Question / Help Stream gets pixelated on 6000 bitrate

Hello!

Welll i have had allot of pixelation on my streams.
Some info
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The internet upload speed = 20 MBPS and there has never been any dropped frames on my streams.
The download speed = 250 BMPS
----------------------------------------------
My cpu = i7 8700k
My Gpu = RTX 2070
My Ram = 32 GB
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I play mostly fps games on my 144 hertz monitor.
For streaming i use the x264 preset with 6k bitrate and everything looks pixelated.
For recording i use the RTX 2070 preset with 20K bitrate and everything looks fine.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I want to stream 720p 60fps witouth pixelation should be doable right?
I have seen many friends that had no issue at all doing this.
So why me :(
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can find the log file in the "Attached Files"

Here are some screenshots with my current settings for streaming.

1570908362601.png

1570908390326.png

1570908403880.png

Attachments

• 2019-10-09 20-56-41.txt
    26.5 KB · Views: 315

SpectreKid

Hello!

Welll i have had allot of pixelation on my streams.
Some info
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The internet upload speed = 20 MBPS and there has never been any dropped frames on my streams.
The download speed = 250 BMPS
----------------------------------------------
My cpu = i7 8700k
My Gpu = RTX 2070
My Ram = 32 GB
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I play mostly fps games on my 144 hertz monitor.
For streaming i use the x264 preset with 6k bitrate and everything looks pixelated.
For recording i use the RTX 2070 preset with 20K bitrate and everything looks fine.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I want to stream 720p 60fps witouth pixelation should be doable right?
I have seen many friends that had no issue at all doing this.
So why me :(
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can find the log file in the "Attached Files"

Here are some screenshots with my current settings for streaming.

View attachment 48389

View attachment 48390

View attachment 48391
In a recent patch, not too long ago, NVENC got a huge quality boost, where it supersedes x264 Medium, even at 1080p, 60fps. I would go as far as to say to use NVENC, 6000 bitrate, but even turn up your resolution up to 1080p. I am on a potato (RX 560), and I use the AMF encoder, and it still looks fine at 6000, even when AMF is almost an antique at this point. I hope this helps, and reply if you have any questions!

In a recent patch, not too long ago, NVENC got a huge quality boost, where it supersedes x264 Medium, even at 1080p, 60fps. I would go as far as to say to use NVENC, 6000 bitrate, but even turn up your resolution up to 1080p. I am on a potato (RX 560), and I use the AMF encoder, and it still looks fine at 6000, even when AMF is almost an antique at this point. I hope this helps, and reply if you have any questions!
Thanks for the tips il try that

SpectreKid

Of course, and if you have any problems, I will help you. I have tons of spare time, because I totally did everything I needed to do.

SpectreKid

Can you link me to what the stream looks like right now? NVENC with 6000 bitrate at 1080p 60fps should look excellent with my settings.

(Also turn your color space to 709, it makes the video less grainy.)

Can you link me to what the stream looks like right now? NVENC with 6000 bitrate at 1080p 60fps should look excellent with my settings.

(Also turn your color space to 709, it makes the video less grainy.)

Here is a video of me playing Destiny 2 https://www.twitch.tv/videos/494815656. The servers are a little laggy today but the pixelation is stil there in fps games. In RTS games its fine because there is not allot of details to render.
I am currently using 8000 bitrate with the nvenc (new) settings.

Settings

Output :

Enforce streaming encoding settings off.
Rate Control CBR.
Bitrate 8000.
Keyframe 2 seconds.
Preset Quality.
Profile High.
Look Ahead off.
Psycho visual tuning on by default.
GPU 0
Max B Frames 2.

Video :

Base 1920x1080
Output 1920x1080
Downscale filter Bicubic
Common FPS Values 60

What i changed :

After the stream i changed the color space to 709 so the colors on the link were still 601.
I also changed the color range to FULL instead of Partial.
Downscale filter wil now be Lanczos in the next test stream.

Process Priorty is stil on normal.

Hope we can figure this out together man. Its okay to stream 810p or 720p on 60fps as long as it works. But there is pixelation on those streams as wel with the same settings as the 1080p which is weird cause it should be doing better with the pixelation in my opinion.

Hope to hear frome you soon.

Pixelation in fast shooter games (or any thing else with many fast changing pixels in the scene) with only 6000kbit/s @1080p/60fps is absolutely normal.

Yeah i don't expect a clear stream with 1080p 60fps without being partner. But i have the same issue with 720p 60fps so i want to stream on 720p 60 fps but there seems to be pixelation on those streams as wel. Thats why i'm streaming 1080p 60fps because those settings actually get rid of most of the pixelations.

BK-Morpheus

Just to clarify: Are you talking about pixelation/compression artifacts (usually visible in motion) or simply about sharpness/details in general?
I'm just asking because 720p 60fps 6000kbit/s will still not be perfect but it should result in less compression artifacts then 1080p 60fps 6000kbit/s as there is more bitrate per pixel available.

