Switching between multiple configurations of the same video capture source?

Kizzume

I didn't think it was possible, but I recently saw a Twitch stream with someone smoothly switching between different scenes that are using the same video capture source (assuming it's their webcam). In one scene, their webcam image fills up most of the screen area, and in another scene, it's only a tiny window. How is this possible for them to smoothly switch between them?

I can create multiple sources using the same video capture device (in my case, a Cam Link) with different configurations, but to switch between them, I have to set them to deactivate when not showing, click to unselect the current one, then click to select another one. It's certainly nothing I can just smoothly switch between using different scenes--if I try, it just turns black and I have to unselect and reselect that source. If I don't have the sources set to deactivate when not showing, it just shows black on both scenes when I try to switch between scenes.

I'm assuming there's a trick to doing this that I don't know about. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
When adding the source to the second scene, select "add existing" which will create a reference to the original source.

Kizzume

When adding the source to the second scene, select "add existing" which will create a reference to the original source.
Oh. Yeah, that does work when just trying to change the size. I guess I was trying to do more than just change its size (and I assumed it would be solved the same way), I was trying to have a filter on one but not the other. Is that possible?

Thanks.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
It is, in a bit of a roundabout way. Create a new scene with just the webcam full screen. Then add the scene as a source to other scenes, and apply filters to the scene source.

Kizzume

Wow, that's so weird, it took me a moment to figure out what you meant, but it worked. Thanks very much.

koala

Instead of using a scene as source and apply the filters to the scene, you can as well put the cam source instances into groups and apply the filters to the groups instead of to the sources directly.

Kizzume

I can't seem to get this to work right anymore. I recently re-installed Windows, and I can't seem to get the filter to apply to a resized source. I don't remember having this problem before. The filter doesn't resize with the source. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

kenny13

Instead of using a scene as source and apply the filters to the scene, you can as well put the cam source instances into groups and apply the filters to the groups instead of to the sources directly.
I encountered a similar problem, where i was trying to apply different filters to the same video source in different scenes, but had the sources as separate inputs in each scene.

The grouping suggestion above works great for me, and I can smoothly transition between scenes with different group filters applied. Thanks Koala!