Question / Help 50% CPU when streaming, causing games to struggle when the run on max usually

fjcym

PC Specs:
GPU: GTX1080
CPU: i7 6700
RAM: 32GB

I recently wiped my computer due to some security issues, and since then have had many complications with streaming. I can run games at usual FPS on maximum settings when I am not streaming, but as soon as stream starts, games such as Fortnite struggle to maintain 60FPS on low settings. I have reduced the number of browser sources and have had to stop almost everything loading when the scene is not visible, something I didn't have to do before the PC wipe. Does anyone know how I could solve this? I have downloaded the most recent version of OBS as suggested in other posts, but this has made no difference.

Edit: I have OBS open and I'm currently not streaming, but in OBS is says 9%, yet task manager says 40-50%

Last edited:

Elochai

Have you tried experimenting with lowering the bitrates in OBS or the pre-set if you are encoding through your i7 ? If its a fresh install it might be a difference in your OBS settings. Or you might be missing some driver updates?

fjcym

I'm running the same bitrate I already have (2500), I'm using the encoding pre-set. It is possible that I missed a few driver updates in my installation, is there any specific place I can go to make this process easier or do I just have to do this manually?

Cheers

fjcym

Extra note: I have started encoding on my GPU as it seems to work better, but I'm still having my CPU Dominated by OBS (40-50% constant)