[unsupported] Datapath Vision Capture

[unsupported] Datapath Vision Capture 20130903

Bensam123

Erm... well how about one that doesn't crash and is less buggy? :o

Is there any reason to get one of the more expensive ones?

The problem is the plugin, not the card, and it affects all the Datapath cards. More expensive ones just do more, like multiple inputs, audio input, or higher resolutions/frame rates etc...

unph4zed

I posted about this card on these forums over a month ago but there was only 1 other person interested. They are about $200 more expensive than the DVI-DL. $1800 USD ish.

David K

I'd been watching for an E1S and happened to stumble on this one yesterday and bought it. Gaming PC is a 4770K with a GTX 970 and 16gB RAM with Windows 8.1

Was planning on a second PC with a 4690K or else a 1151 socket 6700 for a streaming box. Haven't bought a MB yet. Was probably going to use a 750ti GPU. Or are you using single PC approach?

Will download datapath drivers. Any advice about windows version or alternatively Linux? Which version of OBS?
Sorry for newbie questions. Appreciate any pointers and the work you've done.

Boildown

Nice! By the way, with a capture card there is no single-PC approach! I suppose one of the PCs might be a console.

Make sure you'll have a PCIe 4x or better slot available on the motherboard you use, that capture card needs it. OS doesn't really matter, but check the original post for a Datapath capture plugin, it only works with the 32-bit install of OBS Classic (which means no Linux). You don't need the plugin but it is supposed to help decrease OBS's CPU load.

Also you need a way to get the audio from your gaming PC to your streaming PC; that capture card is video-only. I have an old Sound Blaster in my streaming PC, and I run a Y-splitter on my gaming PC's analog surround fronts so I can cable that to the Sound Blaster's line-in.

If you haven't bought your 2nd PC yet, you should check out this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/47bzdc/budget_friendly_secondary_streaming_pc_guide

Last edited:

David K

Nice! By the way, with a capture card there is no single-PC approach! I suppose one of the PCs might be a console.

Make sure you'll have a PCIe 4x or better slot available on the motherboard you use, that capture card needs it. OS doesn't really matter, but check the original post for a Datapath capture plugin, it only works with the 32-bit install of OBS Classic (which means no Linux). You don't need the plugin but it is supposed to help decrease OBS's CPU load.

Also you need a way to get the audio from your gaming PC to your streaming PC; that capture card is video-only. I have an old Sound Blaster in my streaming PC, and I run a Y-splitter on my gaming PC's analog surround fronts so I can cable that to the Sound Blaster's line-in.

If you haven't bought your 2nd PC yet, you should check out this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Twitch/comments/47bzdc/budget_friendly_secondary_streaming_pc_guide

Link looks very helpful. We have an outboard mixer and and an RME card for the audio. Thanks for the heads up on the 4x PCIe requirement and the specific version of OBS classic. Hope to get the hardware by next week!

Boildown

This seller is still listing about one RGB-E1 per day on Ebay, like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/391405969104 . The last three have gone for right around $70. As long as you've got a spare PCIe 4x or better, this can't be touched. There's no way to get another 1080p60 capable capture card anywhere close to this price.

Careful with that OBS Classic plugin! It works, but it's buggy and randomly crashes. You can successfully use the Datapath card as a video source in OBS Studio, but the video and audio are always off sync. At the very least, it never crashes.

I'm still waiting for an OBS Studio plugin. (´;ω;`)

Muf, Paibox! Plz save us! >_<

Boildown

I don't have crashes using the Datapath OBS plugin when doing NVEnc local recording. I only have crashes when doing x264 encoding. This leads me to believe that its not the Datapath plugin that's the problem, because if it was, it would crash for both. Additionally, I've never had a audio/video desync problem (NVEnc nor x264). If you're having that problem, its not specific to Datapath, its because of a faulty or laggy audio setup. Probably using a USB sound card or the like, adding in delay.

I don't have crashes using the Datapath OBS plugin when doing NVEnc local recording. I only have crashes when doing x264 encoding. This leads me to believe that its not the Datapath plugin that's the problem, because if it was, it would crash for both. Additionally, I've never had a audio/video desync problem (NVEnc nor x264). If you're having that problem, its not specific to Datapath, its because of a faulty or laggy audio setup. Probably using a USB sound card or the like, adding in delay.
The desync only occurs in OBS Studio, without the plugin.

Interesting that the crashes only occur with x264. I don't do NVEnc, so I never knew that. Thanks for the info.

cruzlink2

Hey guys how exactly do you guys tell the difference between an S or a plain old E card? Is it in the model # serial# on the card? Or does it say so in the device manager or the vision software? Reason I ask is cause I picked up an E1S or so the auction said it was, for 200$. But no idea if it truly is an S. So how do you tell which one it is :)?

Hey guys how exactly do you guys tell the difference between an S or a plain old E card? Is it in the model # serial# on the card? Or does it say so in the device manager or the vision software? Reason I ask is cause I picked up an E1S or so the auction said it was, for 200$. But no idea if it truly is an S. So how do you tell which one it is :)?
Well, I've never used an e1, so I don't really know... I remember hearing that supposedly there's no way of telling. You might be able to give Datapath a call and ask them which model you have, based on the serial number on the device.

Supposedly, one surefire way of telling is to capture 1080p60/RGB32. I've heard that the e1 cards should drop frames, since they can only do 480MB/s, while the e1s can do 650MB/s.

David K

Hardware finally all here this next week. Ended up with the dual 2011 socket 2670 setup. Using for streaming games to Twitch initially...

Still not sure if plugin (available for 32 bit OBS classic) is recommended?
Any compelling reason to got with Win 7 64 bit or 8.1 over Win 10?
Expect we can sync the audio with our software/hardware setup unless it a randomly variable issue..

Thanks

Still not sure if plugin (available for 32 bit OBS classic) is recommended?
Any compelling reason to got with Win 7 64 bit or 8.1 over Win 10?
Expect we can sync the audio with our software/hardware setup unless it a randomly variable issue..
Personally, I'm a big fan of 8.1 Pro - supposedly you get better performance with screen capture and window capture in both 8.1 and 10 over 7. The only real benefit of going Win10 is the Media Foundation support. I guess it's up to you whether or not you want to go for it, but I'm extremely happy with 8.1 Pro x64 on my rig.

As for 32bit OBS classic with plugin, according to Boildown, it doesn't crash with NVEnc, but I doubt you'll be using NVEnc with a dual xeon setup... You can always test it out and see if you don't get the crashes like we do, but it seems likely that it will crash on you.

The audio desync isn't THAT bad. Most viewers wouldn't even notice it, but it is definitely there. I say give OBS Studio a try and add the Datapath card as a regular video source. Do a few test recordings and see if you're satisfied with it or not. I find that PS3 games (so 720p input) have less of a delay while 1080p inputs always have a bit more of a delay.