Question / Help Stutter in stream/preview. No rendering/encoding lag.

MajorDrumKill

Apologies if this was mentioned already, lots of pages are on this post.

Are you using G-Sync? Because to my understanding, OBS does NOT get along with G-Sync at all and that causes random stuttering. I too have this issue. Try turning G-Sync off and see if it goes away.

Kraezy

Firstly, apologies for the wall of text
Secondly...

You won't believe it. I've finally fixed it my end.... but …. in all honesty I don't know what cured it, though suggest you read through incase anything stirs an idea in your head.

I was in the process of switching some options around in the Elgato 4k60pro Capture utility software (turning off SteamLink and setting EDID mode from display to internal) and my gaming pc flickered (as it tries to pulling the capture card signal), my gaming pc then went into a reboot loop until I forced the power off at the PSU.

I unplugged the HDMI cable from the back of my Gaming PC GPU (that was connected to the 4k60 pro) and turned the power back on and it booted up fine, but I noticed the RGB on my fans (which is controlled by an RGB box that came with the case) had reset, normally they'd scroll through a cycle of colors but they're now just fading in and out white, repeatedly, so I was like "hmmm.... strange" but anyway...
(will check BIOS for any changes after posting this, will let you know if I spot anything different)

Loaded up OBS, on both PC's. I then removed the Video capture source on streaming pc OBS, added in an NDI source and boom, preview window is buttery smooth, recordings are buttery smooth. Been testing all night for the past 4 hours and not a single hitch, slow down.

Anyway, I will run down as much as I can in my process during the course of today (had the day off so I've been at it since 09:00 yesterday morning) in case any of it helps you guys pin point any settings you may have differently.

• Wiped both my gaming and streaming pc and reinstalled Windows 10 2004
(something I've done numerous times during the past couple of years of trying to identify this issue and found 2004 to be the most stable when gaming etc so I've stuck with it)
During the process of installing windows, I kept EVERYTHING plugged in including network cable and allowed Windows to update all my drivers during installation.
• Windows installed NVIDIA drivers 456.71 on both pc's, I left the streaming pc with 456.71 but did a DDU clean install of 471.68 on my Gaming PC
• I then updated both PC's to the latest Cumulative updates for 2004, and basically kept updating each pc till Windows no longer found any updates for Win 2004.
• Other software I installed manually were OBS (27.1.3) and Process Lasso on both PC's (setting CPU Priority on OBS to High via Lasso), Elgato4k Capture Utility, Steam to obviously pull my game library in to test games (Steam overlay is off)

• (Gaming PC) Installed ob-NDI-plugin 4.9.0 (windows installer version) and also let it install the NDI 4.1 Runtime
• (Streaming PC) Installed ob-NDI-plugin 4.9.0 (windows installer version) but unticked the NDI 4.1 Runtime and I installed NDI Tools 5.0

So this is point where I'd been switching settings around in NVCP, OBS and 4k capture utility to try and remove this slowdown affect.

Slow down was still present, so I changed some settings which I normally do anyway (in windows) as don't feel windows needs to have these running, most of my changes are done on the streaming PC as this is where I feel the issue lays, but anyway I will list all the settings that I know that I've changed on both pcs prior to the Elgato4k flipping out and my Gaming PC randomly rebooting, leading me to remove the Video capture source and add NDI back in, to then finding it smooth.

I will list my Windows, NVCP, OBS and any other settings that could be helpful to you guys that you may have overlooked.

STREAMING PC (1080p/60 Monitor)
Windows settings > Gaming
• Game Bar: OFF
• Capture: OFF
• Game Mode: ON

Windows Settings > Gaming > Graphics Settings (using a 750ti so don't have the options for HAGS or VRR)
• Added OBS to the list (click browse) and set to High Performance

Windows settings > Privacy
Diagnostics and Feedback > Feedback Frequency = Never

Windows settings > Privacy > Background App
Let Apps Run in the background: OFF

Windows Settings > Update and Security > Windows Security
Virus & Threat Protection > Manage Settings >
Turn off the following, Cloud-Delivered Protection & Automatic Sample Submission

Click on Add or Remove Exclusions
Add FOLDER C:\Program Files\obs-studio
Add Process obs64.exe

App & Browser Control > Exploit Protection > Program Settings
Add obs64.exe
scroll down to CONTROL FLOW GUARD (CFG)
Tick override system settings and turn off
Apply

Nvidia Control Panel
Manage 3d Settings > Global Settings

• Everything is on Default, except Vsync = ON
• In program settings, for OBS everything is as Global settings except Power Management mode is set to PMP

> Adjust desktop size and position
Scaling: No scaling
Perform Scaling on: GPU
No tick in 'Override the scaling mode..."

