When I press "X" on OBS program, it closes rather than going into System Tray

yoo

Please add an option in OBS Settings System Tray to include "Close button will make the program go to System Tray".

Every single launcher in existence goes to System Tray when pressed X/Close, but this is the only 'live'/'service' program in existence that fully closes when pressed X, why?

Attachments

• Close.png
    Close.png
    587 bytes · Views: 21

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Because that's what the close button is for? There is already an option to minimize to tray.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Personally I absolutely hate it when I hit the "X" on a program and it minimizes to tray instead of actually closing. Just enable the "Minimize to tray" option and use the minimize button.

ejmarino

I second this. I'm agree about the X as an app closer when the app is used as a standard application that you use like chrome, notepad, excel, etc. It's different with apps like discord, teams, docker desktop, open vpn (listing my tray apps hehe) etc, Where you use it and close it but expect that it keeps running in background on tray. Easy access to the close button on this kind of apps has the risk of closing it an miss the service they provide.
I think obs could fit in both scenarios. If you use it for broadcasting, I guess you will always keep opened until you dont need it anymore and the close button ensures you that you stop the broadcast and the app is no more running.
In my case I use it for it's virtual camera and audio mixing capabilities and use hotkeys to change scenes (me, me closer, my screen shared, etc). So in this case, obs is working more like a background app, like the one I mentioned, and it's expected not to die when I press X.

So, please... Give us the choice to enable this behavior. Thanks!

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
In my case I use it for it's virtual camera and audio mixing capabilities and use hotkeys to change scenes (me, me closer, my screen shared, etc). So in this case, obs is working more like a background app, like the one I mentioned, and it's expected not to die when I press X.
If you're using the virtual camera, X would prompt before closing as there's an active output. I think it's especially important that OBS exits properly when requested to as it can hold open devices like webcams or capture cards that are unusable in other apps until OBS is closed. If you want it to remain running in the background, use the existing options (minimize to tray + click minimize instead of closing).