Why Can I Not Hear My "Media Source" In My Headphones While Broadcasting?

Bobby_P

This is beyond frustrating for me. When I play video clips that are stored on my computer during my show I can not hear it. In order to hit my post on time, I am having to keep an eye on a stopwatch so I know when it is going to end.

As you know, one individual broadcasting a stream has enough to do. I could be screening callers, setting up my next segment, or whatever; but I have to keep my eye on the clock instead so I don't have any dead air.

I do not have this problem when I screen capture a Youtube video or other audio/video source, just with a "Media Source."

Thank you for your kind attention.

DrAlbany

Have you clicked the cog (Settings) for the media source in the "Audio Mixer"... when the menu pops up, click on "Advanced Audio Properties" and change "Audio monitoring" to "Monitor and output".

Hope this helps.

DrAlbany

Also...

If you are using Microsoft Windows and you change the "Sound output device" you may change the "Audio Monitoring" to "Monitor off" then click ok and go back in again and select "Monitor and Output"
I've been using OBS for nearly five years and always had this problem.

Bobby_P

Also...

If you are using Microsoft Windows and you change the "Sound output device" you may change the "Audio Monitoring" to "Monitor off" then click ok and go back in again and select "Monitor and Output"

Thank you for the reply. I tried your suggestion, but received no joy.

DrAlbany

Do the videos playback in VLC player ok... not in OBS?

Instead of using the media source try using the VLC Video Source

carlmmii

Make sure your audio monitoring output is set to the correct device in your audio settings, and that OBS is unmuted and turned up in your windows sound mixer. Also, make sure your source isn't muted in OBS's mixer, and you see the audio bar move when the source is playing.

SerenityBlade

Also...

thank you very much Dr Albany. This really helped me. I was going a little crazy trying to work out why I could no longer hear my imported media sources. This did the trick. Much appreciated.