Question / Help AMD Ryzen 5 3600 and graphics card Nvidia super series

Ya_ryadom

I want to know the difference in image quality on the viewer’s screen between broadcasting using a video card through the NVENC codec and using a processor through the x264 codec. Can someone throw a link to such an experiment? I did not find anything on the Internet. Or maybe someone has the same processor and such a video card. for example, 2060 super or 2070 super.

I must say right away that I do not want to be a professional streamer, this is not my income. I buy a new good and rather expensive computer and am not interested in updating it after 2 years.

In general, I was thinking about acquiring the RX 5700 XT nitro +, but the question arose about encoding through a video card. AMD codec is not ready to give a good picture now. Do I have enough processor for a good picture? But at the same time, now I want such an opportunity for myself to have fun. thanks for the help

koala

Some time ago, I made a thorough comparison:
If you just want the videos for visual compare:

However, things have changed - Turing Nvenc hit the market, and the quality of Nvenc on Turing (RTX 20xx and GTX 1660) is said to be about medium preset of x264. CPUs got double the cores, and people start to use 144 Hz monitors. I don't have such a GPU yet, so I am unable to extend that thread with that encoder. As of the time of the writing of that thread, Pascal Nvenc (GTX 10xx) was available, and the referenced thread proves it is about as good as the veryfast preset of x264.

It is also said that AMD cards don't have much improved hardware encoder. Especially, VCE need GPU resources for encoding, while NVENC doesn't (nvenc is a dedicated circuit).

Having said that, my recommendation is:
  • if you have enough CPU cycles to spend (or: to waste), you can use x264 with medium preset and choose any GPU you like
  • if you don't have enough CPU cycles to spend, you can use Nvenc on a Nvidia RTX or GTX 1060+ (preferred)
  • if you don't have enough CPU cycles to spend and an older Nvidia GTX, still use Nvenc. It's still better than dragging the system down by using x264

Ya_ryadom

However, things have changed - Turing Nvenc hit the market, and the quality of Nvenc on Turing (RTX 20xx and GTX 1660) is said to be about medium preset of x264. CPUs got double the cores, and people start to use 144 Hz monitors. I don't have such a GPU yet, so I am unable to extend that thread with that encoder. As of the time of the writing of that thread, Pascal Nvenc (GTX 10xx) was available, and the referenced thread proves it is about as good as the veryfast preset of x264.

It is also said that AMD cards don't have much improved hardware encoder. Especially, VCE need GPU resources for encoding, while NVENC doesn't (nvenc is a dedicated circuit).

• if you have enough CPU cycles to spend (or: to waste), you can use x264 with medium preset and choose any GPU you like
  • if you don't have enough CPU cycles to spend, you can use Nvenc on a Nvidia RTX or GTX 1060+ (preferred)
  • if you don't have enough CPU cycles to spend and an older Nvidia GTX, still use Nvenc. It's still better than dragging the system down by using x264
thank you for your information ! Can i donate you some money for info?

Is the ryzen 5 3600 processor enough for me? What is better to take for my task: Ryzen 7 2700x or Ryzen 5 3600x? Are both of them enough for broadcasting at the fast level? Is ryzen 5 3700x enough then?

Ya_ryadom

Does a large number of cores currently solve for a stream? between Ryzen 7 2700 and ryzen 5 3600?

carlmmii

Both processors are going to be able to perform roughly the same for encoding. Both are (in most cases) going to be able to hit the same x264 encoder presets using the same overall CPU usage, meaning as far as the encoding process goes, there will be no difference in quality between those two CPUs.

There's also the other option of using your GPU for encoding, which would alleviate your CPU to run without needing to worry about the encoding overhead. If you're using an Nvidia card with the Turing encoder, then the quality you would be getting would be nearly on par with x264 fast/medium, with minimal hit (if any) to your graphics performance.

koala

thank you for your information ! Can i donate you some money for info?
Thank you, but if you want to donate, please donate to the OBS project - the green "Contribute" button on top.
To your other questions, I don't know which current CPU is suited best for you. It depends on the stuff you want to capture. Compare CPU performance and the pice/performance ratio from benchmark sites like https://www.cpubenchmark.net/.
In my opinion, you should go for a Nvidia Turing GPU, use Nnvenc and free the CPU from encoding, so the stuff (game?) you're intending to capture gets full CPU resources. As CPU, if you buy a new machine, choose from the latest hardware generation, i. e. Ryzen 3xxxx.

Ya_ryadom

Both processors are going to be able to perform roughly the same for encoding. Both are (in most cases) going to be able to hit the same x264 encoder presets using the same overall CPU usage, meaning as far as the encoding process goes, there will be no difference in quality between those two CPUs.

There's also the other option of using your GPU for encoding, which would alleviate your CPU to run without needing to worry about the encoding overhead. If you're using an Nvidia card with the Turing encoder, then the quality you would be getting would be nearly on par with x264 fast/medium, with minimal hit (if any) to your graphics performance.
Hello guys. thank you for your answer . I don't want to buy perfect cpu and perfect videocard. As far as I understand this problem, nvenc does not display fast games well. With these tasks at low bit rates, x264 does better. if i will use x264, i just need a very good cpu and don't need 2070 super and higher for example.

carlmmii

Something to keep in mind about Nvenc -- as long as you have a Turing card, you're going to get the same Turing quality regardless of how powerful the card is for GPU performance. The Nvenc processing is done on dedicated silicon, which is 100% identical between each of the graphics cards in the line. A 1650 super will perform encoding just as well as a 2080 ti.

If you want to talk specifics about which would be better for "fast games at low bitrates", then in general x264 medium will usually produce a more desirable result. But, there's the catch -- if you aren't able to hit x264 medium on your CPU reliably, then in just about every situation, Turing Nvenc is going to be the better option due to higher quality and lower system impact.

If you're sure you want to go the x264 route for encoding, then I would focus on getting a CPU that can easily handle x264 medium encoding, and then the GPU decision is secondary (as far as OBS is concerned, it just has to handle scene rendering, which takes very little resources compared to, say, gaming).

Ya_ryadom

regarding the comparison of the quality of the encoder video card and processor. I think there is really not enough information on the quality of 720, which is recommended for the initial streams. Almost all adequate people say that it makes no sense to broadcast 1080 on a twitch platform, if you just started and you do not have a super powerful computer. thank you another time for your information