X.265

shALKE

Hello,

Is there any news about the H.265 codec? It suppose to be twice as effcient as the H.264 that xSplit is currently using.

I saw its in beta stage, I'm just thinking if you can add it as a option for testing it could improve your current user usage by a lot. since it will require lower upload speeds.

http://code.google.com/p/x265/downloads/list

Cheers

Muf

Forum Moderator
Flash Player (and the RTMP protocol) will need to support it first. Otherwise there will be nothing to test with.

BeamImpact

any idea on when this support might take place? :)

i really like the idea and surely it would increase OBS*s popularity!

Krazy

Town drunk
Probably not until h265 it's out of beta, and even then probably not right away. It's pretty much up to Adobe when/if they add it to Flash

Krazy

Town drunk
That would be sweet. Hope it gets implemented into Flash not too long after that and we can start using it in streaming. I know I would love to have it, I have CPU power to spare, but not really bitrate.

Muf

Forum Moderator
The time between ratification and general adoption is usually huge. It took about 2-3 years for ISO MPEG-4 SP/ASP to get adopted, and about the same for AVC (commonly known as h.264). I'd expect h.265 support in Flash Player around 2016-2017. Sounds far away, doesn't it?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I'll probably implement it for file-only output just for fun.

Krazy

Town drunk
Jim said:
I'll probably implement it for file-only output just for fun.

That would be cool, I'd love to play around with it and see if its any better.

Muf said:
The time between ratification and general adoption is usually huge. It took about 2-3 years for ISO MPEG-4 SP/ASP to get adopted, and about the same for AVC (commonly known as h.264). I'd expect h.265 support in Flash Player around 2016-2017. Sounds far away, doesn't it?

Maybe, but I'm hoping the explosion of interest in livestreaming pushes the timetable up significantly. (hoping pretty hard as I know how unlikely this is lol)

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Hey guys, im also quite interested in this codec and was searching around a bit:
https://hevc.hhi.fraunhofer.de/svn/svn_HEVCSoftware/
they have a reference software 9.2rc is the newest version i think.

Another question, dont know if it fits the topic. But couldnt a clever guy program a HTML5 player for example with h/x.265 capabilities? and we all can get rid of flash for streaming :D I will start reading more about html5 and video playback now, cause i got no real clue about it.

You guys think big hosters like twitch or own3d would have to change the server infrastructure alot for such a change?

Grimio

No, I don't think any infrastructure change is necessary for HEVC. Probably only licencing cost for Adobe server software or whatever they use.

Zephiris

Jack0r said:
Another question, dont know if it fits the topic. But couldnt a clever guy program a HTML5 player for example with h/x.265 capabilities? and we all can get rid of flash for streaming :D I will start reading more about html5 and video playback now, cause i got no real clue about it.

HTML5 media tags call on the browser's built-in capabilities to play the media resource. If the browser's player doesn't have h265 support then it won't be able to play the media. Basically, all of the web video players (flash or other) need to support it before the broadcasting software can use it.

Krazy

Town drunk
It's going to be a long while still before x265 is in any sort of state that makes it worth switching from x264. Hell, last I saw (last week) it doesn't even support bframes yet.

seronx

Jack0r said:
And the biggest problem is, will flash integrate it and when? or jwplayer? html5?
2H 2013 to 1H 2014, supposedly.

Another thing is RTMP won't support H.265 or Opus ever, but RTFMP will.

Krazy

Town drunk
seronx said:
Jack0r said:
And the biggest problem is, will flash integrate it and when? or jwplayer? html5?

I would be shocked if it's implemented that early.

Goatfudge

seronx said:
Jack0r said:

I thought Twitch are transitioning to HLS?

Krazy said:
seronx said:
Jack0r said:

I would be shocked if it's implemented that early.

I wouldn't be shocked to see decoding support in flashplayer within the next 6-8 months. The challenge, I suppose, is creating a good and efficient encoder (e.g. x265).