Suggestion - Pause Button

MCPMatt

I would like to see a "pause recording" button so instead of recording and then having to stop, you can pause it and then unpause when you want to carry on.

Example:

Playing Minecraft and you get an important phone call or you get a delivery and instead of having to edit the video out, you can pause the recording and go do what you have to then come back, unpause and carry on.

Cloudwolf

Interesting suggestion but is that any better than stopping the recording and clicking record and then splicing the footage togethere? I guess it saves you post process editing. I do like the idea of a pause for local recording though.

LeonhartGR

I need that pause button for my YT playthroughs as well! I need to pause when I want to level up the character a bit and then continue with the recording...

DeadlySprinklez

OH MY GOD JIM WHY HAVEN'T YOU PUT TH--
Nah, not going there. Was just about to post a topic on the same matter, then saw this. Total support, this NEEDS to be in the next update.

EDIT: *Next MAJOR update. Like 0.6 or 1.0 or something.

DeadlySprinklez

So I had a chat in private messages with Jim. One of the messages said this.
I want to have that feature. It's a really cool feature, and it -can- be done. So I'll see what I can do about implementing it in the future. I can't implement it right away, I just can't, but in the future I think it'll be doable. So I will try to get it in at some point.
And he gave me complete approval to post it.

SweDuck75

Awesome, this would really help with the local recordings so we can keep track of how long our recordings are. Great idea and I'm looking forward to see it in the program in the future.

fingerman4086

This would be great, I think newer editors would definitely enjoy it. It might bridge the gap between messing up and redoing recordings and actual video editing. Definitely hope to see this.

Reactions: D C

vbdkv

Switch to a different scene and make an image for it .. Such as "BRB" :)
You cant really pause a livestream.

I mean, what happens when people start asking you questions 5 mins later? It will take you 5 mins to respond and that's rather silly. Twitch for instance already apply a 30sec delay, and even that is annoying for the streamer and viewer.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
vbdkv said:

I mean, what happens when people start asking you questions 5 mins later? It will take you 5 mins to respond and that's rather silly. Twitch for instance already apply a 30sec delay, and even that is annoying for the streamer and viewer.
That's why this thread is only talking about pausing local recording.

vbdkv

dodgepong said:
vbdkv said:

That's why this thread is only talking about pausing local recording.
Why would you want to do that? If you're gonna be recording locally, get a proper editing program. No need to be all negative about it.

You know, you edit your video ... If you wanna take a break, stop recording .. lol

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
I'm not being negative, just clarifying why it's not as crazy of an idea as you might have thought.

And yes, an editor would be able to do this, but if it can be done without an editor, then a pause button makes it easy and fast. It's kind of a quirky feature request, I'll give you that, but not unreasonable.

LeonhartGR

Sorry for bumping but I thought of editing with sony vegas until that feature is implemented. Apart from the time the program will spend to re-encode I'm afraid of losing from quality since the editor is going to encode the video for a second time. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Xenoranger

After skimming this thread...

I would very much appreciate a pause button. Think about the time it saves in post-processing!!
I use OBS for a number of things (not just games).
  • Tech Tutorials
  • WebCam Streams
  • Game Streams
  • Producing Commentaries
This is a sweet piece of software.

Sadly, I get interrupted, so the ability to pause is a huge feature I'd like to see.

Rundaus

I've seen it stated that having a local recording pause button is just a lazy version of editing, but I would love to see this feature.

I've been using obs to essentially take care of the rendering while I record, so I have a file ready to upload to
YouTube when I am done recording. Only having an hour or two of free time between work and other such activities makes traditional editing not feasible most times.

As a hobby to wind down with, the pause feature would be amazing.

blixel

I only use OBS for local recording and would LOVE to have a way to pause recording and resume. Having 1 video to upload instead of 5 videos to splice together in editing software would be a huge time saver. Also, I assume that splicing videos together in an editor and then rendering them causes a loss of quality does it not?