Some desktop sounds going through to mic/aux

I'm new to recording and I noticed this persistent issue where certain sounds that are loud enough, like some voice lines (particularly voices in cutscenes,) gunshots, or weapons hitting walls, will quietly pop up on the wrong track.
I first noticed it in Cyberpunk2077 when there was an echo in my recording, but the problem also showed up in Terraria so I don't think it's game specific.
When I tested to see if my friend could hear it on discord, he couldn't even when his headset and computer volumes were maxed out; that tells me it's likely specific to OBS.
This issue even persists if I click the mute button on my headset.

here's a video of the issue. Ignore the last slide, this video was made before I noticed it wasn't just voices.

My headset is a Kracken X for consoles

log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/IcF3gjz2qewmQ3A-
I changed my sample rate to 44.1, but it was previous 48 and the issue was still there.

Sukiyucky

Open mics pickup sounds. Mute the mics for sources and don't tick on the tracks in Advanced Audio Properties for sources you don't want to capture audio for.

Something like your speakers, the webcam should be muted. Or something like your headphones too close to your mic.

Open mics pickup sounds. Mute the mics for sources and don't tick on the tracks in Advanced Audio Properties for sources you don't want to capture audio for.

Something like your speakers, the webcam should be muted. Or something like your headphones too close to your mic.
Even if the mic is muted with its button on the headset, it will still pick up sound?

What do you mean 'mute the mics for sources?'

Here are some pictures of my settings, if you could be more specific for me.
1608027093758.png

1608027124387.png

1608027218914.png

1608027286085.png

This last screen shot shows me that the issue continues even when desktop audio is muted. My headset mic is also muted here.

1608027489416.png

Mister36

Helped on discord, this is essentially a problem with the headset mic itself picking up noises from the headphones

Helped on discord, this is essentially a problem with the headset mic itself picking up noises from the headphones
I'm not sure what you're saying.
The headset mic was muted with physical button. Desktop audio was muted on OBS. There's no way for the mic to pick up audio, but the sound will still quietly play.

I redownloaded OBS and started from scratch with the same issue.

Issue doesn't show up on my computer sound settings or discord. I just downloaded SLOBS and it looks like the issue isn't present there either, which seems to confirm it's only happening on OBS. I would prefer to just use regular OBS since it's supposed to run easier on my computer as opposed to SLOBS and I would like to have the updates as they are publish, but this issue is causing echoes on my stream and recording; since the echo is on a different track, I can't even salvage the audio from my mic if I needed too. It's frustrating that there doesn't seem to be a solution.

Is there an official way to report this bug?

edit: so apparently is also DOES happen in SLOBS. Ahhhhhh I really don't know what to do. I feel like it will ruin any potential recordings.

Last edited:

Fitey

I had this problem as well and couldn't get a fix for months so I had to just unplug my mic from my computer altogether so that it would stop picking up game audio

then after months of not being able to use my mic, I randomly went through some audio settings in Realtek Audio Console and turned on AEC and noise suppression and it somehow stopped the echoing

Mister36

So based on some new personal experience, the problem could lie in where you are plugging the device in - basically my brother was having this same problem and I got him a new headset, still using a 3.5mm jack - but he uses an adapter to split the mic/audio to plug into his front panel - it could be a wire issue in the front panel/wherever you are plugging in to.

MAzing87

I have this very issue. I am using a yamaha 10 channel mixer, which is a great piece of hardware. However, when I use OBS, all output audio is going through my mic. By "all output audio" I physically have 2 additional soundcards on my system. One for discord, the other for music, and the main through the mixer's audio driver. It is as if OBS doesn't separate the audio sources the way I want it to. When I use my mic, it doesn't carry over to any of the output audio channels (which is correct). It's just that the game sound, discord, and music all are picked up by my Mic input (that shouldn't be a thing, yet sadly it is).

The only temporary fix I have found thus far is using Voicemeeter, which does a great job separating audio and keep each audio source independent. However, I just want to use my hardware with OBS and not have it pick up output audio through the Mic input. If anyone knows a solution to use hardware level setup for audio with OBS, that would be great.