Virtual Camera Turned On By Default?

UrbaneBoffin

I love that there is a Virtual Camera built into OBS now. This is a feature I use a lot for online teaching. One of the features I liked about the VirtualCam plugin was that I could set it so as soon as OBS was started, the VirtualCam was running. Can that be done with the new built-in version?

TonyMayo

The virtualcam can automatically be started through the command line option --startvirtualcam

Right click your OBS shortcut > Properties > Append "--startvirtualcam" to the end of the text in the Target box
Thanks. That helped. Two additions that may be helpful to others.
1. Here are the other inline options https://obsproject.com/wiki/Launch-Parameters
2. If you are using a Stream Deck, the options go outside the quotation marks. This is exactly what to type into "App/File" box of the "System: Open" action.
"C:\Program Files\obs-studio\bin\64bit\obs64.exe"--startvirtualcam

mirjafar

1. Here are the other inline options https://obsproject.com/wiki/Launch-Parameters
2. If you are using a Stream Deck, the options go outside the quotation marks. This is exactly what to type into "App/File" box of the "System: Open" action.

Hi, On a MAC where should we Append --startvirtualcam?

Jonathanl

When using a Mac, in coordination with OBS and a Stream Deck, what is the short cut key code for: Start Virtual Camera to insert into my stream deck hotkey button? Kindly explin the steps, clearly and simply as I am not a tech savvy person. Thank you.

spkane

On a Mac something like this SHOULD work.

/Applications/OBS.app/Contents/MacOS/obs --startvirtualcam

In my testing however I found that it would fail once you added the command line argument, eben though this works from a terminal just fine. This is likely a problem with the System - Open plugin provided by Stream Deck. A plugin like this one (assuming that it works on the Mac) might solve the problem.

https://github.com/BarRaider/streamdeck-advancedlauncher

hks

Hi All, I was following the instructions above, and it kept on failing on a windows 10 PC. It took me weeks to figure this out. To clarify for any future newcomers, the --startvirtualcam needs to be placed OUTSIDE of the quotations, AND you need to put a SPACE between the last quotation mark (") and the --startvirtualcam parameter.

e.g.:

"C:\Program Files\obs-studio\bin\64bit\obs64.exe" --startvirtualcam

^^ see the space inserted BEFORE the --startvirtualcam

---

I also added:

"C:\Program Files\obs-studio\bin\64bit\obs64.exe" --startvirtualcam --scene "Camera1"

where "Camera1" is the default scene that I want to boot into every morning.

---

I hope that helps for any future newbies like me :P

bradtem

I use --startvirtualcam. I would like it if OBS, when I use this option, would not pop up a dialog box when I close it to confirm I really want to close with the virtual cam running. This is the same warning if you have streaming or recording running, which make more sense in that case. In fact, I would be fine if there were no warning at all about the virtual camera running, but at the very least the warning is not a good idea if one deliberately starts it from the command line.

Gennaro90

The virtualcam can automatically be started through the command line option --startvirtualcam

Right click your OBS shortcut > Properties > Append "--startvirtualcam" to the end of the text in the Target box
Hello dodgepong can you take a look to this related question please?

NoCategories

The shortcut tweak works, but I noticed that sometimes when I update OBS the shortcut gets replaced, and then I lose my auto-start setup. I found another way to do it.

1. Make a script file, I called mine start-virtual-camera.lua and save it somewhere

2. Contents of the script file should be:
obs = obslua function script_load(settings) obs.obs_frontend_start_virtualcam() end

3. save the file

4. in OBS go to Tools > Scripts, select the + button and browse to the start-virtual-camera.lua file. Then close the Scripts dialogue window.

5. Now, whenever you start OBS from a shortcut that doesn't have --startvirtualcam, the script will run at startup and your Virtual Camera will start automatically.

It seems to work for me, anyway, running OBS v30 in Windows 11. Can anybody confirm whether this works for them, too?

matthewclaussen

The shortcut tweak works, but I noticed that sometimes when I update OBS the shortcut gets replaced, and then I lose my auto-start setup. I found another way to do it.

1. Make a script file, I called mine start-virtual-camera.lua and save it somewhere

2. Contents of the script file should be:
obs = obslua function script_load(settings) obs.obs_frontend_start_virtualcam() end

3. save the file

4. in OBS go to Tools > Scripts, select the + button and browse to the start-virtual-camera.lua file. Then close the Scripts dialogue window.

5. Now, whenever you start OBS from a shortcut that doesn't have --startvirtualcam, the script will run at startup and your Virtual Camera will start automatically.

It seems to work for me, anyway, running OBS v30 in Windows 11. Can anybody confirm whether this works for them, too?
I tried that and it works for me. I love that this should persist through upgrades!