Bible Plugin for OBS Studio

Semi-free Bible Plugin for OBS Studio

Great news! A new and easier fix has been found that does not require you to download the Server program! Many, many thanks to Lester Torres Rivera for contacting me with this simple fix.
  1. Right-click your Bible browser source and click Properties.
  2. Copy the local file path.
  3. Uncheck the Local file checkbox.
  4. At the beginning of the URL add file:// and paste the local file path (now as URL).
2022-02-21 Browser Source Local File Unchecked.png

What about the Server program?
The Server program will remain officially supported.

Given the increasing restrictions on local file URLs, there is unfortunately no guarantee that this new workaround of unchecking the Local file checkbox will continue to work with each OBS Studio update. The Server is pretty much guaranteed to work no matter what happens in the future. Furthermore, the new Server program also adds a lot of interesting possibilities from a development perspective that simply aren't possible otherwise (for example, remote control and integration with other applications).

For now, it is up to you to decide which approach you want to use.

Documentation Updates
We will be updating our website and guides with more details in the coming days. As always, don't hesitate to drop us a message with your ideas, questions, and/or suggestions.
After two days of hard work and investigation, we are relieved to finally announce that Bible Plugin for OBS Studio now works with OBS Studio v27.2!

However, action is required on your part if you wish to use the latest version of OBS. In your PayHip page, you will notice a new Server program available for download.

2022-02-19 Server On.png

You will need to download this Server. Every time you use the Bible Plugin, you need to run this Server and use the URLs provided for your Browser Source and Custom Browser Dock. In the coming days, we will update our website and guides with more information. Keep an eye on https://bibleplugin.firstfruitsstudio.com/guides/coffee/.

Save Data:
You will need to transfer your custom browser themes and settings to the newer served version.

Reasons for the Incompatibility:
For those interested, here is a technical explanation. When OBS Studio updated, it also updated the Chromium Embedded Framework to a later version. One consequence of this upgrade was tightened restrictions on file:// URLs. This means that from now on, a local web server is required to fully access essential JavaScript APIs like the BroadcastChannel API that the Bible Plugin depends on in order to function. This is where the new Server program comes in.

Free Online Version:
The free online version remains unaffected and can still be used.

Conclusion:
We realize that this may be a big change to the way you used the Bible Plugin before. If you have any questions or are encountering any issues, please don't hesitate to drop us a message. We'll get back to you soon!
We have received reports that Bible Plugin for OBS Studio no longer works on the latest release of OBS Studio, v27.2.0. We are currently investigating the issue urgently.

Please follow us on our social media channels for updates on this issue:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FirstfruitsStudio
Twitter: https://twitter.com/1stfruitsStudio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/firstfruitsstudio/

Thank you for your understanding and patience.
Hi, everyone!

This is a small bugfix update for the Generator program that fixes an issue with OpenLP Bible parsing failing on encountering a verse number that isn't a number. Certain rare Bible translations use strings instead, which not even OpenLP can read!

In less technical terms, this means you should be able to import more OpenLP Bibles without the Generator program appearing to do nothing. Special thanks to Mulinde for contacting me and alerting me to this issue.

Also, while these may be minor, there are small things worth mentioning. Keep in mind that these only apply to the rare Bibles mentioned above. For example, some Bibles did not store the verse number as a number but as a verse range in the database (like "6-7"). In fixing this issue, we now simply strip out the last number, so the first verse number is used instead. This could result in some verse number "holes". Another thing is that some parenthesized verse numbers also have their parentheses removed as the verse number is extracted.

Update Guide

Important: Please backup your verse list and custom themes before updating!

Free Online Version
You will automatically be updated to the latest version. (Although for this release, you shouldn't notice any visible changes to the free online version.)

Coffee Version
  1. Download the latest release from Payhip. (You should also receive an email with the download link soon. If you don't, go to the email you received from PayHip after buying the Coffee Version and click your unique download link there. You will see all the latest files.)
  2. Run the Generator, choose the same Bibles and output folder, and click Generate.
  3. Open OBS Studio. You should be on the latest version.
Links

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FirstfruitsStudio
Twitter: https://twitter.com/1stfruitsStudio
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/firstfruitsstudio/
Ko-Fi: https://ko-fi.com/firstfruitsstudio

Conclusion

That's all for now! As always, thank you all for your support!

