Audio is not synced to the video

Andi1234

Hello,
I have the problem that the audio and video is not synced.

Microphone: Shure SM7B
Camera: Sony Alpha 6600

Settings for sync:
-Puffer in the camera setting is on automatic
-0 delay for the synchronisation balance on the camera or mic
-device time stamp for the microphone is off.

Here is an example video:

Maybe you can tell me if the video comes before the audio or the audio before the video? I have a big problem to realise that. For me it looks sync.

An other thing: Can the problem maybe the thing that I record on a windows Pc in the format Quicktime (mov)?

AaronD

I have the problem that the audio and video is not synced.
For me it looks sync.
Which is it?
  • If it's off by a lot, then of course you can tell which direction, and even estimate how much. It might take a clock that shows accurate seconds until you get the hang of it, but you can do it.
  • If it's off by only a little bit, then you can tell that something's not quite right, but you can't tell much more than that. Then you just trial-and-error the Sync Delay until it's right.
Another thing to consider is the different speeds of light and sound. If you're close to the screen and the camera is close to the subject, it hardly matters, but if either is far away, then a slight or even gross mismatch might be okay or even desired, depending on what you're actually doing.

Note: I don't understand the language, but from the first few seconds of that video, comparing sound to lip reading, my first impression was that the audio was just a hair early. Add maybe 50ms to the Sync Delay and re-record.

Also be aware of variable latency. Cheap capture devices do that. If you have one of those, then it'll be different every time you turn it on, and never right.

Andi1234

Which is it?
  • If it's off by a lot, then of course you can tell which direction, and even estimate how much. It might take a clock that shows accurate seconds until you get the hang of it, but you can do it.
  • If it's off by only a little bit, then you can tell that something's not quite right, but you can't tell much more than that. Then you just trial-and-error the Sync Delay until it's right.
Another thing to consider is the different speeds of light and sound. If you're close to the screen and the camera is close to the subject, it hardly matters, but if either is far away, then a slight or even gross mismatch might be okay or even desired, depending on what you're actually doing.

Note: I don't understand the language, but from the first few seconds of that video, comparing sound to lip reading, my first impression was that the audio was just a hair early. Add maybe 50ms to the Sync Delay and re-record.

Also be aware of variable latency. Cheap capture devices do that. If you have one of those, then it'll be different every time you turn it on, and never right.
That is the thing. I dont know if something of these 3 points will fix my problem. Maybe you have an other option what I can try to sync it better.

AaronD

That is the thing. I dont know if something of these 3 points will fix my problem. Maybe you have an other option what I can try to sync it better.
Put something in there and see what it does. Is it better or worse? Go from there. Trial and error.

Andi1234

Fixed: I put the mic 150ms forward and now it works. Very comic, because I that before, too, but now it was not sync again. Thank you all for your help!

AaronD

Fixed: I put the mic 150ms forward and now it works. Very comic, because I that before, too, but now it was not sync again. Thank you all for your help!
Yeah, see my comment above about cheap capture devices having variable latency.

Andi1234

But do you have a cheap VIDEO device? If the audio is rock-solid but the video is wandering, that'll produce the exact same problem.
What do you mean with video device? I dont have so cheap devices. I have a Sony Alpha 6600 camera with a elgato 4K camlink. My Interface is a wave XLR and I also have a audient D14.

AaronD

What do you mean with video device? I dont have so cheap devices. I have a Sony Alpha 6600 camera with a elgato 4K camlink. My Interface is a wave XLR and I also have a audient D14.
Okay. That's the first time you've said what the capture device is, and it's quite common for people to be lopsided like that.

Don't know if it's the capture device or my built-in Linux driver or what, but my elgato needs me to change the settings and set them back again, to get the low latency that it's capable of. Doesn't seem to matter what setting; just go to the Properties of that source, change something, Apply, change it back, OK. So I automated that with the Advanced Scene Switcher plugin, along with a bunch of other stuff that I already had Adv. SS doing.