SpectreKid

Here is a video of me playing Destiny 2 https://www.twitch.tv/videos/494815656. The servers are a little laggy today but the pixelation is stil there in fps games. In RTS games its fine because there is not allot of details to render.
I am currently using 8000 bitrate with the nvenc (new) settings.

Settings

Output :

Enforce streaming encoding settings off.
Rate Control CBR.
Bitrate 8000.
Keyframe 2 seconds.
Preset Quality.
Profile High.
Look Ahead off.
Psycho visual tuning on by default.
GPU 0
Max B Frames 2.

Video :

Base 1920x1080
Output 1920x1080
Downscale filter Bicubic
Common FPS Values 60

What i changed :

After the stream i changed the color space to 709 so the colors on the link were still 601.
I also changed the color range to FULL instead of Partial.
Downscale filter wil now be Lanczos in the next test stream.

Process Priorty is stil on normal.

Hope we can figure this out together man. Its okay to stream 810p or 720p on 60fps as long as it works. But there is pixelation on those streams as wel with the same settings as the 1080p which is weird cause it should be doing better with the pixelation in my opinion.

Hope to hear frome you soon.
Your stream looks pretty normal. I don't see any pixelation on my side. For 8000 bitrate, it looks EXTREMELY good; better than anything I have seen and used.

Also, don't change to Lanczos. Bicubic is the sharpest out of all of them, and also try changing to High process priority, if it makes a difference at all.

Just to clarify: Are you talking about pixelation/compression artifacts (usually visible in motion) or simply about sharpness/details in general?
I'm just asking because 720p 60fps 6000kbit/s will still not be perfect but it should result in less compression artifacts then 1080p 60fps 6000kbit/s as there is more bitrate per pixel available.

Yes i am talking about the pixelation/compression artifacts

Your stream looks pretty normal. I don't see any pixelation on my side. For 8000 bitrate, it looks EXTREMELY good; better than anything I have seen and used.

Also, don't change to Lanczos. Bicubic is the sharpest out of all of them, and also try changing to High process priority, if it makes a difference at all.

8000 bitrate would be a problem for phone users because they can't watch with 8000 bitrate.
This last video was streamed with 6000 bitrate > https://www.twitch.tv/videos/495108539
Il change lanczos back to bicubic and il change to high process priority as wel.
Lets see if that makes a difference :D
Thanks for all the help so far guys <3

BK-Morpheus

If you're restricted to max 6000kbit/s (either from the streaming platform or simply to make sure that you can reach more viewers), you can only reduce framerate or resolution to reduce compression artifacts. Changing the process priority does not impact compression quality but changing the filter from lanczos to bicubic will improve compression quality very slightly, because lanczos adds higher contrast edges / sharpness which eats a bit more bitrate in movement.

DeMoN

Also, don't change to Lanczos. Bicubic is the sharpest out of all of them
That's not true.
Lanczos 3 scales sharper. But the higher sharpness may result in more bitrate needed. Maybe you like bicubic due to that more.
But excluding low bitrate conditions Lanczos 3 is the sharper and also better scaler.

FerretBomb

You should not be using Full color range. Switch it back. It's set to Partial by default for a reason; the Twitch player and almost all monitors out there use Partial, and forcing on Full without taking the prerequisite steps to avoid color range mismatch will just result in washed out and/or weird colors.

Downscaling video will always come with a quality loss. For best quality, play at the same resolution you plan to stream at.
Failing that, a full-integer downscale will help maintain quality (1440p to 720p being a 2:1 downscale, 2160p to 720p being a 3:1 downscale).
Worst is a non-integer downscale, like 1080p to 720p. This will cause the most quality loss, scaling artifacts, text issues, etc.

Lanczos vs Bicubic is more of a personal preference as well as what type of video you're scaling than anything else. Lanczos DOES include a sharpening pass, which can introduce over-sharpen artifacts (halos, shadows, etc). The scaling method you use will NOT affect the bitrate needed. Bicubic is generally preferred, but there is no effective performance difference so give both a try and use whichever you like more.

BK-Morpheus

Scaling method can affect the needed bitrate...softer image = less needed bitrate. Sharper Image + halows/shadows = more bitrate.
Of course this is so subtle that it shouldn't make a noticable difference in pixelation / bitrate needed.

Every Ingame graphic feature does have way more impact than OBS downscale filter...enabling motion blur, depth of field, anti-aliasing...that's all good for video compression.

SpectreKid

That's not true.
Lanczos 3 scales sharper. But the higher sharpness may result in more bitrate needed. Maybe you like bicubic due to that more.
But excluding low bitrate conditions Lanczos 3 is the sharper and also better scaler.
I have not tested that, is it the other way around?

Lanczos uses a bit more resources than Bicubic, so I'm not sure if it is worth the unnoticeable tradeoff.