washed colors or too dark colors.

lulifz

I'm new on recording on my own PC while playing games, and I have this color problem despite I tried different enconders, color space and range.
This is how it looks like on my screen:
haloscreenshot3.png

On Rec601 and Full range:
rec601full.jpg

And on partial range:
Rec601partial.jpg

I'm using AMD hw h.265 (hevc) encoder but I tried too with x264 and it showed the same problem. Thank you beforehand.

log file:

monitor settings:
monitor.png

.norman.

I do not know the correct answer to this, but until someone that does comes along... maybe you can use the partial range then add a color correction filter to the source to adjust as needed?

sandrix

Because your video card outputs 4:4:4 8 bit format and is used by your monitor. The videos you record are in 4:2:0 format even if you change the color format in OBS. I didn't go into it much, but it could be due to OBS, decoding or codec. Perhaps for hevc it is possible to encode video in yuv444p via ffmpeg, but I have not tried it. Finally, use NV12/REC.709/Limited for better compatibility.

lulifz

Because your video card outputs 4:4:4 8 bit format and is used by your monitor. The videos you record are in 4:2:0 format even if you change the color format in OBS. I didn't go into it much, but it could be due to OBS, decoding or codec. Perhaps for hevc it is possible to encode video in yuv444p via ffmpeg, but I have not tried it. Finally, use NV12/REC.709/Limited for better compatibility.
Thank you for telling me, I will try about the ffmpeg way, it's kind of hard to understand this colors thing but I think I can. For now I'm going to use 709 and limited with some filters.