Streaming over cellular data to OBS on Wi-fi network

glwx

Hello all,

I am a storm chaser and I am currently trying to discover some options to send a video stream over cellular data to a Linux computer on a different wireless network. I understand this will require some use of VPN which I also am not very informed in. Does anyone have any suggestions or know a step-by-step resource to set this up?

My goal is that if my cellular stream cuts out that OBS will be able to continue my stream until my phone can send video from the cellular network again.

Any assistance is appreciated. Thank you!

Lawrence_SoCal

For others to chime in with more targeted suggestions:
- I'd back up a bit and ask what you are trying to accomplish (more so than described above). For example, or you planning for OBS to composite (change) the video feed you are sending it via cellular? if not, why not send your mobile video feed direct to stream provider (CDN), and OBS sending a backup stream the CDN which can be set to auto fail-over to backup stream?
- Sending a video feed to another computer over the internet does NOT require VPN. I'm not suggesting not using a VPN, but that will involve overhead, and there are other ways to secure the connection (certificates, etc). In that upload cellular bandwidth is NOT as stable as a decent wired Internet connection, therefore if you are trying to maximize usable bandwidth, VPN overhead might be something to avoid. maybe.
- What EXACTLY do you mean by "Linux computer on a different wireless network" ?

AaronD

If I understand you correctly, you want to use your phone in the middle of who-knows-where as a live source in OBS, which is running safely at home. Automatic or manual switching in OBS is a different question, not covered here. Did I get it right?

If so, then you might look at this app:

I already knew about it, so it didn't take much googling to find a TON of tutorials and examples. Now that you know too, so can you. :-)

The protocol that it uses isn't the lowest latency, so I use something different in my studio, but it's designed specifically to survive the internet, while my preferred studio one isn't.

glwx

Yes, that is correct! I actually have been attempting to use Larix to broadcast as an SRT source to OBS studio. So far, however, I have not been able to transmit the video stream to OBS despite having the source set up properly (I followed the directions from the video you have published above) Is there a specific port I need to forward in order for it to run successfully?

AaronD

Yes, that is correct! I actually have been attempting to use Larix to broadcast as an SRT source to OBS studio. So far, however, I have not been able to transmit the video stream to OBS despite having the source set up properly (I followed the directions from the video you have published above) Is there a specific port I need to forward in order for it to run successfully?
I remember seeing something to that effect as I was looking for my solution. I don't know who said what, but it is a direct use-case of SRT to send a bunch of live sources across the internet to a home-office for the production work. The example was a low-budget news program or something like that, with a reporter at each location using a phone for their camera. Keep googling.

Does it at least work with everything local, all on the same network?

AaronD

So far have not been able to achieve it on the same network either
I got mine to work on the same network, then saw that the latency was too much for an immediate-feedback studio monitor (which you're not doing). Of course, you'll need to fix the local connection first before you try it across the internet.

Can the OBS machine ping the phone? Can the phone ping the OBS machine? That'd be my first place to start.

Tomasz Góral

I think - use vdo.ninja to stream from phone to OBS.
For stable connection i suggest use bonding, my self build bonding device with on miniPC like Minix or Raspberry pi and 4 lte modems.

glwx

This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for! Thank you so much

In an effort to optimize video, can I adjust certain settings to boost video quality such as latency, bitrate, etc?

AaronD

This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for! Thank you so much

In an effort to optimize video, can I adjust certain settings to boost video quality such as latency, bitrate, etc?
Oh yeah, there's that too. I took one look and immediately wrote it off because it would require live internet to make my studio work. (or at least that's the impression that I got and it did nothing to dissuade it) ABSOLUTELY NOT am I going to do that!

But if you're running across the internet anyway, it hardly matters that the platform requires it. Have fun!

Tomasz Góral

Oh yeah, there's that too. I took one look and immediately wrote it off because it would require live internet to make my studio work. (or at least that's the impression that I got and it did nothing to dissuade it) ABSOLUTELY NOT am I going to do that!

But if you're running across the internet anyway, it hardly matters that the platform requires it. Have fun!
No need that, download server (check on github) and run in local network.