~ Jon from Firstfruits Studio
Primary Developer
Hi, everyone!

This update changes the CSS editor of the Theme (Edit) mode. As you have probably noticed, the previous text editor, while functional, had a number of annoyances (double layer of text, strange cursor positioning and behavior, etc.). Now, the new CSS editor uses the excellent CodeMirror text editor, so theme editing should now be much smoother and less frustrating.

The new CSS editor in action
View attachment 78748

If you have any suggestions about the code editor or recommendations about CodeMirror's settings, please feel free to share them.

Update Guide

Free Online Version
You will automatically be updated to the latest version.

Coffee Version
  1. Download the latest release from Payhip. (You should also receive an email with the download link soon. If you don't, go to the email you received from PayHip after buying the Coffee Version and click your unique download link there. You will see all the latest files.)
  2. Run the Generator, choose the same Bibles and output folder, and click Generate.

Supporting Firstfruits Studio

We have opened a new Ko-Fi page!

https://ko-fi.com/firstfruitsstudio

As you know, we offer both a free and paid coffee version. For the paid version, we only charge a modest one-time minimum fee of five dollars (although we get closer to four dollars after all the fees) to cover some of the costs of development and maintenance (Special thanks to those of you who generously gave more!). Unlike most software nowadays, we don't use a subscription-based model; and we continue to release new versions of the plugin based on your feedback. We do this so that the Word of God can continue to be spread online and around the world without the burden of a subscription or a high price, via a plugin that is both feature-rich and easy-to-use.

Unfortunately, my trusty programming laptop that I used to develop the plugin suddenly gave way just before Christmas, and it turned out that the cost of repairing its spoiled motherboard was the same as the price of a new computer! So we had to get a new one.

Therefore, if you believe this plugin has blessed you or your church, and if you are able, please consider supporting Firstfruits Studio. And if you are not able to help financially, no pressure and don't worry. Just using the plugin means a lot to me. ;)

Thank you for your support! God bless you.

Hi, everyone!

This is a small update, with a breaking change, meant to correct a major annoyance with the Show/Hide toolbar button in Bible mode. For historical reasons, clicking the button or using its hotkey would toggle the visibility of the previously selected verse instead of the currently focused verse, which was counter-intuitive, especially for keyboard users. This update rectifies this issue so that its behavior is similar to that of hitting the Enter key. Once again, special thanks to user hopkir from the OBS Forums for pointing this out!

Update Guide

Free Online Version

Coffee Version
  1. Download the latest release from Payhip. (You will also receive an email with the download link soon.)

Conclusion

Thanks for your support!

Primary Developer
Hi, everyone!

It is with great pleasure that I can finally announce this—an official Mac release (64-bit only) has been uploaded to the Coffee Version!

2021-12-03 Bible Plugin on Mac.png

As you may have known, until now Mac was only partially supported. The plugin itself worked well on Mac, but the Generator program for choosing which Bibles you wanted to use in the plugin only worked on Windows and Linux. This meant that the free version worked on Mac while the Coffee Version didn't. Not anymore! The Generator program now works just as it should on Mac, and we have some sparkling new screenshots to prove it. :D

2021-12-03 Bible Plugin Generator on Mac.png

Just like on the other platforms, you can choose from the same seven public domain Bibles (five English, one Spanish, one French) or use any Bible translation from OpenLP. The program will automatically detect OpenLP Bibles and make them available for selection, like the other platforms.

Getting and Using the Mac Version

If you have bought the Coffee Version, you will now find a new download for Mac (as of this writing, named OBS.Studio.Bible.Plugin.Generator-darwin-x64-1.4.1.zip) on your PayHip page. You should also receive an email soon. Just download the ZIP, extract it, and double-click it to run the program! Choose your Bibles, hit Generate, and follow the instructions shown to add the plugin to OBS Studio.

Background

Mac support has been perhaps the most requested feature of this plugin. It was also something I had really wanted to do. Back then, though, I didn't have access to a Mac computer. After the surprising success of this plugin, and after hearing all the requests for a Mac version, we knew we had to somehow make it. Thankfully, we were able to pull out an older Mac from storage, bought a brand new charger to replace the broken one it had, and brought the Mac back to life. And that's the story behind it. ;)

Conclusion

As always, feedback is appreciated! Thank you all for your support!
Hi, everyone!

