Ubiquitous 2 chat + OBS source plugin

Free Ubiquitous 2 chat + OBS source plugin 2.2

Nixxen

Hello Codex (or Xedoc if you prefer).

Contacted you via the youtube video a few days back regarding the CSS issue I was having.
I sort of gave up on that (believe me, I tried a whole bunch of stuff. It just kept resetting to default) and found a semi work around.

I found a solution to this now, and thought I'd post it here as well, in case someone else has the same issue.

The issue:
I made a copy of the index.html and renamed it, made a new CSS file for it based on the other themes and added it as a CLR browser in OBS.
Everything was always reset to default a split second after the CLR browser loaded (as in I could see the CSS working for just a few brief milliseconds).

I stumbled upon this thread about multistreaming in general.
Which lead me to this thread about setting up an Ubiquitous 2 OBS CLR chat with custom CSS.
In essence, the "!important;" bit was the thing I was missing. Setting it up in the CSS editor that is built into OBS makes sure that you override anything that's done by the theme CSS.
Keep in mind that the CSS has changed a bit since the guide was written, so don't just copy/paste what's already there. Just follow the guidelines and fill in the blanks where needed.

I couldn't figure out the timeout / fade function since there is now a new kind of outEffect in Umbiquitous 2. I just left the .js file alone and limited the CLR browser lines to 6 (which in effect deletes any text that is just outside my chat area).

codex

As always love you program it is amazing. I've seen a lot of streamers starting to use Discord Chat/Voice tool while streaming. I just started using it myself and really dig it. It would be awesome to get Discord Chat support added to your tool. That would make it the ultimate thing for me. With Discord you create a chat/voice server and you can setup chat and voice for people to join. It would be kool if your app could pull in the chat from what ever server/room you point it too. Here is some info on their API. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for all that you do ;c)
I'll check it.

I found a solution to this now, and thought I'd post it here as well, in case someone else has the same issue.

The issue:
I made a copy of the index.html and renamed it, made a new CSS file for it based on the other themes and added it as a CLR browser in OBS.
Everything was always reset to default a split second after the CLR browser loaded (as in I could see the CSS working for just a few brief milliseconds).

I stumbled upon this thread about multistreaming in general.
Which lead me to this thread about setting up an Ubiquitous 2 OBS CLR chat with custom CSS.
In essence, the "!important;" bit was the thing I was missing. Setting it up in the CSS editor that is built into OBS makes sure that you override anything that's done by the theme CSS.
Keep in mind that the CSS has changed a bit since the guide was written, so don't just copy/paste what's already there. Just follow the guidelines and fill in the blanks where needed.

I couldn't figure out the timeout / fade function since there is now a new kind of outEffect in Umbiquitous 2. I just left the .js file alone and limited the CLR browser lines to 6 (which in effect deletes any text that is just outside my chat area).

Sorry, I'm in business trip in Austria now, so I didn't have a time to investigate that. Glad you found a solution :) I will try to describe timeout tuning a bit later

Nixxen

Do you have a github repo or some sort of bugtracker repo for this?
Would probably make it easier to see if something has been suggested already, or to add a vote to something you want to see.

I'll just post some few features I'd like to see in the future here for now:
  • Clearing the chat without having to restart the program (That goes for both program and webserver - I sometimes restart the stream for the VODs, and would like to have the chat clean in between. Alternately if I figure out how the timeout stuff works that will sort of take care of it automatically I suppose)
  • When restarting the software, it would be nice if it remembered the position it had when closing down.
  • Ability for the program to check for other instances of Ubiquitous 2 running already, and not launch a second time.
  • Some way to run the program from a batch file, for instance installing it with a "path" command? That way you could do <start "" "Ubiquitous2.exe"> in a bat file and the program would launch. Not sure if this is possible with a self installing program like this though.

Bugs:
  • A way for the users list to update when people leave. It seems that it counts people joining in but it keeps them in the list for a long time after they leave. It also doesn't show people who are idling without talking (as far as I've seen). I have Trillian open (use it for sending voice commands to the chat), and can see people joining in and out of the stream, but the Users list in Ubiquitous doesn't update.

edit: added some more features ;)

Last edited:

Nixxen

Hello :)
Seems streamup chat is not working? it does connect but won't show msgs so it seems..
Make sure you enter get the Oauth completed.
Only stream chats that are logged in or Oauth enabled will have outgoing (program to chat) ability.

Isegrim

Loged out of the website and tried connecting only with the app. This way the U2 does connect (hitbox icon stays green) BUT no messages are displayed and the viewer counter is at 0. Application Version is 2.2.1.97.
Found the reason for the issue.
If anyone else runs into something like this, make sure you aren't using Squid 2 for caching.

codex

Do you have a github repo or some sort of bugtracker repo for this?
Would probably make it easier to see if something has been suggested already, or to add a vote to something you want to see.

