Absolutely terrible YouTube Quality.

krobeN

no matter in which bitrate i record & render a video, it'll end up looking like a pixelated mess on youtube. even if i upload it raw.

my current recording settings look like this:
1641931080553.png

using an rx580 and the obs replaybuffer. the recordings are looking crisp and clean on disk, even after rendering in vegas 14 (i have tried tons of different render settings, they all lead to the same result on youtube).

here is a screenshot comparison of rendered vs youtube vs raw footage:
https://imgur.com/a/xZPXieg (can't upload the screenshots directly in here, filesize...)

here is the youtube video:

now compare my video to the quality of this clip:
https://youtu.be/T3i9_8w6Cyg?t=206
(i chose this video because in that specific clip the ingame resolution is the same as mine.)
it doesn't look as bad as mine. not even slightly.

i get that youtube compresses videos, but to the point where you're hardly able to read text rendered by the game? i don't see that happening in other youtube videos. it also can't be my rendering process right? because it looks completely fine on disk.

would be nice if some of you could enlighten me on this issue.

thank you very much.

WBE

So you record first an then upload to YouTube, right? How do the recordings look like (compared to the end result)?

krobeN

So you record first an then upload to YouTube, right? How do the recordings look like (compared to the end result)?
that's all in the post.

regardless, i kind of figured it out. i just have to render in 1440p so youtube will use the vp9 codec instead of the avc1 codec.

Verner

t's not just about the codec. If the channel is not a millionaire, where 1080p looks good, then in 1080, 1440 and 4k the viewer is shown a different bitrate. I'll say more. You can stream to YouTube in 1080p and YouTube itself can transcode to 1440 and 4k. The picture and smoothness will be slightly worse than with an upscale video card, but there will be no extra load on it and most viewers will not notice a fundamental difference.