This update does two things:

First up is keyboard shortcuts on buttons! You can toggle this feature on or off in the Settings. Once again, special thanks to user hopkir from the OBS Forums for suggesting this! (And sorry it took this long :D )

Bottom Bar
2021-11-27 Keyboard Shortcuts Bottom Bar.png

Toolbar
2021-11-27 Keyboard Shortcuts Toolbar.png

You can toggle this on or off by clicking the new "Show Keyboard Shortcuts on Buttons" option. It is enabled by default.

New Settings
2021-11-27 New Settings.png

You may be wondering what "Strip Verse Newlines" and "Strip Footnote References" do, which leads us to the next item on the update list.

The second is improved whitespace handling for verse texts. Columbian YouTuber Daniel Monsalve brought to my attention that some popular Spanish Bibles displayed weirdly on the plugin. After some digging, it turned out that this was because the Bibles embedded newlines and additional whitespace inside the verses. This means that Bible verses previously appeared something like this (there was also a leading newline there, but it's not in the photo because I forgot to take a screenshot of the earlier version):

2021-11-27 Newlines Not Stripped.png

To fix this, leading and trailing whitespace are now removed. As for the newlines, you can now change them to be more natural by enabling the "Strip Verse Newlines" option (enabled by default):

2021-11-27 Newlines Stripped.png

While I was at it, I also added an option to "Strip Footnote References", just because (enabled by default).

"Strip Footnote References" Disabled
2021-11-27 Footnote Refs Not Stripped.png

"Strip Footnote References" Enabled
2021-11-27 Footnote Refs Stripped.png

Special thanks to YouTuber Daniel Monsalve for bringing this to my attention, and for his patience and support while I worked on this. Be sure to check out his YouTube channel here (in Spanish): https://www.youtube.com/user/danimonl. Also, if everything goes well and no more unexpected issues pop up, stay tuned for Daniel's upcoming video in Spanish on the Coffee Version as well!

Update Guide

Free Online Version

Coffee Version
  1. Download the latest release from Payhip.

Side Note: About Jon and Joanna from Firstfruits Studio

For those of you who contacted Firstfruits Studio by email or social media, you may have noticed replies signed by either "Jon from Firstfruits Studio" or "Joanna from Firstfruits Studio". We have been asked about this, so here is a brief explanation.

The sole creator, developer, and maintainer of Bible Plugin for OBS Studio is me, Jon from Firstfruits Studio. In the beginning, I handled all email and social media messages as well. However, as the plugin exploded in popularity and messages kept coming, I had to dedicate more and more time to responses and less time to development. Thankfully, my sister Joanna offered to help. That is why you may see messages from either of us. Of course, it doesn't matter which of us ends up replying. We both work together to answer and help out. :D

Conclusion

Thank you all for your support! God bless!

~ Jon and Joanna from Firstfruits Studio
Reactions: hopkir
Hi, everyone!

This update adds a lot of things to make the plugin much more keyboard-friendly. Once again, special thanks to user hopkir from the OBS Forums for his invaluable suggestions!

New Keyboard Shortcuts Settings
2021-11-20 Keyboard Shortcuts.png

Default Keyboard Shortcuts

You are free to customize or unset each shortcut as you see fit! However, please take note that keyboard shortcuts will only work if the dock has focus.

App (Global)

To Search ModeCtrl + 1
To Bible ModeCtrl + 2
To List ModeCtrl + 3
To Theme ModeCtrl + 4
To Settings ModeCtrl + 5
Quick Show / HideCtrl + .

Bible

Previous ChapterCtrl + ArrowLeft
Next ChapterCtrl + ArrowRight
Previous List ItemCtrl + Alt + ArrowLeft
Next List ItemCtrl + Alt + ArrowRight
Add to ListCtrl + =
Change Verse RangeCtrl + -
Hide / RefreshCtrl + /

List

Move Item UpCtrl + ArrowUp
Move Item DownCtrl + ArrowDown

If you're interested, feel free to let me know what you think of the default shortcuts.