OBS
Settings > Advanced > Process Priority: High
Settings > Video > Common FPS Values: 60
NDI Source
• Bandwidth: Highest
• Sync: Source Timing
• Latency Mode: Normal (safe)

GAMING PC (1440p 144hz - set to 120hz)

All windows settings in terms of security and background apps etc are left on/default. I haven't changed anything on my Gaming pc in this respect, apart from the obvious settings we usually advise people anyway.

Game Mode: ON
Game Bar: OFF
Game Capture: OFF
Hardware GPU Scheduling: OFF
VRR: OFF

NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL
Manage 3d Settings > Global settings

• GSYNC: On
• Power Management: Prefer Max Performance
• Preferred Refresh Rate: App Controlled
• Vertical Sync: Use 3D App setting

Adjust desktop size and position
No scaling on Display, and NO tick in 'Override the scaling mode set by games...'

Run Process Lasso to force CPU Priority to High on OBS

SETTINGS IN GAMES (ingame options)
Vsync on / 120 FPS limiter if the game has the option
Though tbh you could probably just set that per game in NVCP (not had time to get round to doing it so only tested via ingame options)

I've turned OFF Windows updates on both pcs (start > run > type GPEDIT.msc)
Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows update
• Configure Automatic Updates = Set to Disabled
This does not disable your ability to update, only Windows automatically updating without your consent.

Of course if you're curious to any other settings that I may not have listed by all means ask away and I'll check what mine are set at, though at this stage I'm not prepared to start changing anything around in order to diagnose this, as much as I want to, fear of it all messing up again is causing me to just leave everything as it is now.

Created a restore point, written down all the settings I know of and taken screenshots of everything I can think of too incase in future I have to reinstall either pc.

Anyway, It's now 02:47, my eyes are bleeding, my brain hurts but at last I can finally sleep somewhat better and actually get back into streaming again, if this holds up. Though no doubt I'll wake up tomorrow and it'll be stuttering again...

Last edited:

MajorDrumKill

Secondly...

You won't believe it. I've finally fixed it my end.... but …. in all honesty I don't know what cured it, though suggest you read through incase anything stirs an idea in your head.

I was in the process of switching some options around in the Elgato 4k60pro Capture utility software (turning off SteamLink and setting EDID mode from display to internal) and my gaming pc flickered (as it tries to pulling the capture card signal), my gaming pc then went into a reboot loop until I forced the power off at the PSU.

I unplugged the HDMI cable from the back of my Gaming PC GPU (that was connected to the 4k60 pro) and turned the power back on and it booted up fine, but I noticed the RGB on my fans (which is controlled by an RGB box that came with the case) had reset, normally they'd scroll through a cycle of colors but they're now just fading in and out white, repeatedly, so I was like "hmmm.... strange" but anyway...
(will check BIOS for any changes after posting this, will let you know if I spot anything different)

Loaded up OBS, on both PC's. I then removed the Video capture source on streaming pc OBS, added in an NDI source and boom, preview window is buttery smooth, recordings are buttery smooth. Been testing all night for the past 4 hours and not a single hitch, slow down.

Anyway, I will run down as much as I can in my process during the course of today (had the day off so I've been at it since 09:00 yesterday morning) in case any of it helps you guys pin point any settings you may have differently.

