Question / Help Will this work?

calebcanavan

I have been streaming a multi-camera stream off of my MacBook Pro (2014, i7 4th gen, 16gb ram, intel iris, 512 ssd), but looking for a more permanent solution like an iMac.
Looking at a new iMac with these specs: i5 quad core (7th gen), 16gb ram, 2gb vram, 1tb hdd. Will these specs work to do a multi-cam livestream, both encoding and streaming?

I guess as a follow up question, what are the most important specs for streaming? (CPU/GPU...)

Narcogen

Both.

MacOS has so many disadvantages, though, that I am hard pressed to suggesting purchasing a new one expressly for use with OBS. You'll be much better served by any current-spec Windows machine with a late model Nvidia card.

If it has to be a Mac, get the best you can justify. RAM, CPU and GPU are all important. CPU is more important than in a comparable Windows build because it will most likely be your best option for encoding, given that you won't have access to NVENC.

calebcanavan

Thanks for the response and info! ...just found a deal on dell desktop with a current graphics card. I think I’ll go that route.