Question / Help AMD Hardware Encoding Failure

TheSp33d3mon

I am unable to stream using H264/AVC Encoder (AMD Advanced Media Framework)
I can select it and change encoding options but upon starting my stream it fails and tells me to check if my drivers are up to date. I'm running an AMD Radeon 5700XT with latest drivers. I'm also running OBS 24.0.1.
Here is what appears in the log file...

9:11:09 PM.952: ------------------------------------------------
9:11:12 PM.865: [ftl stream: '(null)'] ftl_stream_create
9:11:12 PM.865: [ftl stream: 'adv_stream'] ftl_stream_start
9:11:13 PM.065: [AMF] <Id: 27> Unable to initalize converter, error AMF_OPENCL_FAILED (code 19)
9:11:13 PM.065: Stream output type 'ftl_output' failed to start!

Is there a setting I don't know about, settings I'm possibly putting in wrong, or is this just a bug?

Attachments

• 2019-10-03 16-15-45.txt
    7.5 KB · Views: 86

Pipita

Hi!
I have the same GPU you have and Im not having any problems with it. I followed some of the instructions in this tut https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydPJuHBfxU4
I recorded a video with H264/AVC Encoder and it looked pixelated whenever I moved the camera in game fast, as in, around my character ETC. I didn't have any problems playing the video and in still or slow moving camera it looked good. I'm still trying to find the best AMD settings in OBS and I can't find anything here or anywhere.

These are my items, if it helps for anything.
Ryzen 3600x
Aorus x570 Elite
Trident Z 3200mhz 16gb DDR4
RX5700 XT

TheSp33d3mon

Hi!
I have the same GPU you have and Im not having any problems with it. I followed some of the instructions in this tut https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydPJuHBfxU4
I recorded a video with H264/AVC Encoder and it looked pixelated whenever I moved the camera in game fast, as in, around my character ETC. I didn't have any problems playing the video and in still or slow moving camera it looked good. I'm still trying to find the best AMD settings in OBS and I can't find anything here or anywhere.

These are my items, if it helps for anything.
Ryzen 3600x
Aorus x570 Elite
Trident Z 3200mhz 16gb DDR4
RX5700 XT
Interestingly we have very similar hardware but I'm still unable to record or stream using AMD hardware encoding. I have tried various settings and watched tutorial videos and I can't get it working. If I can't find a solution I'll just have to stick with CPU encoding.

TheSp33d3mon

UPDATE: For some reason the problem was directly related to my GPU drivers even though they were up to date. A clean install of the latest drivers erased all problems I was having. I can now record and stream with little to no dropped frames (considering I'm running a 4K monitor and playing at 4K this isn't bad). Now it's time to fine tune settings and enjoy life again.

Pipita

UPDATE: For some reason the problem was directly related to my GPU drivers even though they were up to date. A clean install of the latest drivers erased all problems I was having. I can now record and stream with little to no dropped frames (considering I'm running a 4K monitor and playing at 4K this isn't bad). Now it's time to fine tune settings and enjoy life again.
Oh! Maybe If i did this a few days earlier I would've the same errors as you. I did built my pc not long ago so I got a fresh install of everything. If you are streaming/uploading any content mind sharing a link? I really want to see how it looks for you. I feel Im not recording at a good quality and I would like to compare. If you don't mind that is. There is not much content out there done with our builds.

Thank you for responding!!

TheSp33d3mon

Oh! Maybe If i did this a few days earlier I would've the same errors as you. I did built my pc not long ago so I got a fresh install of everything. If you are streaming/uploading any content mind sharing a link? I really want to see how it looks for you. I feel Im not recording at a good quality and I would like to compare. If you don't mind that is. There is not much content out there done with our builds.

Thank you for responding!!
Sure I'm over at mixer.com/TheSp33d3mon
As another update, I did a stream using GPU encoding and the quality is great but even using FTL on Mixer I was getting a 13 second delay instead of sub-second. I'm unsure what happened because I did a test stream prior to that and everything was good. As for recording I used a CBR at 10,000kbps and the results were terrible. I'm going to test again with a Constant QP setting to see if that's better, but naturally file sizes will be much bigger. I will update again soon.