(something I've done numerous times during the past couple of years of trying to identify this issue and found 2004 to be the most stable when gaming etc so I've stuck with it)
During the process of installing windows, I kept EVERYTHING plugged in including network cable and allowed Windows to update all my drivers during installation.
• Windows installed NVIDIA drivers 456.71 on both pc's, I left the streaming pc with 456.71 but did a DDU clean install of 471.68 on my Gaming PC
• I then updated both PC's to the latest Cumulative updates for 2004, and basically kept updating each pc till Windows no longer found any updates for Win 2004.
• Other software I installed manually were OBS (27.1.3) and Process Lasso on both PC's (setting CPU Priority on OBS to High via Lasso), Elgato4k Capture Utility, Steam to obviously pull my game library in to test games (Steam overlay is off)

• (Gaming PC) Installed ob-NDI-plugin 4.9.0 (windows installer version) and also let it install the NDI 4.1 Runtime
• (Streaming PC) Installed ob-NDI-plugin 4.9.0 (windows installer version) but unticked the NDI 4.1 Runtime and I installed NDI Tools 5.0

So this is point where I'd been switching settings around in NVCP, OBS and 4k capture utility to try and remove this slowdown affect.

Slow down was still present, so I changed some settings which I normally do anyway (in windows) as don't feel windows needs to have these running, most of my changes are done on the streaming PC as this is where I feel the issue lays, but anyway I will list all the settings that I know that I've changed on both pcs prior to the Elgato4k flipping out and my Gaming PC randomly rebooting, leading me to remove the Video capture source and add NDI back in, to then finding it smooth.

I will list my Windows, NVCP, OBS and any other settings that could be helpful to you guys that you may have overlooked.

Windows Settings > Gaming > Graphics Settings (using a 750ti so don't have the options for HAGS or VRR)

Turn off the following, Cloud-Delivered Protection & Automatic Sample Submission

Add Process obs64.exe

Add obs64.exe
Apply

Nvidia Control Panel

• In program settings, for OBS everything is as Global settings except Power Management mode is set to PMP

OBS
NDI Source

All windows settings in terms of security and background apps etc are left on/default. I haven't changed anything on my Gaming pc in this respect, apart from the obvious settings we usually advise people anyway.

NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL

No scaling on Display, and NO tick in 'Override the scaling mode set by games...'

Though tbh you could probably just set that per game in NVCP (not had time to get round to doing it so only tested via ingame options)

Local Computer Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows update
This does not disable your ability to update, only Windows automatically updating without your consent.

Of course if you're curious to any other settings that I may not have listed by all means ask away and I'll check what mine are set at, though at this stage I'm not prepared to start changing anything around in order to diagnose this, as much as I want to, fear of it all messing up again is causing me to just leave everything as it is now.

Created a restore point, written down all the settings I know of and taken screenshots of everything I can think of too incase in future I have to reinstall either pc.

Anyway, It's now 02:47, my eyes are bleeding, my brain hurts but at last I can finally sleep somewhat better and actually get back into streaming again, if this holds up. Though no doubt I'll wake up tomorrow and it'll be stuttering again...
You are correct with this change. From what I have gathered, the stuttering comes from the fact we are using G-SYNC. G-SYNC is not supported by the capture cards we use, that's why the stuttering comes into play. And from all the testing I've done in the past, NDI doesn't seem to be affected by G-SYNC.

So really, general rule is with a 2 PC set up, if you use G-SYNC, roll with NDI. If not, capture cards with V-Sync will be just fine.

Kraezy

Yeah that wasn't the issue though, I've tested NDI with and without Gsync before, stuttering was present prior to purchasing an 4k60pro.
Tested with capture card, Gsync on and off - still had stuttering.

Not saying Gsync doesn't add to the stuttering, but it's certainly not the root cause of my particular issue and probably everyone elses.

Tested again this morning , still smooth.

Kraezy

OK to add.
Did a little further testing seems the best practice for best results (For me anyway)

Is to ensure that if you're running a 144hz monitor (or if the highest refresh on your monitor is not divisible by 60) to set preferred refresh rate to APP Controlled (In NVCP)

Assuming it's pulling in the 144hz through even though I've set it to 120hz in the resolution setting. As obvious as it is as 144hz is the highest available, even though I've set it to 120hz.

GAME PC
As soon as I set Preferred Refresh Rate to Highest Available, stuttering occurs
As soon as I set VSYNC ON in NVCP, mild stuttering occurs (though not as bad as setting Highest Available in the Pref Refresh Rate)

With Pref Refresh Rate to App controlled
VSync set to use 3D Settings
Everything is smooth again.

