amd h.264 encoder is very laggy

welpyes

I was on windows 10 before and it was smooth, but now its very laggy now that i upgraded to win11.
I was using win11 before i downgraded to win10 as well on the same hardware and its not this laggy

i dont have a gpu but my cpu is an `Amd a8-7650k with radeon R7`

heres the footage for the software x264:

and heres the amd h.264

heres the logs:

JohnPee

Have a look at the result of the OBS Analyzer.

Currently, your CPU and GPU are overloaded and OBS cannot process video. See what you can do to address the issues identified.

rockbottom

There's more in that log but the only time I've ever seen this is when there is a Low Latency setting somewhere. I would disable anything LL.

00:30:33.847: audio settings reset:
00:30:33.847: samples per sec: 48000
00:30:33.847: speakers: 2
00:30:33.847: max buffering: 21 milliseconds
00:30:33.847: buffering type: fixed
00:30:33.851: ---------------------------------

Normal settings:
09:36:38.243: audio settings reset:
09:36:38.243: samples per sec: 48000
09:36:38.243: speakers: 2
09:36:38.243: max buffering: 960 milliseconds
09:36:38.243: buffering type: dynamically increasing

rockbottom

Run OBS @ 30FPS if needed, that should eliminate the rendering lag. Any chance of rolling back to W10 or is that no longer possible?

rockbottom

See how 11 goes, hopefully I'm wrong but I suspect there's gonna be some pain no matter what. Going back to 10 might be less painful in the long run.

Here's the additional things I noticed in the log: It's enabled somewhere, not sure if it's something new in v30.1 as I'm not using it yet.
00:30:33.872: Enabling fixed audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 21 milliseconds

Running OBS @ 30FPS should allow you to record @ 1080p, use the AMD encoder & avoid x264.

Old Nvidia audio filters still in play.
00:30:34.715: [noise suppress: 'Noise Suppression 2'] NVAFX redist is not installed.
00:30:34.716: [noise suppress: 'Noise Suppression'] NVAFX redist is not installed.
00:30:34.718: [noise suppress: 'Noise Suppression 3'] NVAFX redist is not installed.

Failed
00:30:35.299: WASAPI: Device '' failed to start (source: Application Audio Capture (BETA))

Desktop Scene has has a Display & Game Capture, move one of them to a new Scene.

Nostalgia_Realm

Pretty much all Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 drivers should work on Windows 11 just fine. But something seems wrong with the encoder looking at the logs. Your best bet is to use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) in safe mode to remove the drivers, then install the latest Windows 10 drivers from AMD's Website that @rockbottom has linked.

If that still doesn't do the trick, you could try this fix to update the AMD encoder (EDIT: this seems to have been integrated into OBS itself for a while)

welpyes

Pretty much all Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 drivers should work on Windows 11 just fine. But something seems wrong with the encoder looking at the logs. Your best bet is to use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) in safe mode to remove the drivers, then install the latest Windows 10 drivers from AMD's Website that @rockbottom has linked.

If that still doesn't do the trick, you could try this fix to update the AMD encoder (EDIT: this seems to have been integrated into OBS itself for a while)
thank you for this. im gonna try this and update you when something happens

welpyes

i didnt work. i think its on obs's fault now since ive tried a couple of amd drivers that supports radeon r7. or maybe its because of windows. but then again i used win11 b4 but its not like this

welpyes

i didnt work. i think its on obs's fault now since ive tried a couple of amd drivers that supports radeon r7. or maybe its because of windows. but then again i used win11 b4 but its not like this
i downgraded to a release from december 11th last year. and its now back to normal

heres the footage

it seems like an update broke the amd h.264 encoder from working smoothly since it overloads my igpu

cmd67082

Commenting to confirm like others the AMD HW H.264 (AVC) is not working smoothly either for me on 30.1.1. It was working fine on previous version of OBS using AMD HW H.264 (AVC) at 50000Kbps at 2560*1440 at 60FPS. Quality smooth videos . I thought maybe the OBS update needed the latest AMD drivers, so got those, still laggy/choppy, frames dropping, unusable videos.

I am running Windows 11 with AMD 24.3.1 drivers and OBS 30.1.1 and I just do offline game capture recordings.

Intel i9 10850k
AMD 6700XT GPU

I haven't tried CPU h.264 encoding but I did find a solution to smooth video recording at those bitrates and resolution and 60fps...If I use AMD HW H.265 (HEVC) instead, I get the quality smooth videos (using 50000Kbps at 2560*1440 at 60FPS) like I used to with the AMD H.264 encoder when it worked on previous version.

I want to say like others the OBS update broke just the AMD H.264. Hope it gets fixed. Thanks.

turk0gamer

Yes i experienced the same but i changed the encoder from AMD HW H.264 (AVC) to x264 as solution or workaround as you wish.
The AVC should record as before because its better for some or most streaming and video sides.
I will follow this thread.