Terrible Encoder Overload After Installing Elgato 4k60 Pro MK.2 Log File Included, Please Help!

Graybeard_Giff

I've used a PC for a couple years to game and stream/record/edit on. Things were pretty good and as that PC sits is has a 3900X, 2080 Super and 32GB of RAM. I was able to game in 1440p with mixed settings for Warzone and maintain about 100-110 fps while streaming in Quality at 8-10000 bitrate and recording in x264 Fast using 20-25000 bitrate. Life was not bad.

Then I built a second PC for gaming only. It has a 3600X, 3090 and 16GB of RAM and I've had zero issue with it.

This week I installed an Elgato 4k60 Pro MK.2 in the streaming PC. I've spent HOURS on the phone with Elgato and they suspected the first capture card was bad so I exchanged it for another brand new one and I'm having the same issues. I can't even hold the same settings that I used when I only had one PC and it was doing the gaming, streaming and recording!

Literally the only things that have changed is I moved the SSD with the games to the new PC and installed the capture card in the streaming PC.

At whit's end I used the auto-configure wizard and tried to stream (to a private YouTube stream) and record and it was a disaster immediately.
https://obsproject.com/logs/bs9ot9FtxAS9Rtym

I was streaming in 1440p/60 and now I can't touch 1080p/60 and nothing has changed to that machine except what's mentioned above. I would sincerely appreciate any constructive advice. I keep lowering settings and sometimes drop as much as 97% of the encoding frames. I can usually figure these things out with some help from Google, but this time I'm totally at a loss.

Thanks for your time and anything you can offer,
Giff

Graybeard_Giff

First run as admin.
Second game dvr set to off.
You have diffrent FPS settings, source 144fps, record 60.
On the beginning run without rescale.

Thanks for the suggestions!!

I've tried running as admin, but I'll try again.

What do you mean about the "dvr set to off"? I'm not familiar with OBS DVR functionality and can't find that in the settings.

I split up the fps in Windows from the gaming PC based on suggestions from Elgato support, I'll switch both outputs back to 144fps and try that.

When you say "run without rescale" do you mean don't lower the resolution from my base canvas?

Thanks again!

Tomasz Góral

00:37:43.672: Game DVR: On
00:37:44.444: video settings reset:
00:37:44.444: base resolution: 2560x1440
00:37:44.444: output resolution: 1920x1080

Do you sometimes read what you have in the logs?
Output resolution set to 2560x1440.
Game DVR - is funcionality on Windows, looks to system settings.

Set FPS to 60, your capture card get 144 fps. (why ? simple 144 / 60 is 2.4, if you need high fps set 120fps 120/60 is 2, i recommend 60fps)

Sound set to one value e.g. 48000 Hz, your cam is 44100 Hz.

Graybeard_Giff

00:37:43.672: Game DVR: On
00:37:44.444: video settings reset:
00:37:44.444: base resolution: 2560x1440
00:37:44.444: output resolution: 1920x1080

Do you sometimes read what you have in the logs?
Output resolution set to 2560x1440.
Game DVR - is funcionality on Windows, looks to system settings.

Set FPS to 60, your capture card get 144 fps. (why ? simple 144 / 60 is 2.4, if you need high fps set 120fps 120/60 is 2, i recommend 60fps)

Sound set to one value e.g. 48000 Hz, your cam is 44100 Hz.

I've actually read it several times, I'm just trying to understand your sentence fragments. I appreciate the help, but we don't have to be jerks about it.

Graybeard_Giff

Tried all of the above and it was an almost instant disaster. Encoding overload was immediate and sever. I did realize that, per Task Manager, just opening OBS in not admin mode I'm using 75-80% of my GPU capacity with the Elgato capture card scene removed, with the scene I am using about 90% of the GPU capacity before I ever try to stream or record, just idling. That seems obtusely high, anyone have any thoughts on that?

As always, thanks!

Graybeard_Giff

When I turned the resolution of my Elgato 4k Cam Link down to 1080 in properties it dropped the GPU usage to about 10%, but when I put the scene back in with the 4k60 capture card at 1440 it took the GPU back to 95% usage. Lowering the 4k60 resolution in properties to 1080 brought the idling usage of the GPU to about 52%.

These things make sense sort to me, but I never had similar issues when using just one PC to play and stream. However, using a capture card is brand new to me.

Tomasz Góral

Prepare new config, minimal one scene only with grabber card.
Second try block virutal cpu (you have 12 core and 24 v-core, block in BIOS).

Graybeard_Giff

Prepare new config, minimal one scene only with grabber card.
Second try block virutal cpu (you have 12 core and 24 v-core, block in BIOS).

I undid some of things that Elgato suggested and have a single scene with just the capture card like you suggested. After fiddling with the stream/capture settings I was able to capture and stream a Youtube video. However, as soon as I loaded a game the capture screen went almost entirely green. I've tried setting the color to partial in Advanced Settings, but that hasn't helped.

Do you mean turn off SMT in BIOS?

Thanks!