MajorDrumKill

OK to add.
Did a little further testing seems the best practice for best results (For me anyway)

Is to ensure that if you're running a 144hz monitor (or if the highest refresh on your monitor is not divisible by 60) to set preferred refresh rate to APP Controlled (In NVCP)

Assuming it's pulling in the 144hz through even though I've set it to 120hz in the resolution setting. As obvious as it is as 144hz is the highest available, even though I've set it to 120hz.

GAME PC
As soon as I set Preferred Refresh Rate to Highest Available, stuttering occurs
As soon as I set VSYNC ON in NVCP, mild stuttering occurs (though not as bad as setting Highest Available in the Pref Refresh Rate)

With Pref Refresh Rate to App controlled
VSync set to use 3D Settings
Everything is smooth again.
Interesting... I'll play around with this myself!

thekrynn

Can confirm that I'm experiencing this issue as well as of this past few months, whereas I never used to have it at the beginning of 2021. Maybe as some insight into the thread, I typically experience it after 3 hours or so of streaming and recording, where my 1080p60 stream will experience a slight hiccup and then the recording will end up looking like 30fps where every other frame is a duplicate. Not only am I seeing this on Windows, but I am also seeing this on my main streaming machine as well, which is a ridiculously overspec'd MacPro. Have reproduced it on recordings where I am capturing a gaming feed from the PC in 2 different ways:

1. through a blackmagic out feed out of OBS on the PC through SDI mirror into the Mac as SDI capture
2. through a HDMI capture on the Mac directly from HDMI port on the gaming PC GPU

Obviously since no gaming is actually even occurring on the Mac, and neither the CPU or either of the dual GPUs ever go above 10% and OBS never drops frames, it appears that something occurs in OBS which triggers it, and the recording never recovers to full 60fps until the stream and recording is restarted. Have similar results on the Gaming PC in OBS locally. And to be clear, I've tried this with both CPU and GPU encoding, and have had similar results where the problem doesn't show up until hours in.

FTG

Secondly...

Add Process obs64.exe

Add obs64.exe
Apply

Nvidia Control Panel

OBS
NDI Source

NVIDIA CONTROL PANEL

This is by far the best, most comprehensive test done to elimimate issues fro OBS. Although the concept of your testing is fairly simple, the results are amazing. This solution has fixed my issues and the computer is runnign all of my games better than it ever has. You sir deserve a reward. !! Thank you so much for your time and finding a solution

Grendari

Hi my English is not perfect I use google translator. But I would like to share with you how I solved the image tearing. What have I changed and set up? I have two monitors 144 Hz Gaming monitor Asus VG279Q and secondary monitor HP X24ih

Xbox Game Bar - OFF
Game Mode - ON

Nvidia control panel setting:
Adjust deskopt size and position - Scaling set to full - screen and Perform scaling on set to Display [use this setting for both monitors]
monit.JPG

I only turned on G-sync on the Asus VG279Q game monitor
gsznc.JPG

Manage 3D settings:Everything by default except:

Low latency mode: set to Ultra
Monitor technology: set to G-SYNC compatible
Power managment mode: set to Optimal power
Prefered refresh rate: set to Application-controlled
Vertical sync: set to Use the 3D application settings
gpuuuu.jpg

Configure surround, PhysX: set to default - Auto-select
auto.JPG

Another problem I fixed was that both my monitors have different Hz
The Asus VG279Q has a default of 143,998 Hz and the HP X24ih has a default of 143,988 Hz
That's why I used the Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) : cru-1.5.1.zip

And I set both monitors to the same value using this utility 144.011
144.JPG

Windows settings: right-click on the desktop - Display settings - Graphics settings and Hardware-accelerated GPU set to OFF and Variable refresh rate set to OFF and RESTART PC

Now my recordings and streams are smooth.
My OBS settings is: I use a value of 0 for B-frames because a value of 2 doesn't look nice for fast games
When recording and streaming, I do not use the preview in obs
obs.jpg

My twitch chnnel is name Grendari

Attachments

• gpu 001.JPG
    gpu 001.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 56
  • cru 001.JPG
    cru 001.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 53
  • xobx game bar.JPG
    xobx game bar.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Game mode.JPG
    Game mode.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

RockinX

I too, have some stuttering on the framerate of my capture device, and what's weird is that it doesn't affect recordings (If it looks like 30 FPS, it will still be 60 FPS when viewing a recording). I've tried everything, and nothing seems to make the problem better. Sometimes it looks as if the problem has been solved, but then the stuttering starts all over again. It's been like this ever since I changed my motherboard, and I really am out of things to try.

