Question / Help URGENT OBS causing internet to stop working

kizzyartfox

I use ethernet, Windows 10 64 bit, OBS Studio 23.0.2 64 bit

During streams, could be 2 minutes in or 2 hours, OBS causes my ethernet internet to completely stop working. Restarting PC resolves issue. Small note, I've noticed this usually happens if a notification appears.. not sure if that is a coincidence or not. Hopefully log file is useful.

Never had internet issues, 100% sure it isn't the cable either. Only happens during streaming. Has happened multiple times now and in the past ONLY during streaming with OBS.

Urgently need to solve as I am a full time streamer (what I do for a living alongside artist work).

Attached log file. Internet died at end of log file.

Thanks everyone, any information needed, please let me know, I am not very good with tech stuff.

Kizz

Attachments

• 2019-04-02 09-53-03.txt
    54.6 KB · Views: 202

FerretBomb

To diagnose this fully, you'll need to end up on the technical side.
The most likely (99%) cause of this is, as R1CH stated, your modem/router; lower-quality ones can be overwhelmed by constant high-bitrate usage, and crash. Streaming upload tends to be much more demanding than most light/intermittent use, or short-term peaks like many bandwidth test sites; they can glitch internally due to poor firmware, simply overheat due to poor ventilation or components, or even just be kicked offline by your ISP for heavy extended usage under any number of excuses that boil down to 'using too much bandwidth, which is suspicious/expensive for us'.

First step would be to wait for the crash, unplug power to your modem, wait a few seconds, plug it back in, then wait a few minutes for it to boot up and re-establish connection to your ISP, and to let your computer re-acquire an internal IP. If your internet connection works again, troubleshooting done, it's the router/modem and you need a replacement with something of higher quality.

If still no joy, hit Win+R, type:
cmd
and hit enter. In the black box that pops up, type:
ipconfig /renew
and hit enter. It should pop up a block of text after a short delay, including a value for "IPv4 Address". Try your network again. If it works, congrats, troubleshooting done, it's the router/modem and you need a replacement with something of higher quality.

Past this point, it can be a failure of the onboard network card (solution: a PCIe network card), or an OS-level issue (solution: [redacted under legal advisement]). These are both very unlikely, however. From your logfile, OBS simply 'sees' your network connection go unresponsive, and is unable to send outgoing data across it... OBS appears to be working fine, it's your connection that disappears.

kizzyartfox

Hey guys,

Just wanna' thank you for your time, that was a lot of information you took the time to let me know about. Thanks!

However, the problem was something that I probably wouldn't have guessed without randomly coming across it.

The crashes have occurred only during streamlabs notifications. However, since I was not focused on this, I didn't notice the pattern.

I lowered my bitrate and it seems (fingers crossed) to have fixed the issue.

I think the bitrate being at 6000 and the huge gifs I use for notifications didn't get on well.

Will post here if the issue becomes a trend again.

kizzyartfox

To diagnose this fully, you'll need to end up on the technical side.
The most likely (99%) cause of this is, as R1CH stated, your modem/router; lower-quality ones can be overwhelmed by constant high-bitrate usage, and crash. Streaming upload tends to be much more demanding than most light/intermittent use, or short-term peaks like many bandwidth test sites; they can glitch internally due to poor firmware, simply overheat due to poor ventilation or components, or even just be kicked offline by your ISP for heavy extended usage under any number of excuses that boil down to 'using too much bandwidth, which is suspicious/expensive for us'.

First step would be to wait for the crash, unplug power to your modem, wait a few seconds, plug it back in, then wait a few minutes for it to boot up and re-establish connection to your ISP, and to let your computer re-acquire an internal IP. If your internet connection works again, troubleshooting done, it's the router/modem and you need a replacement with something of higher quality.

If still no joy, hit Win+R, type:
cmd
and hit enter. In the black box that pops up, type:
ipconfig /renew
and hit enter. It should pop up a block of text after a short delay, including a value for "IPv4 Address". Try your network again. If it works, congrats, troubleshooting done, it's the router/modem and you need a replacement with something of higher quality.

Past this point, it can be a failure of the onboard network card (solution: a PCIe network card), or an OS-level issue (solution: [redacted under legal advisement]). These are both very unlikely, however. From your logfile, OBS simply 'sees' your network connection go unresponsive, and is unable to send outgoing data across it... OBS appears to be working fine, it's your connection that disappears.

OK so I have just tested another notification and it disconnected my OBS again. It is definitely when a Streamlabs notification comes through, it disconnects my OBS and often my PC from the internet entirely.

No other devices in the house are effected.

Do you have any idea of why this is and maybe how I can rectify this?

Thanks so much in advance.

PS - The router is a Virgin Media Super Hub and I live in the UK with very good internet speeds (attached in this reply)

Attachments

• 8059559177.png
    8059559177.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 125

alza_bitz

Hi @kizzyartfox did you manage to resolve this problem in the end?

I think I'm experiencing the same issue, since I'm also with Virgin Media and I have the same Super Hub 3.0.

I'm considering getting a separate router and putting the Super Hub into modem-only mode, to see if that resolves the issue.

However, I'm concerned that the problem might actually be caused by the modem part of the Super Hub, and my understanding is that a separate modem can't be used with Virgin due to MAC address issues; if it turns out the problem is indeed caused by the modem, it implies that the only solution is to change ISP which seems quite drastic!