 1 & 2 are lighting up green) and when I use the Scarlett with Ableton, the audio is coming through loud and clear.

The two methods I've tried for getting the audio into OBS are:
1.) Adding an "Audio Input Capture" under "Sources" and then selecting "Scarlett 18i8 USB" when prompted to select a "Device" in the "Properties" menu for this Audio Input Capture
2.) Going into "Settings" and then the "Audio" menu and then under the "Devices" section, selecting "Scarlett 18i8 USB" for one of the "Mic/Auxiliary" channels

I have also tried changing the sound settings on my MacBook itself, under system preferences, to run the Scarlett for both audio inputs and outputs, but unfortunately that has NOT made any difference.

One final thing in regards to audio that I believe is noteworthy - when I try either of the two methods above for adding audio channels with the "Built-in Microphone" on my MacBook as the selected "Device" under the "Properties" for either type of audio channel, there is also NO audio registered on the mixers in OBS, even though the microphone is registering sound when I check it in the system preferences in my MacBook.

It seems like OBS just will not register any sound no matter what I try, but curiously enough, when I add a "Video Capture Device" and set it to the built-in webcam on my MacBook, the video cues up perfectly.

I'm guessing that there must be some issue with the settings that I am missing, but I can not for the life of my figure it out. Please help!

Attachments

• OBS Log File.txt
    12.6 KB · Views: 98

J Valentine

I'm running an audio interface to push the audio through OBS, a M-Audio box 'M Track Plus'. Regardless of my audio sampling rate settings in OBS 44.1 or 48 khz, OBS would not see an audio input unless the external interface was set to 44.1khz streaming. If the external M Audio audio interface was set to 48.khz and I launch OBS, not audio passes through or shows up in OBS. This is with the audio device setup as a 'audio Input capture' under sources.

JAH93

Just doubled checked the sample rate on my Scarlett, and it is set to 44.1 kHz, same with my MacBook's Built-in Microphone, so I don't think that's the issue :/

Latinsoul

Helloi have a Focusrite 18i20 been having the same issues as everybody else no audio coming in tried everything i guess is the re routing but i have no clue where it is it won't give me the option my DAWs work perfectly in/out audio recordings but OBS or any stream software it sees the sound card but i get no audio....anybody knows what could be the issue?

JAH93

@Muso Unfortunately, I've tried the equivalent on my Mac, and it doesn't fix the problem of the audio not showing on the metering in OBS :(
The weird thing is that in the System Preferences, I do see audio in the metering there, both for my Focusrite and for the Built-in Mic on my laptop, but when I try either audio source in OBS, no audio shows on the metering there, despite showing on the metering in System Preferences . . . and yes, I adjust the sound settings for each audio source in my laptop's settings before testing it out in OBS.

Muso

ah ... do you only have one audio source showing in Audio Mixer? This is the key with OBS, you don't have to have Focusrite In and OUT, only your MIC/AUX ... this was my error, trying to have both IN and OUT metering in the Audio Mixer panel ... hope you fix it

JAH93

I've tried it with only one audio source in OBS's Audio Mixer (Mic/Auxiliary), but no matter how I configure the settings, both in OBS and in my Mac itself, OBS doesn't show ANY audio from ANY source in the metering :/

Muso

I've tried it with only one audio source in OBS's Audio Mixer (Mic/Auxiliary), but no matter how I configure the settings, both in OBS and in my Mac itself, OBS doesn't show ANY audio from ANY source in the metering :/

sorry to hear you're still struggling, it's very frustrating ... step 4 is a must for telling OBS where to source audio from and it was critical for me ... hope you can find a way to do this step on a Mac

JAH93

Yes! I figured it out!

So I had to go to 'System Preferences' on my Mac, then 'Security & Privacy,' then the 'Privacy' tab, then select the 'Microphone' from the menu on the left, and then I clicked the box next to OBS to allow it to access mic audio, and now I am able to get the audio from the Scarlett on the Mic/Auxiliary channels!

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Hope this thread can help out other people in the future!

lysdexic_audio

Hey guys I've been going nuts over this on Mojave with my Metric Halo. Looking on here many of you on OSX are too!

Security/Privacy didn't work for me. OBS is whitelisted on my mic list doesn't do anything.

I ended up building my own rerouter to send my mic input into Soundflower, then using Soundflower as the input for Mic/Aux in OBS. Works great.

I'll make it a free download for anyone who wants it and post it on this forum - keen to see if it works for you guys too.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 11.08.49 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-08 at 11.08.49 pm.png
    104.8 KB · Views: 304

LennyPayne

Helloi have a Focusrite 18i20 been having the same issues as everybody else no audio coming in tried everything i guess is the re routing but i have no clue where it is it won't give me the option my DAWs work perfectly in/out audio recordings but OBS or any stream software it sees the sound card but i get no audio....anybody knows what could be the issue?

Hello.

I have the same issue with the scarlet FocusRite 2nd gen combined with the pioneer RX2. Exactly the same problems as you. No any kind of sounds in OBS. I can't selected the soundcard at scenes, audio captured and more. He don't see the soundcard.
If there is no solution, i gonna try another broadcast software. I wanna stream, and no constantly mail everybody about my problem.

digitackled

I have the same problem with Focusrite Clarett 4Pre thunderbolt. Tried iShowU, SoundFlower, Loopback and @lysdexic_audio, nothing seems to work. Considering how many of us there are, there must be something going on with the latest patch.

Anyways, @lysdexic_audio your audiorouter keeps force closing whenever I open it, maybe I misunderstood the instructions regarding the data folder? I moved the enclosing folder with the app and the data folder inside into applications.

Go to securities and permissions. In permissions tick obs

My God, this was it. I have had ALL the issues people stated above and all I had to do was go to Security and Privacy. Then click on "Microphone" in the left. After that you (should) see that the OBS software is not checked. I did this, now I am golden. Thanks my brother (or sister)!

AIMM

@Muso Unfortunately, I've tried the equivalent on my Mac, and it doesn't fix the problem of the audio not showing on the metering in OBS :(
The weird thing is that in the System Preferences, I do see audio in the metering there, both for my Focusrite and for the Built-in Mic on my laptop, but when I try either audio source in OBS, no audio shows on the metering there, despite showing on the metering in System Preferences . . . and yes, I adjust the sound settings for each audio source in my laptop's settings before testing it out in OBS.
I’m having the same issue!

papag4

Same issue with a MOTU Ultralitemk3 ( as other people in this forum...with firewire or USB ) but no "microphone" tab in security and privacy ? maybe because I'm under 10.12.6 ?
Otherwise no problem with my Presonus AudioBox iTwo: because it is a "simple" stereo USB device?

ronan

ADenyer94

Hi all,
I have the same issue with OBS 26.1.2, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen and M1 powered Mac Mini. I have enabled mic access and also full disk access for good measure but no dice. HOWEVER:

When I enabled 7.1 under audio settings, suddenly I can see all my inputs monitoring on the mixer. I don't want to stream in 7.1 for obvious reasons so this isn't a solution, but it prove that this seems to be some kind of bug. ie when eight output channels are selected, suddenly it decides to enable eight inputs and that allows the interface to be seen... or something.