About Default Shortcuts Using Ctrl

Originally, I used Alt instead of Ctrl as the modifier key of choice for the default shortcuts. However, in OBS Studio on my Windows 10 system, this caused the system bell to keep ringing. As a result, I changed it to use Ctrl instead. Just in case anyone's interested. (For more information, see http://support.inqscribe.com/knowle...-to-turn-off-windows-default-beep-for-alt-key)

Other Changes
  • On switch to Search Mode, the reference field is now selected and given focus.
  • List Mode now supports keyboard input: arrow keys to choose and Enter to select.
  • Bible book suggestions in the reference field also accept keyboard input now: arrow keys to choose and Enter to select.
  • Some notifications now avoid taking focus from other inputs (for example, the Unrecognized Reference error notification will no longer steal input focus from the reference field).
  • The dock now has a subtle border indicating it has focus, useful to know at a glance whether keyboard shortcuts can be used.
  • Bible Mode now has the ability to go to the previous or next list item, currently only triggered via keyboard shortcuts.
  • Bible Mode has improved focus and selected states (more on this below).
Focus and Select States in Bible Mode

In Bible Mode, a verse can be focused (shown with a blue border) and selected (shown with a gray background). A focused verse responds to keyboard inputs, while a selected verse shows which verse is currently being displayed. Usually, a verse is either focused or focused + selected. But there are some cases in which the focused and selected verses are different.

2021-11-20 Unsynced Focus and Select States.png

Before, in this scenario, the plugin would try to make the next focused item selected. For mouse users, this wasn't a problem; but for keyboard users, this could cause some confusing behavior. With this update, only the focused item will move if a discrepancy is detected. This lines up more closely with expected behavior, but it has the drawback that using the arrow keys will no longer move the selected verse. Clicking a new verse, hitting Enter on a new verse, or right-clicking the currently selected verse and choosing the option "Focus & Sync" will sync up both states again, though, allowing you to control both focus and selection with the arrow keys once more.

In my opinion, this behavior is good enough. My brother thinks so too, but my sister suggested bringing this up for feedback. If anyone is interested, feel free to let me know whether you think this behavior is all right.

Update Guide

Free Online Version

Coffee Version

Future

Thanks for all your feedback and suggestions so far. I'll be somewhat busy for a while; so major updates like the ones so far will likely not be as frequent as before. However, I do read every single comment and message; so feel free to let me know your thoughts and ideas.

Thank you all for your support! God bless!

Hi, everyone!

Version 1.3.0 is now out, and with it a couple of new features.

Search Improvements

Bible reference searching has been tweaked to provide a better user experience:
  • Diacritics in Bible book names are ignored in searching and suggestions. This means you don't have to always type out accented letters. In the Spanish Reina-Valera Antigua, for example, you can type "Genesis 1" instead of "Génesis 1".
  • Partial Bible book names are now supported. For example, you can type "gen 1" to mean "Genesis 1" or "song 3:5-6" to mean "Songs of Solomon 3:5-6". In contrast, typing "jo 1" would fail because many Bible books start with those letters (Joshua, Job, Joel, and so on). As long as it's not ambiguous, the plugin will try to guess which book you mean. Special thanks to user hopkir from the OBS forums for suggesting this feature!
  • Finally, typing a book alone will now show "Please specify a chapter" rather than "Unrecognized reference". I have received a lot of messages from people who ran into this issue. I hope this helps!
Bibles

The French Bible Louis Segond (LSG) and the Spanish Bible Reina-Valera Antigua (RVA) are now official. They are no longer considered to be experimental. As a result, they are now available both online and in the Coffee Version.

Minor Tweaks
  • New toolbar help buttons have been added to the Settings and Theme Edit screens.
  • Added the logo and link to Firstfruits Studio in the Settings screen.
  • The Submit button in Search Mode now displays "Submit" in all languages.
Update Guide

Free Online Version

Coffee Version

Closing

It has almost been a month since I first announced the beta release of Bible Plugin for OBS Studio on this forum. Since that time, it has been featured on YouTube in both English and Spanish, and has seen users from places all around the world. For a solo developer like myself, it has been amazing. I want to sincerely thank you all for your support!

Thank you!