Trying to record on second monitor through separate source

Jeff P

Alright I’m going to try and explain this the best I can, appreciate all the help in advance.

Recently I built my own arcade cabinet with a pandora box.. I want to start recording some runs of old games but can’t even seem to get obs to detect monitor 2.

So my arcade monitor has 2 sources, vga and dvi. Right now my pandora box is being displayed using VGA. I figured If i hooked up a dvi to hdmi straight to my laptop It would detect and I would be able to just click on second display to record.

This is not the case, i’m assuming because i’m trying to record what’s going on on screen FROM the VGA connection?

I was thinking maybe getting a vga splitter, and get a vga to hdmi cable to hook up straight to my laptop. Do Y’all think this could somehow work? Or can it work as it stands right now.. thanks everyone.

qhobbes

More than likely the HDMI port on your laptop is for outputting video and audio. Do not split the VGA signal from your box, get a vga to hdmi cable and connect it to your laptop. DO NOT DO THIS.

You can try splitting the VGA signal from your box, get a vga to hdmi cable and connect it to a hdmi capture device which is then connected to your laptop via USB or thunderbolt or whatever (not HDMI)

Jeff P

More than likely the HDMI port on your laptop is for outputting video and audio. Do not split the VGA signal from your box, get a vga to hdmi cable and connect it to your laptop. DO NOT DO THIS.

You can try splitting the VGA signal from your box, get a vga to hdmi cable and connect it to a hdmi capture device which is then connected to your laptop via USB or thunderbolt or whatever (not HDMI)