Question / Help What is a good bitrate for recording 1080p 60Fps?

MasterZo

I've been using Obs for a few years now and have never found the "Best" settings. I've heard bitrate can be the problem, so I decided to post here. What bitrate setting should I use? Like Cqp,Cbr, Vbr, or whatever. And what numbers? Thanks in advance. :)

Specs: Acer Predator Helios 300

GPU: 1660ti (non max q)
CPU: i7 9750h
RAM: 16gb
Storage: 550GB + 2Tb HD

Last Log File: https://obsproject.com/logs/fr5Vubmb65tV7jBe

Edit: Just in case, I'd be recording Super Smash Bros Ultimate on an Elgato HD 60s, Minecraft, and possibly Fortnite.

Last edited:

FerretBomb

If you're only recording and not streaming, you don't use a bitrate. You should use a CRF or CQP level, which uses as much or as little bitrate as is needed to maintain a consistent image quality. Normally between 16-22, with lower being better quality but larger file sizes.

The only reason CBR/VBR (and so set bitrates) are used for streaming is because the streaming service back-end needs it for replication and delivery to the CDNs. Otherwise it's an awful choice and shouldn't be used.

MasterZo

If you're only recording and not streaming, you don't use a bitrate. You should use a CRF or CQP level, which uses as much or as little bitrate as is needed to maintain a consistent image quality. Normally between 16-22, with lower being better quality but larger file sizes.

The only reason CBR/VBR (and so set bitrates) are used for streaming is because the streaming service back-end needs it for replication and delivery to the CDNs. Otherwise it's an awful choice and shouldn't be used.
Thank you so much!

Lainsilk

Hi! any setting to record and stream at the same time? i have ryzen 5 5600x 32gb ram 3200hz and gtx 1080ti

FerretBomb

Hi! any setting to record and stream at the same time? i have ryzen 5 5600x 32gb ram 3200hz and gtx 1080ti
Open OBS.
Go to the Tools menu.
Auto-Configuration Wizard.
Choose 'streaming', and 'hardware encoder'.

After that, you can either leave Recording as 'same as stream', or use the above recommendations to save a higher-quality version locally. NVENC on your 10-series can encode two 4K60 streams simultaneously without issue (so both the stream version and the second local-record version can sit on NVENC), and without any impact on your in-game performance since it's a separate part of the GPU die, assuming you don't use any CUDA-required options.

Also, please do not necropost/hijack other users' threads if possible. It's preferred to open your own. :)

northstar_

could you give me some settings for either streaming and recording separately and, if possible, together?
Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 5700 (yes, i know, big bottleneck but i plan to upgrade sometime,) and 32gb 3200mhz
i have way more than enough storage dont even worry about it

northstar_

forgot to quote but could you give me some settings for either streaming and recording separately and, if possible, together?
Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 5700 (yes, i know, big bottleneck but i plan to upgrade sometime,) and 32gb 3200mhz
i have way more than enough storage dont even worry about it
i'm using an HD60 S and usually i will be recording for a bit and get a random frame drop out of nowhere. its REALLY starting to get on my nerves.
i must also mention that there is no lag in-game, but only in the OBS recording.