I'll just post some few features I'd like to see in the future here for now:
  • Clearing the chat without having to restart the program (That goes for both program and webserver - I sometimes restart the stream for the VODs, and would like to have the chat clean in between. Alternately if I figure out how the timeout stuff works that will sort of take care of it automatically I suppose)
  • When restarting the software, it would be nice if it remembered the position it had when closing down.
  • Ability for the program to check for other instances of Ubiquitous 2 running already, and not launch a second time.
  • Some way to run the program from a batch file, for instance installing it with a "path" command? That way you could do <start "" "Ubiquitous2.exe"> in a bat file and the program would launch. Not sure if this is possible with a self installing program like this though.

Bugs:
  • A way for the users list to update when people leave. It seems that it counts people joining in but it keeps them in the list for a long time after they leave. It also doesn't show people who are idling without talking (as far as I've seen). I have Trillian open (use it for sending voice commands to the chat), and can see people joining in and out of the stream, but the Users list in Ubiquitous doesn't update.

edit: added some more features ;)
- github repo is private, but you can post bugs here or on the xedocproject.com
- You can clear channel specific chat or all channels via context menu in the Channel list:
aL36W1H.png

- timeout option in the web works only if you specify "outeffect": http://www.xedocproject.com/forum/index.php?/topic/432-ubiquitous-2-web-ui-url-options/
- persistent window position was added in the very early version of the app but there was a bug with multi monitor setups. It is fixed in current update;
- instance check will be added;
- you can start it from bach file, e.g.: start "" "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Xedoc\Ubiquitous2.appref-ms" File location may be language/OS specific. To find out correct one - just drag and drop Ubiquitous 2 link from the start menu to cmd.exe window;

Not every chat implements join/leave messages. Currently if chat doesn't implement it - app just adds a user if he posted something but doesn't remove it from the user list. Its not a bug its just not finished feature :)

For an example - Youtube handle it in that way: user gets added to the list if he posts something and removed if he didn't post anything in specified time.

Last edited:

Belaul

I always thought that the RestreamChat and Ubiquitous chats seemed oddly similar. If that's the case then, when do you think that RestreamChat will support saving messages to a text file like Ubiquitous? I need this feature since I created a chat bot that's usable across all streaming services and it was using the log files to interact with the viewers. It was the one feature that kept me from moving to RestreamChat.

AckMeL666

Not sure if anyone ever requested this already but to make this chat program complete adding support for BetterTTV and FrankerFaceZ emoticons would be amazing. Here is their links...
https://manage.betterttv.net
https://www.frankerfacez.com
They're getting very popular now especially with Twitch.tv hopefully it wouldn't be too complicated. I know Chatty supports them. Thank You codex for all that you do ;c)

Nixxen

Thank you for the replies, got it all set up now :D

I recently ran into an issue where UB2 doesn't update chats any more, and is eating away around 15-20% CPU.
I can't write into the program.
Forcing a restart is the only way to fix it.
Other times while running UB2 the "system" task(the generic one that's just called "system") takes up 20-50% of the CPU. Haven't encountered this when not running UB2, but that could be a coincidence though.

Both of these seems to be completely at random as far as I can tell, and I haven't been able to figure out what is triggering it.

codex

Youtube chat just seems to work some days and not others. It's so inconsistent on both Restream and UB2.
https://gaming.youtube.com/user/smashbro29/live is the channel.
Thats weird, nobody else complained yet. Could you please check next time if there crashlog.txt file in the Documents\Ubiquitous2\ directory ?

Thank you for the replies, got it all set up now :D

I recently ran into an issue where UB2 doesn't update chats any more, and is eating away around 15-20% CPU.
I can't write into the program.
Forcing a restart is the only way to fix it.
Other times while running UB2 the "system" task(the generic one that's just called "system") takes up 20-50% of the CPU. Haven't encountered this when not running UB2, but that could be a coincidence though.

Both of these seems to be completely at random as far as I can tell, and I haven't been able to figure out what is triggering it.
What chats/services do you use when it happen ?

Nixxen

What chats/services do you use when it happen ?

Twitch
Beam
Youtube

Before "crashing" all of the services work, and I can both send and receive messages from them.

I also run Trillian connected to the Twitch IRC and the chat still rolls by there. Beam works from their webpage. Youtube I haven't checked on the page itself after UB2 stops.

Last time this happened I was around 1.5 hours into the stream.

Thats weird, nobody else complained yet. Could you please check next time if there crashlog.txt file in the Documents\Ubiquitous2\ directory ?
No crashlog.

Is it only supposed to work when the stream is live?

I did 2 streams in one day without closing the program, stream 1 the chats came in, stream 2 no chats came in.