Question / Help Stutter in stream/preview. No rendering/encoding lag.

SteevE-G

Has anyone made any progress on this

On my side I got an amazing improvement just by making some changes on G-Sync and V-Sync settings. In fact activating G-Sync for my game but not for OBS solved the issue for my desktop capture (because my game is not compatible with game capture on OBS). There is still some small stuttering every 25 seconds but it's very acceptable now.

The strange thing is G-Sync improved my source in OBS while my monitor is absolutely not G-Sync compatible. So I don't really understand. Especially because G-Sync is usually not recommended for OBS.

It's still not perfect but clearly better. I don't know if your issue and mine are similar, but for sure on my side I'll have to make more tests with G-Sync and V-Sync settings. I feel I'm on the good way.

fatmatrow

On my side I got an amazing improvement just by making some changes on G-Sync and V-Sync settings. In fact activating G-Sync for my game but not for OBS solved the issue for my desktop capture (because my game is not compatible with game capture on OBS). There is still some small stuttering every 25 seconds but it's very acceptable now.

The strange thing is G-Sync improved my source in OBS while my monitor is absolutely not G-Sync compatible. So I don't really understand. Especially because G-Sync is usually not recommended for OBS.

It's still not perfect but clearly better. I don't know if your issue and mine are similar, but for sure on my side I'll have to make more tests with G-Sync and V-Sync settings. I feel I'm on the good way.
Yeah I don't have a monitor with gsync or that is gsync compatible or the option for it in nvidia control panel

Selatium

After so many years I found a solution for this, and thanks to the user that posted the site with the vsync test (@lacie_mouse) I noticed that my OBS for some reason was showing red and cyan colors every 30 or 40 seconds, when I changed windows, when I clicked another tab, or even by itself without doing anything and just letting the test run for a few minutes. The solution after a while trying all dumb things that I could was changing the fps from 60 to 59.94. For some reason my OBS preview act kinda crazy with 60fps.

I guess we aren't having all the same issue here but maybe some people have the same one that I had and can finally find a solution for this.

fatmatrow

After so many years I found a solution for this, and thanks to the user that posted the site with the vsync test (@lacie_mouse) I noticed that my OBS for some reason was showing red and cyan colors every 30 or 40 seconds, when I changed windows, when I clicked another tab, or even by itself without doing anything and just letting the test run for a few minutes. The solution after a while trying all dumb things that I could was changing the fps from 60 to 59.94. For some reason my OBS preview act kinda crazy with 60fps.

I guess we aren't having all the same issue here but maybe some people have the same one that I had and can finally find a solution for this.
I will try this but won't it mess up reproduction on other devices, like someone watching your stream will see stutter?

*Update: tried this, it leads to a desync every 14-16 seconds*

My issue doesn't typically happen until like 20-45 minutes in

Last edited:

psydome

Since upgrading to 26.1.1 I'm having this issue too, I think. I've tried downgrading to both 26.1 and 26.0.2, but it does not help. I have also tried setting FPS to 59.94 instead of 60, but that also did not work. I can only see that this happens when I record Cyberpunk 2077, and I did not have this issue before.

This is an example from the latest video I recorded: https://youtu.be/WjgdNvvuJL8

The stuttering showed here is not represented in the game, but is visible in the preview in OBS while playing and recording.

fatmatrow

Since upgrading to 26.1.1 I'm having this issue too, I think. I've tried downgrading to both 26.1 and 26.0.2, but it does not help. I have also tried setting FPS to 59.94 instead of 60, but that also did not work. I can only see that this happens when I record Cyberpunk 2077, and I did not have this issue before.

This is an example from the latest video I recorded: https://youtu.be/WjgdNvvuJL8

The stuttering showed here is not represented in the game, but is visible in the preview in OBS while playing and recording.
Have you tried using display capture?

They are working on a workaround for the dx12 game capture issue

fatmatrow

I also have this issue and it's spanned multiple PCs in a two PC environment.

Went from a 5820k based dedicated streaming PC to a 3900X rebuild with a 1660 and still have the same issue. Tried, as suggested by someone else, to disable hyper threading but that didn't do anything unfortunately.

Occurs with both an Elgato 4k Pro and a Magewell 4k Plus. Also have seen the issue in both PC and console inputs, though the console (Switch) seems to present it less often and less aggressively.

Like others, the behaviour is also visible when OBS is simply idling with the preview window up - not streaming or recording. At first I thought it was just the preview but it makes its way into the stream or recording as well.

I can say that it also happens in Xsplit with roughly the same behaviour, and it also happens in the Elgato 4k Capture Utility.

I've tried different 120hz and 144hz EDIDs for both capture cards to see if it made a difference but it hasn't seemed to.

