Stream has lots of grain on a good computer

Kurbo1

Hello,
I am about to get into streaming, and I want to make obs as clear as possible. However, when I view what the stream output would be, recording with the stream encoder, it looks really grainy. My computer is definetly not maxing out during recording because I have 0 missed or skipped frames. For bitrate I have it set to twitch's maximum (6000 kbps). All of my video settings are pretty much identical to every guide online and they don't look very good. Any help to make my stream look better is awesome! Thanks in advance!

Laptop Specs:
RTX 2060 mobile
i7 - 10750H
32 GB Memory

Stream Settings:
NVIDIA NVENC (New)
CBR at 6000 Kbps
2 second Keyframe Interval
Preset: Quality
Profile: high
Look-Ahead: Disabled
Psycho Visual Tuning: On
GPU: 0
B-Frames: 2

Video Settings:
Canvas Resolution: 2560x1440
Scaled: 1280x720
Downscale: Bicubic
FPS: Common Values 60

Attachments

• 2021-02-08 09-10-11.txt
    6.9 KB · Views: 47

Kurbo1

Thank you for your reply, I changed all of my settings to match your suggestions. However, my video still looks a bit off. Below are the most recent log and a screenshot of what I am talking about.
Thanks again for responding!

Attachments

• 2021-02-09 09-06-50.txt
    12.8 KB · Views: 41
  • CarSoccer.jpg
    CarSoccer.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 102

Kurbo1

It is sort of starting to look better, but I feel like the NVENC isn't using my GPU to its full potential. Is there anything I can do to make it use more encoding power?

Harold

There are little things that will increase the GPU use greatly for minimal quality gain, but the above recommendation of 900p is going to cause playback issues for viewers, go farther down to 720p.

Kurbo1

I changed it back to 720p and it is still not very sharp. Are there any windows settings I could possibly change? I have all of the game settings turned off.

Kurbo1

I've been messing around today, and I think my main problem is scaling artifacts. Are there any NVIDIA settings I can change to scale with a bit more quality?

FerretBomb

I've been messing around today, and I think my main problem is scaling artifacts. Are there any NVIDIA settings I can change to scale with a bit more quality?
Unfortunately if you're already using Lanczos or Bicubic as your downscale, that's the best quality you're going to really get.
One option that sacrifices your own comfort for stream quality is to run your monitor at 720p. 1:1 with no downscale is the way to deliver maximum stream fidelity.
It may also just come down to managing expectations. 1440p downscaled to 720p will simply not look as good as 1440p. No way around that.
If you want to devote more bitrate to image quality though, try dropping from 60fps to 30fps. It should reduce the pixelation and noise. 60fps isn't a 'need to have', and doubles the bitrate needed to deliver the same image quality. Especially in complex/noisy and fast-moving video.

Kurbo1

Ok, thank you all so much for your help! I really have learned a lot through this and I hope all of you have a good day!