Question / Help Using Window Capture to record video from Browser fails

luggw1

Link to log file: Log file

I'm attempting to capture video played in a tab in my FireFox browser window. When I selected the Firefox window in the Source properties dialog It placed a whit box in the preview pane. Assuming this was OK since I'm new to the software, I went ahead and began recording video for about a 10 minute clip. All I got was audio, but no video. Later I went back and selected a different window and discovered it would display the actual window content in the preview pane.

I tried the same approach with Chrome, the only difference was a black background instead of white. I also tried a different video source (YouTube), but to no avail.

So, what might I be doing wrong that would cause this? FWIW, the video wouldn't play in the Browser source, so I'm using this solution as a second alternative.

Thanks
Bill Lugg

Last edited:

luggw1

That worked, thanks.

And I successfully recorded something, but I find the result is a bit "choppy" and the sound is way out of sync with the video. Admittedly, out here in the sticks where I live, my data rate is not great (around 3 Mbps). Could that be what's causing this, or are there other settings I need to tweak to get better results?

Thanks for the help
Bill Lugg

luggw1

OK, so I've got a GPU integrated on the mobo on the recording machine. What I'm taking away from this is that that's not going to cut it for OBS to work well. Are there any recommendations for a reasonably economical GPU I can acquire that will get the job done, but not break the bank? FWIW, I'm not playing games or doing anything advanced on this machine, just recording video.

Thanks
Bill Lugg

Narcogen

Any Nvidia series GTX card from the 7xx series and up would be better than your iGPU at rendering and also give you the option of NVENC encoding.