This is either a REALLY specific Windows + hardware issue, or something really weird. I can't begin to fathom what it is but it drives me crazy because there's no reason the streaming PC should have a single frame out of place given the spec and uncomplicated A/V chain.
have you found a solution for this yet? I built an entire second PC and I'm still having the same issue on both still. I've done 200 hours of troubleshooting over the last month with nothing to show for it. I've controlled for everything, so its down to a windows or nvidia issue I think. But I have no idea where to go with this. I've tried pretty much everything

d3ads1d3

I been having issues with this for a looong time now, I am curious is there anyone in here with a Radeon card that has this same issue of stutter in OBS preview?

krunnky

I just read this whole thread because my new Ryzen 3900x and RTX 3080 build was having this exact issue. This may not work for everything. But I found that I had G-SYNC on for one monitor and not the other somehow. I turned it off on all 3 and my stutter went away. After seeing the desperation of this thread, I figured it was worth a shot in sharing. Good luck friends!

uwu

Same problem here, Reports telling me PC is piss chilling all around and stream should be flawless but dropping frames for no reason.
I downloaded an mp4 of a butter smooth 1080/60 video and added it to a scene as a media source n looped it. No stutter anymore lol. I also used to stream via capture card for console games and stream/recordings would be 60 frames butter all along. For those streams i would use "video capture device" as a capture method. But somehow whenever i use game/display/window capture i get the same stutter as im pretty sure you all have no matter what i tweak. Funny thing is that while frames are dropping on whats display/game/capture is recording, alerts and chatbox are all rolling on smooth 60
Im gonna borrow an elgato HD60 S from a friend of mine in a week or so and do some testing. Ill try to use capture card as monitor and clone output from my main, when its all set ill use Video Capture Device (instead of some workaround projecting output and using display capture like some dual pc guys do) on a scene and run a game see how it looks.

I'm on single pc dual 1080/144 setup

Tiffo

Hi everyone,

What fixed it for me was dealing with vsync, windows game mode and fps inside OBS

I have a dual PC setup, I play in 100,120, 144fps depending on the game. I have a 4K capture card sending my exact fps to OBS because I'm duplicating my screen.I was having lots os stuttering on OBS preview but my stream was quite good and recording was also ok, but when I looked to the preview I was always insecure if my stream was ok or if people was havinf fps drops or screen tearing...

I did the following:
On Gaming PC I disabled vsync ingame, and turned it on on NVCP

On Stream PC I turned it completely off and set low latency mode to ultra, so I have 0 frames waiting to be shown. I also disabled game mode and anythng that could possibly interfere with OBS, anything that could put some overlay or something like that.Now my preview works fine.
I can play in high fps while streaming in a solid 60fps. It's also important to set the capture card to capture only 60fps. If you allow Highest Fps, the preview will show screan tearing.

I tried many things... many, for months and I was having this exact same issue even when I was using a 1080p60 capture card...
This fixed the things for me, and I hope it helps someone else

chrcoluk

Hi guys, same issue here.

Preview stuttery, no idea if it affects stream as I mostly use OBS for recordingm, or sometimes because I cannot be bothered to switch monitor to also just play remotely on PC from console.

When I was on windows 8.1 I observed when recording the issue went away, yes you heard me right, I put OBS under more load and it smoothed out lol. However on windows 10 recording doesnt temporarily fix it.

For me it seems a rendering issue, as my recordings dont have the problem (n both win 8 and 10). The fact the recordings are fine tell me the issue is not the capturing, but its just a stuttery display of the image inside OBS. The pattern is a small period of time of normal frame timings maybe 5-10 seconds, and 1-2 seconds of stutter, repeat forever.

I will try your tips Tiffo and report back tommorow.

Sinadrin

Hi guys, I have the same problem with stuttering. I followed the steps of @Tiffo but I don't improve anything.

https://youtu.be/thXVzETtUkI

0:26 - 0:31
55:29 - 55:56

I think there are more stuttering problems in the video, but I have not seen it completely.

I have a dual pc and I put these settings:

Stream PC:
-Disabled Gsync
-Disabled game mode and any overlay that may interfere
-I set the low latency mode to "Ultra"
-I set the video capture at 60fps

Gaming PC:
-Disabled Gsync
-I turned off vsync in the game and activated it in the NVCP

My configuration is

Stream PC
AVerMedia Live Gamer 4K GC573
Core i7 8700k (not overclocked)
32GB DDR4
1660 Super
Windows 10 (Build 20H2)

Gaming PC
Core i7 1700K (not overclocked)
32GB DDR4
2080 Ti
Windows 10 (Build 20H2)
(capture with 120hz without Gsync)

fatmatrow

Has anyone with dual pc tried OBS on linux? maybe the way of capture is different.
I've tried it on Linux and it works fine but Linux is hardware limited for certain audio and video devices so it's not a solution, it also doesn't tell us the problem, because it handles everything so differently

boomyak

Pretty beside myself, spent $5000 on a one-PC streaming rig, and now I get this problem which seems to be unfixable. I've tried all the fixes in this thread to no avail.

SLOBS works fine with no stutter in the preview, nor when streaming. But it doesn't support audio VSTs, which I need for my stream. Maybe that's what's screwing me up with OBS? Doubtful as the problem has been around for a while now, just finally have the rig to squash it once and for all.

Also my version of the issue is alot worse than others i've seen posting videos. Mine is drops from 60 fps to 30 fps about half of the time, and it's totally random, it will switch one way or the other every x seconds, from 1-2 seconds, to 60+ seconds, either at 60fps or 30fps

5950x
32GB 3600 CL14

Sad doesn't begin to describe my feelings towards this, at least some people seem to have fixed their issues which is heartening.