X.265

seronx

HLS already supports H265 already supposedly.

I'm not going to lie but H.265 is cray cray. Found a decoder and everything can't find a web player decoder though. Playing H.265 videos before everyone else huehuehue. Only works with Windows Media Player for the Windows decoder.

Tried it, can actually play and watch 4K content where H264 from Apple just freezes a bunch.

What a benefits of HLS ? User can stream two or more streams in diffirent quality ?

What really be great if they add some technology which can divide one stream(one tcp connection) to 4 or more tcp connection(same stream at same quality, maybe with more delay, but anybody with some bad internet, over 90% of world, can watch high bitrate streams without lags). More thread give more speed, look at bittorrent technology.

Bensam123

"The latest versions of Flash Player and Flash Media Server support adaptive bit-rate streaming over the traditional RTMP protocol, as well as HTTP, similar to the HTTP-based solutions from Apple and Microsoft."

:o

User must encode same video twice, don't think it be common practice to stream like this. Twitch don't be doing it for no money.

Actually if they http servers support how it says, parrallel download for one http file, like most downloaders do. Only need add it in player, and lags on high bitrate stream be less. HLS add more delay compare to rtmp. Maybe they think add it on past broadcast videos ? Or they don't care about delay. I don't care about delay, fine for me if it be less laggy.

Bensam123

Yeah, I really don't care about delay (within reason) either. Functionality totally takes a front row seat to delay.

MrX

What about VP9?

YouTube will be using VP9 in the near future and will not use H.264 or H.265 for its videos.
VP9 is an open and royalty free video compression so it sounds more like a thing OBS would be supporting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VP9

But then again it all comes down to what twitch and other streaming sites will use, VP9 or H.265.

Krazy

Town drunk
I have a feeling VP9 might be the one that takes precedence in the streaming world.

All this discussion is a bit premature, though. It's going to be at least a year (imo) before either of these codecs are ready for any sort of general use, and likely longer than that for them to be adopted for livestreaming purposes.

just read over every post.
seems that HLS already supports the x.265 codec?
in theory if obs could drop in the codec as an option would it currently work?
if not what would be needed for support?

if someone were to make a plugin for chrome and firefox could it then start being used?
i've only got the option with my isp to have a max upload of 3mb. right now i have 2mb due to price.
so for a lot of us this would be a huge help. i'd be willing to only stream in h265 with moobot spamming to download the plugin. i also setup a lot of streamers so could even have them all push it.

when it comes to technology the growing usage is how places end up pushing the products. so in theory we could just force them to adapt and progress quickly with it.

Krazy

Town drunk
It's definitely not just a matter of making some plugin.

When it comes to tech on the internet these days, everything is driven by what mobile devices are capable of, unfortunately.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
in a few months the ability to use custom outputs will become available and much easier to do, so I'm sure it'll happen sooner than later at least for local recording (though streaming is entirely dictated by adobe and other web standards)

antome

After testing x265 myself, it's pretty clear to see that it has seen some pretty phenomenal progress, to the point where the (stable branch, latest stable online build is 0.6+3 here for those interested) can reliably produce consistently, markedly better quality than x264 at fast presets. It'll be pretty awesome once the rewrite comes about with support for this sort of thing. I think a lot of streamers in low-bandwidth areas will be able to have watchable streams now, as well as enable those who might not have been able to stream before.

Likewise, will you guys support 10-bit encoding at some stage? I guess that would be supported by default once alternative encoders are possible.

paibox

heros in an halfshel
x265 would only be supported for local recording, and not for streaming, unless Adobe added support for it to Flash, which they aren't very likely to do.

As for 10-bit color encoding, Adobe do say that it is supported by the Flash h.264 decoder, but they said the same thing about YUV 4:2:2 video, and that certainly wasn't the case. (It does not support YUV 4:4:4 either.)

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
10-bit may be possible in the future, I don't particularly mind that.

x265 however as paibox said cannot be used for streaming purposes unless adobe implements a decoder into flash for it, or by some miracle HTML5 implements it and everybody decides to start using HTML5 instead of flash.