Mini Padder

Free Mini Padder 5.4.3

skin-author.png

Skins with an author property will show the name of the skin and the author, whenever it's refreshed on the page.
Joystick-A.png
MegaPad-D.png

This update brings flexibility to skin customization: you can make multiple skins using the same set of spritesheets. To demonstrate this, I merged 4 default skins into 2 folders: gamepad ones and joystick ones are now in their own folders.

I also made two variations on the MegaPad skin to demonstrate it.

Lots of things were going on in the code, but I hope that doesn't affect the use of Mini Padder at all.

Also I decided to change the skin name condition: Mini Padder will always treat skin folder name lowercased, and skin configuration files will follow the name pattern of skinname.mpskin.json. This is mostly because I was too scared about seeing many jsons flooding over 'Open Recent' menus in a text editor. At least now I can tell if it's a skin json for Mini Padder, or a mysterious kind of json file.

Wiki page for making a skin should also be updated to reflect the changes, but I am so hungry so it should wait.

Here's the changelog of things you can see:
  • skin filename format change: skinname.json -> skinname.mpskin.json.
    allowed letters are alphanumeric (case shouldn't matter), and underscore.
  • new joystick variation - Astro City button layout
  • new megapad variations - button labels for XInput and DInput controllers
This is a change that shouldn't be seen or felt on the user end:
  • skinList - list of all selectable skins Mini Padder is aware of - is reformatted to be a Map. I hope I covered every required change for making this type change.
Separate deadzone update feature is added. I felt like I should add it, as explaining how to change the deadzone as 'manually edit the mapping json' or 'do the assignment process again' was uncomfortable.
  • new domain: minipadder.link
  • show crop values instead of display size
    crop values are the more useful values when cropping
  • separate button sprites for joystick
    each buttons can be separately changed for customization
  • change deadzone values for default gamepads - XInput and DInput - from 0.08 to 0.1
hbox.png

• new skin for Hit Box
  • Renderer will skip rendering if entire stick/button group is set to null
customskinmenu.png

From now on, localhost is not a necessity for using a custom skin. You can load your custom skin directly from the control panel, and share it to other users as a single JSON file after it's loaded.
  • new on-screen custom skin loader
  • accepting data URIs and links as skin source images
  • refresh the skin frame on fadeout option change
  • clarity improvements on the joystick skin
  • skin structure
    • remove `src` properties from `layer`s
    • support static images as layer
megapad.png

The tool was under the approval queue for a couple weeks, and I was making changes during the downtime. Here's the changelist.

2.2.3:
  • make skins stand out better
  • remove ambiguity on assignment texts
    'Push stick-left to right' isn't a clear text
  • better deadzone decision
  • properly skip looking for dpad change for render when it doesn't exist in the mapping
  • fix Renderer getting undefined as a skin name when a new gamepad is found on a slot previously used
  • skipped inputs in the assignment process are properly assigned with null
3.0.0:

I released a guide on how to make a skin on the repository wiki. As it's said in the readme, you need to host Mini Padder locally to be able to use them. Also this made changes on how skins work, which are not backward compatible. Hence the major version number increment.
  • some render instructions for skin are rewritten
  • improvements on rendering process
  • each button groups can choose separate layer to render
  • Joystick skin now can render inputs of general gamepads properly.
  • An updater is built to apply new version changes to data stored on local storage.