Hi guys,

There are loads of potential fixes on here, many of which I don't understand, so is there any remedy yet? I have the same issue as the last poster: I get intermittent stuttering in preview but recorded video is smooth. GPU (RX 580) runs at about 20%, and CPU (i7 4790) at 2%. Would be awesome to have a preview screen that doesn't stutter after 5-15 minutes. I am looking at new motherboards (mine is from 2013) cos I really want to fix it. I have a SOOMFON capture card and totally thought it was to blame, but I get a smooth video from it. The signal coming back from OBS to my TV is interrupted somehow. I am deffo gonna check windows defender and auto updates. Might have system monitor running to see if any processes are kicking in during stuttery moments.

RockinX

Well, I did many things, and I think I found a solution that I can definitely say has helped with the problem after implementing it. First, I started running OBS as an administrator, which seems to have eliminated the stutter for the most part (I think I still have it, but it occurs only once in a while). But I also realized that I started experiencing gradual audio desync, and after I disabled replay buffer on OBS, I haven't noticed any more audio desync issues.

RockinX

Well, after a few days of testing, the framerate will still stutter once in a while, and it won't go away unless I restart OBS. Back to the drawing board, I guess.

Well, after a few days of testing, the framerate will still stutter once in a while, and it won't go away unless I restart OBS. Back to the drawing board, I guess.
You're not the only one. I know this software is free, but it would be nice if a developer was here to shine some light on this. At least acknowledge it or perhaps point us in the right direction. Is it the capture card? Is it the GPU? Is it OBS? It would be nice to know. I can manage about 30 minutes until the stuttering/25fps happens with a Soomfon capture card and RX-580 - this is just the preview screen! 30 mins is better than the 15 I was getting before I upgraded my hardware. I just wish the CPU or GPU would put some effort it when it's running. It's like the system is idle. You would think by now it would be possible to plug a camera in to your computer without it stuttering. I got an expensive camera, a video capture card, and a graphics card, yet it seems not enough to display a stable frame-rate, indefinitely.

RockinX

I'd totally pay for being able to enjoy OBS without the stutter. I can use Avermedia's RECentral without it, but after a while it will start having audio desync issues. OBS doesn't anymore, but suffers from the stutter. Sad face.

I've recently upgraded to a B550 board, R5 3600 and DDR4 ram, and still the same stutter issue after about 30 minutes. I even bought an Elgato Cam link 4K after a representative convinced me it would be a good idea, but surprise surprise, the problem still remains as it does with the Soomfon device. All that is left is the RX-580 and my AX53 camera. I guess I will be upgrading my graphics card soon - not for better performance in games, but so I can get a stable 1080 50fps with OBS preview. Horrible waste of money for what seems like a compatibility issue. Anyone have any solutions? I can't deal with any more customer service "experts". I'll post back when a new superduper GPU does nothing to fix the stutter.

RockinX

I don't think upgrading would be the solution, but honestly, I never had the stuttering problem with my MSI B550-A Pro, and my current motherboard is a B550M Steel Legend from Asrock. I wonder if there is any connection.

Elgato say my system meets the requirements, so I bought the Cam link 4K so I could get some technical support from them. If they don't have any fixes for me and just conclude that I need a newer GPU, then I will be annoyed as I will have lost £80 on the extra capture card. They are going to troubleshoot it with me over the next few days, so I will report back. I find it really strange that no one on this forum knows what the problem is. Even after restarting OBS, the stutter is often still there.

I needed to upgrade my system anyway, but was sad that the problem persisted. It can only be the RX-580, or perhaps the camera I am using, but I am on a mission to get this sorted out.

Vaesive

Started experiencing this problem as well within the last couple days. Never seen in in the years of using OBS before; if there was preview lag there WAS stream/recording lag. Now my preview gets like 10fps but my streams and recordings are just fine. I was losing my mind but fortunately a viewer took a clip showing 0 lag or dropped frames going through the stream. So now I can only (hopefully) rely on the stats box to know if I'm actually dropping frames or not.