Bug Report Stopping recording never ends

Harold

You probably have to give up on that recording at this point.
You should also switch your recording format to flv.

Suslik V

Also, you may experiment with Custom Muxer Settings to write fragmented (less compatible, maybe player and edit software update required, but you'll be able to save aborted recordings) mp4/mov file:
Code:
movflags=frag_keyframe min_frag_duration=4000000

General info about application, OBS Studio Help Guide: https://obsproject.com/forum/resour...ware-studio-multiplatform-help-guide-pdf.365/

If you still trying to view and edit your fragmented mp4 file created in such way, and hadn't reach any success - try to re-multiplex it by OBS Studio's main menu File>Remux Recordings.

As for repair of the broken file you've had, you need special tools, for example: mp4 recording corrupt cause out of space

aldobiol

If I change the settings to .mov, will this be less problematic? Because I'd still like to have the audio in differente tracks =/

Jack Mason

I have this issue, but only when stopping a stream to Ustream. I tried changing the recoding format to flv, lowered the bitrate to 3000 (I'm on a 2016 MacBook Pro 15. Is there other things I should try? The stream is being recorded in the cloud, and seems to work fine, so should I not be bothering to record locally? If so, not sure I saw a way to turn off recording when I start the stream.

Samuel Jolaoso

This may be a older thread, but if this is a issue whats the point of using mp4? if this issue persist with everyone it seems (I'm not sure if its everyone)

Harold

There there is no point in saving directly to mp4, but people insist on doing it at their own risk.

Harold

A corrupt MP4 is compatible with nothing.

A corrupt MKV or FLV is compatible with ffmpeg, vlc, and a lot of other software and can still be converted for use in programs that don't support them.

Last edited:

Suslik V

I see no way, how it is better, to remultiplex fragmented self-contained .mp4 (if your software outdated) or to remultiplex .mkv (if format not supported by editor).

CandyAngel

I've just experienced the same issue (OBS was stuck on "Stopping Recording") but I'm not saving to MP4 (it's FLV).

Looking at the logs, it hadn't actually tried to stop the recording..

Code:
$ <2018-09-08\ 21-01-13.txt grep ====
21:01:15.175: ==== Startup complete ===============================================
21:34:24.256: ==== Recording Start ===============================================
21:34:43.314: ==== Streaming Start ===============================================
21:34:47.455: ==== Streaming Stop ================================================
21:35:14.827: ==== Streaming Start ===============================================
23:45:15.523: ==== Streaming Stop ================================================

I even tried to start the stream again after this and then it also got stuck saying "Connecting".. hitting Ctrl+C in the terminal actually make it "carry on", the recording stopped and it started streaming. Not sure what received the interrupt signal, but whatever it was had really confused OBS :P

JasonVP

I just started having this issue on my machine today. Mind you I'm recording w/NVENC. Today's change was updating to NVidia's 416.16 driver, which I think is the culprit in my case. Bear in mind that the new RTX line of cards that's out has a newer NVENC encoder on it, supposedly capable of much better results. I'm guessing NVidia may have snuck some API changes in to yesterday's driver? Dunno.

I start the recording and OBS shows that it's recording. But it's actually not doing anything as I record to a striped pair of HDDs. I can hear them when OBS is recording, and in this case: nothing. No disk access at all. I have to force kill OBS from the Task Manager because using the Exit button doesn't work. The OBS window disappears, but the process gets put in the background.

Downgrading the NVidia driver back to 411.70 seems to have fixed the issue in my case.

Might be a worthwhile experiment to upgrade a test rid to the latest version of Windows 10 (when MS re-releases it) and NVidia v416.16. Try to record using NVENC to MP4 (I need the multiple audio tracks and like the compact files). See if you can reproduce what I've run into.

Harold

Try to record using NVENC to MP4 (I need the multiple audio tracks and like the compact files)
Please don't recommend saving directly to mp4.
MKV supports multi-track audio and doesn't have the problem of destroying the entire recording when the file doesn't finalize properly.