Why is recorded audio muffled/distorted, and how to fix that?

jakestanley23

I made my first screen capture recording. The video was fine, but the audio was distorted/muffled. The same thing happens with all the other recording software programs I've tried! Why is that happening, and how can I get OBS to record audio that sounds just like the original audio source? (I've heard other people complain about that here . . . could it be to avoid copyright lawsuits from the movie and music industries?)

Last edited:

AaronD

could it be to avoid copyright lawsuits from the movie and music industries?
If that's your reason, then you need to shut down entirely. Don't steal others' work. Tricks to get around enforcement bots do nothing for the law itself.

...audio was distorted/muffled. The same thing happens with all the other recording software programs I've tried!
You probably have it too loud somewhere early in the chain. It's not just plug-and-play. It helps a LOT to think of whatever you're doing, big or small, in terms of a full-on professional analog rig. Kinda like this:
A major concept there, is called "gain structure". There's not just one volume control: that board has either 3 or 4 controls that affect volume, depending on how you have it configured:
  1. Preamp gain (top row of knobs)
  2. Channel fader (white on that board)
  3. Group fader (red, and the optional one)
  4. Master fader (yellow)
If you turn one up and another down by the same amount, you get the same end result, but the intermediate level is different, and that has an effect too.

If the combination of the first X controls is too high, then the point immediately after the X'th one will clip. The classic "rock and roll" distortion is based on intentional clipping. And because you want the vast majority of your required gain right up front, the first one (preamp) can get there all by itself.