Telegram Desktop causing endless loop in OBS

Panossa

Hey, so I have this problem:

Sometimes, when I use Telegram Desktop before starting a game, it tries to capture it (as game capture), fails and then gets stuck.

18:02:55.609: [game-capture: 'Game Capture'] attempting to hook fullscreen process: Telegram.exe
19:14:48.491: adding 21 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 64 milliseconds (source: Desktop-Audio)

I THOUGHT that happens whenever I open something in fullscreen but when I test that it doesn't do that? Not sure.

So what happens is: whenever it gets stuck on Telegram, it just doesn't register any other fullscreen application any more. Even if I close the fullscreen view of Telegram (didn't try closing Telegram completely). After that and in general, OBS doesn't even try to hook into Telegram another time, it's just stuck on the first try?

The only thing I know I can do to fix it (besides restarting OBS once I finally notice it) is switching to another scene and back.

Can I add Telegram to the OBS blacklist (where explorer.exe is etc) or something? It's really frustrating, I lost around 3 hours of highlights to it today. :/

Attachments

• 2021-05-05 08-14-20.txt
    39.5 KB · Views: 86

koala

If OBS is capturing some full screen app in error, you need to tell OBS to not capture arbitrary apps fullscreen. So don't use the option "capture any fullscreen application" on any game capture source. Instead, use the option "capture specific window" for every game capture source and use the Window drop down list to explicitly specify which app/game you want to capture with this source. This will also work if the game is running fullscreen - it doesn't require the game to run windowed, despite the option text.

Panossa

If OBS is capturing some full screen app in error, you need to tell OBS to not capture arbitrary apps fullscreen. So don't use the option "capture any fullscreen application" on any game capture source. Instead, use the option "capture specific window" for every game capture source and use the Window drop down list to explicitly specify which app/game you want to capture with this source. This will also work if the game is running fullscreen - it doesn't require the game to run windowed, despite the option text.

Hey, thanks for your answer. Unfortunately, I'm often switching games and I don't want to have to always think about switching scenes or sources whenever I start another game.
I would use Nvidia Shadowplay but it doesn't have support for multiple audio tracks.

So the only fix for me would be adding programs to the blacklist manually, I think?
Or if OBS fixes it officially.

koala

The capture "blacklist" is meant to exclude apps that cannot be captured by OBS for technical reasons. There is no function to edit this list manually. I don't know if capturing Telegram.exe in the way as it happens for you is an error (bug), or simply undesired behavior from your point of view (but no bug), so I'm unable to comment on this further. This is a thing to decide by the developers. I tried to give a workaround.

Panossa

Okay, then I'll let them decide. Or should I post this somewhere else for it to be noticed by them?

Panossa

Update: after my post, OBS received an update where they allegedly fixed the "blackscreen" issue with game captures. Didn't really notice a problem with Telegram after that but it might be just luck. Anyways, since the last Telegram update (1-2 days ago) OBS now always gets stuck on a blackscreen whenever I open an image or video in the Telegram desktop app. I can only fix it by afterwards switching scenes, waiting and then switching back. Very annoying. Please put Telegram on a blacklist for game captures. :|